NiGHTS: General Discussion

Your nights mod is fantastic? I have tried a few games. Since I like the builder side of civ, over war mango, it's pace and more choices is wonderful. i do have a quick ? In nights, how do you win a cultural game? Thanks in advance.

Happy to hear you like it maqabee. :) In it's current form it definitely favors the builder side of CIV - that being said, the military side of the game will get a large boost in the next update as well in the form of new units/buildings, and how Unrest works with Units themselves.

Currently you need to unlock 1 complete Government Branch instead of the 5 Policy Branches like in Vanilla CIV V. At that point you can start building the Utopia Project.

This mechanic will be changing in v9 as you will no longer have to unlock Branches to build the Utopia Project - it will have other prerequisites. Personally I feel that tying a culture win to the unlocking of Branches stifles player choice and forces you to unlock branches rather than experimenting with a variety of policies - and that's the main reason why this mechanic will be changing.

So, will the (cropped out) Government screen resolution problem have a solution in the near future? Unfortunately my good monitor broke, so Im currently using a pretty ancient monitor, which supports up to 1024x768 only, so i cant fully play this wonderful looking mod.

So, will the (cropped out) Government screen resolution problem have a solution in the near future? Unfortunately my good monitor broke, so Im currently using a pretty ancient monitor, which supports up to 1024x768 only, so i cant fully play this wonderful looking mod.

At some point it will be - although I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze it into a 1024x768. It's a fix that will probably only happen once I've completed the mod, post v9, as it will involve a fair amount of photoshopping. Have you tried hooking it up to a TV with a higher resolution?

At some point it will be - although I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze it into a 1024x768. It's a fix that will probably only happen once I've completed the mod, post v9, as it will involve a fair amount of photoshopping. Have you tried hooking it up to a TV with a higher resolution?
Nah, the only TV I have available is similarly old, but thats ok since i dont watch much TV.
But hey, thanks for the fast answer.
/edit: Isn't there a way to add a scroll bar or similar? The only problem is that the first and last policy trees cannot be reached, the crop on top and bottom of the screen are no problem (those are also present on the tech pyramid, which is has no limitations).

markus, will V9 also support all DLC? There is this summer sale on Steam and I just bought all available additional civilizations and of course I'm now wondering if I will be able to play them in your mod.

EDIT: just opened a new game and they work fine :)

Yep - they're supported. :)

Will the benefits of the government policies alter then? I really like the policies as they are now since they make the transition from government to government seem natural instead of weird, forced, when made mutually exclusive.

Is it possible to take the second feudal policy branch and still open up the first city improvement one? The city trees seem like they should be, if not tied directly to policy, more loosely based on them.

Overall though I've been enjoying the mod, either I'm not used to playing like this, or I've fought the hardest war I've ever encountered in a civ game. If there were population stats, I'm pretty something like 70% of all men in my country are dead. And it's not a small country. Seems wrong you can dash your troops on the walls of an enemy in a last ditch effort to survive and stability goes UP, due to loss of unrest from dead troops. Not sure if you can create a delayed effect there, either in recruiting the units or after they are lost.

The benefits of Government policies will be very different in V9 and as a result switching Government will feel more jarring than it currently does. I'm hoping the benefits each Government offers, (including large immediate benefits), will encourage Government switching - rather then sticking with one specific Government for most of the game. I'm playing around with a variant on the Finisher Policies, where instead of getting a bonus policy upon completing a branch - instead, that branch would remain active when it would normally be mutually exclusive from other Governments. (But this is still a work in progress and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it into v9 right away).

And I agree that it does seem weird that by losing units, currently you actually gain Stability... This will be mitigated to some extent as Stability from Population will play only a small role in overall Stability. Stability/Happiness generated from Policies and Luxury resources will account for most of the Stability you get in a game from now on.

This is also to take away from the aspect of food being the mods dominant resource and bringing back the importance of trading luxuries and research agreements, (now that they aren't quite so horribly broken, post-patch).

