Nike Pulls Shoe Because Colin Kaepernick Thinks It's Racist

GamezRule

Inconceivable!
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...n-kaepernick-says-it-was-offensive-2019-07-01

Apparently, Nike had plans to release a special edition shoe featuring the "Betsy Ross Flag" for the American Independence Day holiday. However, Colin Kaepernick tweeted that it's a racist symbol of hate, therefore Nike pulled the shoe. I fully understand Colin Kaepernick's motivation to kneel for the National Anthem several years ago, but is he really so dense as to think everything from America's past is automatically a symbol of hate and racism?

The problem is that Colin Kaepernick has genuine influence on the thoughts and actions of others, and by saying this and causing Nike to pull the shoe, he has not only lost credibility, but also has created a symbol of hate where there was none. I'm willing to bet that very soon the Betsy Ross Flag will be appropriated by white nationalist groups simply because of one man's ignorance.

if the flag doesn't represent past evils, what does?

besides, in Arabic culture stepping on a flag is considered a very nasty insult...like when that Iraqi journalist threw his shoes at Bush. I still cant believe Bush avoided those shoes, I thought the guy's aim was remarkable

But like did she own slaves ? Lotta folk did

I don't think the betsy ross flag is as inclusive as say... the actual american flag and i can see why a flag that represents Black Americans still being enslaved would be offensive to a black American

I guess he's resigned to the fact that he will never play in the NFL again.

I'm willing to bet that very soon the Betsy Ross Flag will be appropriated by white nationalist groups simply because of one man's ignorance.
Actually, was appropriated by the American Nazi Party a while time ago.
BBC said:
The Betsy Ross flag, with a circle of 13 stars, was created during the American Revolution and later adopted for use by the American Nazi party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48840608

I don't see how this is an issue worth commenting on?

For me, the bar for things worth commenting on is pretty low. For example, I am commenting on that fact that you don't think this issue is worth commenting on, which is a pretty trivial event. Your bar doesn't seem much higher as the mere fact that people are commenting on something you don't find particularly interesting is enough to get you to comment. So, overall, I would say it's not that surprising that people are commenting on this issue as it's much more significant than the things that either you or I are currently commenting on.

For me, the bar for things worth commenting on is pretty low. For example, I am commenting on that fact that you don't think this issue is worth commenting on, which is a pretty trivial event. Your bar doesn't seem much higher as the mere fact that people are commenting on something you don't find particularly interesting is enough to get you to comment. So, overall, I would say it's not that surprising that people are commenting on this issue as it's much more significant than the things that either you or I are currently commenting on.

You apparently misinterpreted my comment, it was actually inviting anyone to explain why this is an issue worth commenting on, I don't see it but others must disagree since someone made this thread.

You apparently misinterpreted my comment, it was actually inviting anyone to explain why this is an issue worth commenting on, I don't see it but others must disagree since someone made this thread.

Oh, I thought it was a rhetorical question. I found it interesting that governor of Arizona is withdrawing incentive to Nike over this on a number of levels. On the one hand, they are stepping in and acting based on (perfectly reasonable) decisions made by a private company, which seems problematic. On the other hand, they probably shouldn't have been giving incentives to Nike in the first place. That was mildly interesting to me.

Oh, I thought it was a rhetorical question. I found it interesting that governor of Arizona is withdrawing incentive to Nike over this on a number of levels. On the one hand, they are stepping in and acting based on (perfectly reasonable) decisions made by a private company, which seems problematic. On the other hand, they probably shouldn't have been giving incentives to Nike in the first place. That was mildly interesting to me.

Now this is pretty interesting. I'm always interested in how the culture war intersects with how people think about capitalist political economy. Right now we are in a bit of an odd moment where many companies are doing social-justice-friendly branding and liberals appear to have concluded that these companies are therefore our friends. Republicans seem to be moving away from their normal overt pro-plutocrat stance in favor of milking this culture war grievance stuff.

Am I to stand for the flag on the shoe? or kneel for it?

Actually, was appropriated by the American Nazi Party a while time ago.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! :trophy:

I would like to register my fury that this rabble of unAmerican hate mongers has appropriated this country flag. "Shoot if you must this old gray head, but spare your nation's flag!"

Last edited:
*beep* *boop* *beeeep* *boop*

I don't think the betsy ross flag is as inclusive as say... the actual american flag and i can see why a flag that represents Black Americans still being enslaved would be offensive to a black American
That's not really a convincing argument.
This is supposed to be an actual anniversary.
The flag is kind of tied to the event - well, supposedly anyway.
You can't change the fact that on July 4th 1776 rich white rapey men were engaged in brutal subjugation of African Americans which they styled as "ownership".

I mean... you can change that.
But you need a time machine.
And probably a small army.
One that fits into your time machine.

Point being: If you desire what i think you desire here, your critcism of the flag is pointless.
You'd have to change the day in the first place.
Like, i don't know, woke Plan A could be to make Lena Dunham's birthday the national holiday. Plan B might be something less stupid, like July 2nd ('64) or August 28th ('63).
Actually you might want to consider September 22nd, the magnitude of injustice and suffering faced by African Americans after said day (in 1862) notwithstanding.
The other two dates don't solve that problem either; and you're probably not going to gambit yourself out of the "white" savior angle anyway.

Anyway, what did i come here for?
You think [this] is the flag of American racism.
You know, the flag of the Dawes Act, the Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese internment, and 8 decades of slavery.
No? Oh right. That's the other one.
But Americans like the other one, don't they? Heritage not Hate, and all that?

Oh, right.

PS:
There's still that other small problem, after we've found a new national holiday for the US:
[insert stock photo: young female African American with a nickel]

*beep* *boop* *beeeep* *boop*

Last edited:
Top Bottom