NHL Team Elimination Thread

I said before the game yesterday that whoever won yesterdays game had won the series.

Which series, the one with Vancouver/Chicago or the '09 finals? And yeah, I know how they went, but if you refer to the latter, completely different teams are involved and the dynamics can't really be compared. If you refer to the first, Chicago > Boston.

I mean to say that Chicago's successful teams of yesteryear were more deep and offensively powerful than Boston's team today. Boston currently relies very heavily on the brilliant goaltending of Tim Thomas, in my view, while Chicago had both solid goaltending (though not as good as Timmy, I'll grant) and a powerful, physical offense. Boston's offense so far has only looked good in its two home games, which were each blowouts. So that's something, but overall, I would rather put money on Vancouver vs Boston than Vancouver vs Past Chicago.

I mean to say that Chicago's successful teams of yesteryear were more deep and offensively powerful than Boston's team today. Boston currently relies very heavily on the brilliant goaltending of Tim Thomas, in my view, while Chicago had both solid goaltending (though not as good as Timmy, I'll grant) and a powerful, physical offense. Boston's offense so far has only looked good in its two home games, which were each blowouts. So that's something, but overall, I would rather put money on Vancouver vs Boston than Vancouver vs Past Chicago.

I hate how everyone says this. When comparing two teams, they always say team A is better because team B only won because of their goaltender. Goalies are part of the team, so the better team will win regardless of if its because of a superior goalie or because of a superior offense.

I'm not saying that as much as I'm saying that Boston's performance hinges much more on the actions of a single person than a distributed group of people. You know what I mean?

At any rate, seems like we're getting a game 7! Exciting! :D

In the last 5 games Luo has a GAA of 4.47
In the last 4 games Luo has a GAA of 4.92
In the last 3 games Luo has a GAA of 3.89
In the last 2 games Luo has a GAA of 2.86 (despite 1 shutout)
In the last game Luo has a GAA of 32.72

Meanwhile Thomas has let in 6 goals in the last 5 games despite playing through all of them and not getting pulled twice.
Luo is a terrible goaly while Thomas is #1. When it matters most, (aka game 7) Thomas will show up and Luo will not...

That is... exactly my point. Vancouver has survived despite patchy goaltending, while I don't think that Boston would be able to do the same.

Unfortunately, I expect Vancouver to win. If it weren't for them playing in Vancouver, I would have picked Boston (Who I'm supporting).

I agree ilduce, goaltending is the cornerstone of any team's success. Observe Philadelphia, a very strong offensive team with chronic goaltending issues. And my thoughts are similar to NickyJ's- Vancouver's been getting better at facing Boston in the Gardens each game (8-1, 4-0, 5-2), while allowing only two goals against at home. My money's on Vancouver to take it, but whoever wins will definitely have done everything to deserve it.

Fun Fact: If Vancouver does win, it will have the most playoff travel miles accrued by a Stanley Cup winner in history- they had to travel to Chicago, Nashville, San Jose and Boston, each time from the northwesternmost edge of the league.

I would disagree that the team that wins deserves it.

About 1 in 3 games I watch, I see the game ruined by refs favoring one team.
In games 3 (Hit on Seabrook), 6 and 7 (The 2 disallowed goal) of Vancouver-Chicago, the refs certainly helped the Canucks success.
In games 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 of Detroit-San Jose, the refs heavily favored San Jose, which I believe is the main reason Detroit lost is. When the player who averages 15 PIM a year gets 12 PIM in 5 games, something is seriously wrong.
In games 3 and 5 of this series the refs favored Vancouver for sure. I didn't see last nights (to busy studying for physics) so can't judge last nights.

I hate refs and I find the let them play attitude to be bs...

Personally, I won't talk much about bad officiating- no call on a hit that fractures Mason Raymond's spine? That's just one example- personally, the officiating isn't biased, it's just inconsistent.

Well, that's that. Boston has defeated Vancouver. My team is defeated, and my prediction was incorrect. Be seeing you next year.

I would like to thank Vancouver's crowd. Even though I can't stand the team, the crowd seemed very mature and my respect for them as a club has increased, they didn't boo during the empty net goal, they cheered when Thomas received the Con Smythe, they cheered when Chara hoisted the Stanley Cup. They only boo'd when Gary the Weasel was talking, which I was as well.
The Canucks fans were very good losers, and unlike most fans, they were proud to get second place and acknowledged that at least tonight Boston was the better team.

If they fire their Coach and GM (which given their success I doubt they will), the Canucks will become my 3rd fav team...

Top Bottom