Finally, what I've generally found to be the case with most Civ games is that the end game usually isn't as enjoyable as the beginning of the game. This is mainly because there is no more exploration to be done and all of your cities have dozens upon dozens of the same buildings, and the only thing really left to do is go to war or win the game. I'll be addressing this in v9 with a new system involving Buildings/Wonders/Governments where all three will have to work together in each of your Cities - and City specialization will be of the utmost importance.

That being said, One-City-Challenges probably won't be doable in v9, and advanced starts also won't be initially supported, (mainly because allocating buildings/units to specific start-eras would push things back even further).

Finally, what I've generally found to be the case with most Civ games is that the end game usually isn't as enjoyable as the beginning of the game. This is mainly because there is no more exploration to be done and all of your cities have dozens upon dozens of the same buildings, and the only thing really left to do is go to war or win the game. I'll be addressing this in v9 with a new system involving Buildings/Wonders/Governments where all three will have to work together in each of your Cities - and City specialization will be of the utmost importance.

This sounds like an intriguing idea if I am not fighting for my life and am in the lead (which does on occasion happen. :) All depends on how friendly the AI decide to be; as I use random AI and sometimes they want to chop me up other times they just have the flower power love for all.)

...But I don't know how they did it, but I remember some civ 3/4 games where everything seemed to be under control and suddenly some AI sent berserk and mounted a late serious challenge when I was in the lead.

Finally, what I've generally found to be the case with most Civ games is that the end game usually isn't as enjoyable as the beginning of the game. This is mainly because there is no more exploration to be done and all of your cities have dozens upon dozens of the same buildings, and the only thing really left to do is go to war or win the game.

Very, very true! Besides what you're saying, it also starts getting tedious and feels like a big grind maintaining all these cities, especially the relatively newer ones you don't really care about that you might have built because they're near a vital resource (oil, uranium, aluminum, whatever). Puppet cities were a great addition to Civ V but you can only currently create them by capturing an enemy city. It would be nice if you could create one yourself that you didn't want to micro-manage. That is, is there a way to either create or turn cities into puppet cities you build yourself? I'm thinking an ideal solution would be a government policy must first be unlocked that "enables de-centralization" and then a custom building built (call it a courthouse) that turns the city into a puppet city. You could, of course, annex it back just like you can do to puppet cities now but it would cost you unhappiness/stability until you got (another) courthouse in. So, every time you toggle back and forth between full city and puppet city the existing courthouse (if one exists) would be destroyed and you have to (re)build a new one before the city changes (back). At some point, especially in the late game, I stop caring about micromanaging, but I don't want to necessarily just build a large queue because as technologies are discovered, the list might change and I don't want to just necessarily set it to build wealth or science so as to avoid managing the city; puppet cities are a good feature, I just wish we could make them and/or toggle back and forth (for a penalty) late in the game.

On a related note, would it be possible to create an "immigrant unit" that costs 1 population to create that when sent to another city (or traded to another civ) can increase its population by 1? I know there's some Civ IV mods that have this ability (though I don't think they penalize the city the immigrant came from like they should). This would be a good feature in the mid-game when you're expanding and you realize some of your frontier locations are better areas to be settled.

Switching ideas, I absolutely think "tech diffusion" should be in the game. At some point, every civ should stumble across the knowledge of technologies that other civs have unlocked. I like the concept of open borders means higher probability of you both being given technologies the other possesses, so it makes open borders actually mean something besides just passing units through. I also think there should be "espionage" buildings that you can construct that serve no other purpose than to increase your civ's probability for acquiring free techs that other civs possess (ideally the highest probability would be for techs your neighbors posses that you don't and/or civs you have open borders with). Of course, you have to be careful, because they could do the same to you.

In fact, all techs should be unlocked in a somewhat random fashion. That is, make the number of turns it will take to unlock a tech the EXPECTED VALUE (ideally, somewhat normally distributed around this value) and not just fixed. So, if it says combustion is 18 turns, it might really take 12 turns or it might take 24 turns. You just never know either way until 'surprise! your scientists have discovered it!' This kind of randomness will add excitement to the game, especially the late game when things get more predictable (read: boring).

Another tech-related question: will Civ V ever make it possible to research more than one simultaneously? Say, if you construct the "National College" national wonder then you can unlock the ability to research two things at a time, albeit you don't get to throw full science points at both, you still only get as many total science points as you have, but you could at least study two techs at once, say dedicating 2/3 of your science to tech A and 1/3 to tech B. When you couple this with making the unlocking of techs random then it's POSSIBLE you might discover BOTH earlier than you otherwise would (of course it might also happen it takes you longer to discover both). But, since the number of turns isn't a certainty but instead the mean, or expected number, things still work out on average (across civs, across techs/eras, across games)

I also miss the culture diffusion of Civ IV. It made culture really mean more than just unlocking policies and/or shooting for a cultural victory, it made it really "mean" something if that iron (or city) on you and your neighbor's border is swaying back and forth between who it belongs to. In the late game, this was a way to capture cities without having to go to war. In other words, it added a dimension to the game (especially late game) that is lacking in Civ V (currently it's too one dimensional - you have to go military like you're saying, which can become a grind with so many units late in the game)

Lastly, I always prefer keeping things as realistic and historical as possible, but I do think it would would be interesting to see "space aliens" randomly appear in the game as "modern barbarians" beginning in year 2001. They would have flying saucers (air units), encampments located in the sea, and infantry units that can fire lasers and immune to existing military units. The only way to kill their land units would be with a modern drone unit (that requires uranium). Adding these modern alien barbarians would force users (and AI) to consider land, air, AND sea units to ward them off and not have their modern cities taken over. It might also prompt civs to form more defensive pacts to help each other out. As Civ V stands, you almost have no motivation to create navies, but with alien encampments out at sea, you'd have to root them out.

Another easy way to make navies matter again is to not let units cross ocean tiles (coast tiles ok, but not ocean tiles) and go back to Civ IV style of requiring they must go aboard naval transport ships to take them across the ocean. Settlers, etc. should all be moved across the ocean this way.

Maybe make a new town type (analogous to puppet cities) called "colonies" that can ONLY be built in areas that are separated from your capital by ocean tiles that give huge cultural bonuses and make it a REQUIREMENT to win a cultural victory that you posses 3+ colony cities. Besides benefiting the mid-game with huge culture bonus, this would also make the late game more exciting by either a) make your really protect these distant colonies and/or b) make you scramble to seek other civs colonies out and capture them

One more late game idea: bring back random environmental disasters, proportionate to your "number of hammers". Don't call it (local) "health" (like Civ IV), but call it "pollution" and it can randomly strike your precious resource tiles (oil, uranium, aluminum) not only taking out your improvement, but the actual resource. So, you better protect them by adopting government policy that reduces the risk and/or constructing buildings that help reduce the risk.

Well, I know this is a lot to chew on and most of it probably not even doable in a Civ V mod, but basically anything that introduces more a) randomness and b) competing alternatives to choose from would help liven up the late game.

As far as your mod goes, it's THEE mod I play with. And I really like your concepts and very much looking forward to V9! Maybe you'll agree with some of my ideas and work them into V10 someday. I've thought about getting into modding Civ myself, but people like you do such a great job - and I can only imagine how much work you pour into it - I know I probably couldn't come up with something 1/2 as good as you have with Civ NIGHTS!

Hi Everyone,
I have begun my first game using Civilization Nights. I cannot however get the tech tree to move to reveal the techs on the right side making decisions difficult. Can anyone help me with this? I have tried key and function combos to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My old (awesome) save prepatch doesnt work more, will i be able to play it the you have pached your mod, u think?

The game crash then i try to load the save. a message like this appear: "Civ has got runtime error...civilization5.exe has terminated the game on a unusual way..."

Starting new games does still work

My old (awesome) save prepatch doesnt work more, will i be able to play it the you have pached your mod, u think?

The game crash then i try to load the save. a message like this appear: "Civ has got runtime error...civilization5.exe has terminated the game on a unusual way..."

Starting new games does still work

This is caused by the latest CIV patch. I had the some problem - your old saves won't work anymore...

It would be nice if you could create one yourself that you didn't want to micro-manage. That is, is there a way to either create or turn cities into puppet cities you build yourself? I'm thinking an ideal solution would be a government policy must first be unlocked that "enables de-centralization" and then a custom building built (call it a courthouse) that turns the city into a puppet city. You could, of course, annex it back just like you can do to puppet cities now but it would cost you unhappiness/stability until you got (another) courthouse in. So, every time you toggle back and forth between full city and puppet city the existing courthouse (if one exists) would be destroyed and you have to (re)build a new one before the city changes (back). At some point, especially in the late game, I stop caring about micromanaging, but I don't want to necessarily just build a large queue because as technologies are discovered, the list might change and I don't want to just necessarily set it to build wealth or science so as to avoid managing the city; puppet cities are a good feature, I just wish we could make them and/or toggle back and forth (for a penalty) late in the game.

I believe there's a mod that actually gives you the choice when founding Cities to make them Puppets - I'm not sure if it lets you toggle them back and forth, but I think it might have. It's an interesting idea though, and at the very least, I'd like Puppet Cities to behave differently than they do now. They seem very cookie-cutter/basic at the moment, and invariably most domination games end with sloughs of Puppet Cities... Having Government interact with Puppet Cities, or affect them in some sort of manner would be interesting - I'll look into this.

On a related note, would it be possible to create an "immigrant unit" that costs 1 population to create that when sent to another city (or traded to another civ) can increase its population by 1? I know there's some Civ IV mods that have this ability (though I don't think they penalize the city the immigrant came from like they should). This would be a good feature in the mid-game when you're expanding and you realize some of your frontier locations are better areas to be settled.

I've seen a mod that scatters a random amount of citizens on the map after a City has been taken over, and then these citizens can be sent back to various Cities thereby adding onto the Cities' population - so something like this is definitely doable. My only worry is that a: it may end up being exploitable, and b: the AI would have no idea how to use this mechanic properly. The latter usually ends up being the case, at least until/if we get dll access...

Switching ideas, I absolutely think "tech diffusion" should be in the game. At some point, every civ should stumble across the knowledge of technologies that other civs have unlocked. I like the concept of open borders means higher probability of you both being given technologies the other possesses, so it makes open borders actually mean something besides just passing units through. I also think there should be "espionage" buildings that you can construct that serve no other purpose than to increase your civ's probability for acquiring free techs that other civs possess (ideally the highest probability would be for techs your neighbors posses that you don't and/or civs you have open borders with). Of course, you have to be careful, because they could do the same to you.

I've seen this in some other mods - I may yet incorporate such a feature into NiGHTS, but first I'll want to get feedback on how the new Research Agreements work under the latest patch.

In fact, all techs should be unlocked in a somewhat random fashion. That is, make the number of turns it will take to unlock a tech the EXPECTED VALUE (ideally, somewhat normally distributed around this value) and not just fixed. So, if it says combustion is 18 turns, it might really take 12 turns or it might take 24 turns. You just never know either way until 'surprise! your scientists have discovered it!' This kind of randomness will add excitement to the game, especially the late game when things get more predictable (read: boring).

I'm trying to mitigate this to some extent by making the upcoming pyramid/hourglass work in such a way so that branching out and taking different paths is feasible and a more rewarding option than just finishing off row by row.

Another tech-related question: will Civ V ever make it possible to research more than one simultaneously? Say, if you construct the "National College" national wonder then you can unlock the ability to research two things at a time, albeit you don't get to throw full science points at both, you still only get as many total science points as you have, but you could at least study two techs at once, say dedicating 2/3 of your science to tech A and 1/3 to tech B. When you couple this with making the unlocking of techs random then it's POSSIBLE you might discover BOTH earlier than you otherwise would (of course it might also happen it takes you longer to discover both). But, since the number of turns isn't a certainty but instead the mean, or expected number, things still work out on average (across civs, across techs/eras, across games)
Once we get dll access this may be possible - but again, the issue would be getting the AI to understand such a system. I'd also like there to be some sort of bonus towards specific techs based on what buildings you have in your empire, or what type of terrain your Cities are close too - ie if you're a coastal empire, then sailing or fishing would not take as long to research.

I also miss the culture diffusion of Civ IV. It made culture really mean more than just unlocking policies and/or shooting for a cultural victory, it made it really "mean" something if that iron (or city) on you and your neighbor's border is swaying back and forth between who it belongs to. In the late game, this was a way to capture cities without having to go to war. In other words, it added a dimension to the game (especially late game) that is lacking in Civ V (currently it's too one dimensional - you have to go military like you're saying, which can become a grind with so many units late in the game)

Gedemon has made a mod like this and I'm pretty sure it's compatible with NIGHTS. :)

Lastly, I always prefer keeping things as realistic and historical as possible, but I do think it would would be interesting to see "space aliens" randomly appear in the game as "modern barbarians" beginning in year 2001. They would have flying saucers (air units), encampments located in the sea, and infantry units that can fire lasers and immune to existing military units. The only way to kill their land units would be with a modern drone unit (that requires uranium). Adding these modern alien barbarians would force users (and AI) to consider land, air, AND sea units to ward them off and not have their modern cities taken over. It might also prompt civs to form more defensive pacts to help each other out. As Civ V stands, you almost have no motivation to create navies, but with alien encampments out at sea, you'd have to root them out.

Another easy way to make navies matter again is to not let units cross ocean tiles (coast tiles ok, but not ocean tiles) and go back to Civ IV style of requiring they must go aboard naval transport ships to take them across the ocean. Settlers, etc. should all be moved across the ocean this way.

Maybe make a new town type (analogous to puppet cities) called "colonies" that can ONLY be built in areas that are separated from your capital by ocean tiles that give huge cultural bonuses and make it a REQUIREMENT to win a cultural victory that you posses 3+ colony cities. Besides benefiting the mid-game with huge culture bonus, this would also make the late game more exciting by either a) make your really protect these distant colonies and/or b) make you scramble to seek other civs colonies out and capture them

One more late game idea: bring back random environmental disasters, proportionate to your "number of hammers". Don't call it (local) "health" (like Civ IV), but call it "pollution" and it can randomly strike your precious resource tiles (oil, uranium, aluminum) not only taking out your improvement, but the actual resource. So, you better protect them by adopting government policy that reduces the risk and/or constructing buildings that help reduce the risk.

Well, I know this is a lot to chew on and most of it probably not even doable in a Civ V mod, but basically anything that introduces more a) randomness and b) competing alternatives to choose from would help liven up the late game.

You've given me lots to think about here. :) As for the late game - it's getting greatly expanded, and it will be impossible to research every tech in a game of V9, so you're choices will truly matter. This should help with the late game monotony the usually sets in as Civ's will have different units/buildings depending on what routes they take.

As far as your mod goes, it's THEE mod I play with. And I really like your concepts and very much looking forward to V9! Maybe you'll agree with some of my ideas and work them into V10 someday. I've thought about getting into modding Civ myself, but people like you do such a great job - and I can only imagine how much work you pour into it - I know I probably couldn't come up with something 1/2 as good as you have with Civ NIGHTS!

Hopefully v9 lives up to expectations - balance will probably be an ongoing issue as there's so much content being added, but I'm confident that will work itself out.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words :) - I'll try and post some more screenshots soon as well. I haven't posted any recently because Steam seems to have a habit of crashing when I make an attempt so I'll have to look at getting fraps or something along those lines.

Hi Everyone,
I have begun my first game using Civilization Nights. I cannot however get the tech tree to move to reveal the techs on the right side making decisions difficult. Can anyone help me with this? I have tried key and function combos to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your game up-to-date with the latest patch? If it is, verify your cache through Steam and do a defrag through Steam as well.

This is caused by the latest CIV patch. I had the some problem - your old saves won't work anymore...

It's true - this happens with whenever the game is patched. Setting Steam to not update your game also doesn't always work, (at least for me anyways, as it resets to "update" every 1-2 days).

Really enjoying the mod so far... just some random questions/points for Markus, some of which might be stupid or already answered.

1. Is there any chance of doing away with the whole "accumulate points to switch social policies" mechanic? As in, is there any way of making the system more like Civ 4, with the ability to switch things at anytime, with no point buildup? (with penalties for doing it too frequently, of course?)

It would be very nice to see huge differences in the government systems, with each one being very situationally important. Also, does the AI use the same current system in place, and how good are they at picking things?

2. Have you considered moving the base movement value up to 3 instead of 2 (except for workers, who should stay at 2 ) ? This seems to help keep things less clogged, and makes long distance movement of armies less of a hassle. Is there something else that can be done to lessen the "traffic jam" effect that happens with 1UPT? Also, is there any chance you would consider increasing the speed of units in early sea transports? I think it's only realistic that they would move faster via ship than on land, and it's kind of annoying that a transocean voyage takes 16 turns.

3. Is there anyway to simulate foreign trade income? As in ports and roads leading to other civs generating some sort of revenue?

4. Any chance of more diplomatic options? This is probably hard coded but once again theres very little reason to contact the AI, at all. I would also like to see things like alliances/defensive/pacts - all that stuff be available far earlier in the game. These types of agreements between nations always existed even in the earliest days of history..yet in my last game I still don't have all the diplomatic options by the late Renaissance. Giving us more reasons to interact with the AI early on would help.

5. What is the minimum distance between cities in the mod? It seems like the AI really crams its cities close together, stifling future growth. Whatever it is, it seems to need to be increased.

Thanks.:goodjob:

Really enjoying the mod so far... just some random questions/points for Markus, some of which might be stupid or already answered.

1. Is there any chance of doing away with the whole "accumulate points to switch social policies" mechanic? As in, is there any way of making the system more like Civ 4, with the ability to switch things at anytime, with no point buildup? (with penalties for doing it too frequently, of course?)

It would be very nice to see huge differences in the government systems, with each one being very situationally important. Also, does the AI use the same current system in place, and how good are they at picking things?

2. Have you considered moving the base movement value up to 3 instead of 2 (except for workers, who should stay at 2 ) ? This seems to help keep things less clogged, and makes long distance movement of armies less of a hassle. Is there something else that can be done to lessen the "traffic jam" effect that happens with 1UPT? Also, is there any chance you would consider increasing the speed of units in early sea transports? I think it's only realistic that they would move faster via ship than on land, and it's kind of annoying that a transocean voyage takes 16 turns.

3. Is there anyway to simulate foreign trade income? As in ports and roads leading to other civs generating some sort of revenue?

4. Any chance of more diplomatic options? This is probably hard coded but once again theres very little reason to contact the AI, at all. I would also like to see things like alliances/defensive/pacts - all that stuff be available far earlier in the game. These types of agreements between nations always existed even in the earliest days of history..yet in my last game I still don't have all the diplomatic options by the late Renaissance. Giving us more reasons to interact with the AI early on would help.

5. What is the minimum distance between cities in the mod? It seems like the AI really crams its cities close together, stifling future growth. Whatever it is, it seems to need to be increased.

Thanks.:goodjob:

Hi Huck Finn - glad you're enjoying it so far, and many of your points are being addressed in the next update.

1) I'd prefer to have policies/governments more like in CIV IV, but this isn't possible at the moment. Once we get dll access, (if we get dll access), this may become a possibility, but would take a lot of work as the game has essentially been designed around the current mechanic. In v9 Governments will end up being mutually exclusive, and each Government will feel very different and focus on specific aspects of the game. For example, Oligarchy will initially provide a powerful Gold-focused bonus, with it's sub-policies, for the most part, augmenting this ability. Democracy on the other hand, will focus mainly on Culture, Feudalism on growth, Theocracy on Happiness, and so on and so forth. The Tech Pyramid will also interact heavily with active Governments, adding to their overall flavor and the general direction you end up taking your games.

The AI does use the current system - but unfortunately they lack the ability to switch Governments on the fly and generally tend to complete any Government they initially adopt. This is why they tend to stay with Despotism for a large part of the game. In v9, all Governments are immediately unlockable, and I've programmed the AI to makes initial choices more or less according to their real-life counterparts, (although there is still a random element at play, and Ghandi does seem to prefer adopting Autocracy.) :)

On that note, I should mention that Despotism has been switched to Autocracy, and Technocracy has been switched to Republic. Here's how they correspond to different playstyles:

Autocracy = Military Strength Focus
Feudalism = Early Growth Focus
Monarchy = Capital Focus
Theocracy = Happiness Focus
Oligarchy = Gold Focus
Democracy = Culture Focus
Republic = Trade Focus (Coastal Cities and City States)

Government sub-policies gravitate along these lines of focus, but that's not so say there aren't going to be other ways to mold specific Governments in certain directions...

2) I've actually already increased Settler movement rates to 3 from 2 - and land/naval units will be getting boosts in v9, although these will end up being unlocked through specific techs. Firaxis actually included code in the game that limits the amount of Workers a Civ can have at any given point, so I'm sure they had similar worries about unit congestion - but this feature is not exactly scalable and would feel utterly broken on larger maps. Having said that, I am playing around with this feature to see if it can help with late game turn times, and may include it to some extent based on my findings.

3) This isn't possible at the moment - but I will be tweaking traits in v9 so that some traits specific Civ's have in the vanilla version of the game will be available to all Civ's in NiGHTS. For example, Bismarck's ability that lets him use forests via open borders like normal roads, will be available to all Civ's and should make open borders at least marginally useful.

4) Pacts/Alliances/Agreements will be available much earlier in v9 - and a modified version of the City-State Diplomacy mod by Gazebo is also being included - although it's being pared down a little bit to fit within the scope of how buildings/governments/great people are going to function in v9, (the units themselves will function as Great People - Diplomats - obtained through buildings, as opposed to buildable units). I'll also look into the changes that Firaxis made to Diplomacy in the latest patch and see if there's anything there I can tweak or add.

5) The minimum distance is currently 2 instead of 3 - although it seems with this latest patch that this distance doesn't work as well as pre-patch. I may have to change this to a distance of 3, purely to put the AI on more of an even playing field with the human even though personally I probably prefer a distance of 2.

markusbeutel, Thanks for your post. I tried as you suggested and I keep getting a validation error. I even deleted the mod, re downloaded and reinstalled it. I still get the validation error. I may very well have a problem with Steam. I guess I can delete the game and reinstall it from Steam (originally from a disc) Maybe that will fix the problem unless you have another idea. Thanks again for your response.

Autocracy = Military Strength Focus
Feudalism = Early Growth Focus
Monarchy = Capital Focus
Theocracy = Happiness Focus
Oligarchy = Gold Focus
Democracy = Culture Focus
Republic = Trade Focus (Coastal Cities and City States)

This is quite nice, but I think you should switch Democracy and Theocracy. It is a form of government in which a state is understood as governed by immediate divine guidance especially a state ruled by clergy, or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. Just a suggestion.

"God himself is recognized as the head". This is from wikipedia, btw.

Imo in Civ 5 "religion" is included within culture.

As for democracy, people enjoy having a say within their government, which does make them happy. I also think it's good that you did Autocracy instead of despotism. Can't wait for version 9. Any screenshots available?

Hey I just downloaded this mod and it works great, but was wondering if my game is just glitchy or something but when I have a special (grain harvester) create his building its just bare. Is it normal or am I missing something.

Also in regards to city population, at some point there will be a time when all the workable blocks are at their full potential and there is no need for the specialists to build new items, are there any specialists like in the vanilla game? otherwise the citizens that aren't working are kind of not really doing anything?

Thank you

Top Bottom