• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Nintendo DS Questions

Hi folks!

Am very much thinking of getting myself a Nintendo DS. I need something other than books and sketches to keep me awake during those lonely work hours, and quite frankly I thought the system a rather nifty little thing. With perfect excuse in hand, I may indeed go purchase one in the near future.

Big questions are: Is it a worthy investment, bearing in mind I'll only be using it to pass the time for a few half-hours? Should I go for a standard DS or one of the DS-Lites? And, most importantly of all, what games should be considered top of my list to purchase along with the little guy?

All suggestions welcome :D

Big questions are: Is it a worthy investment, bearing in mind I'll only be using it to pass the time for a few half-hours?
Yes.
Should I go for a standard DS or one of the DS-Lites?
DS Lite. The Crimson and Black version comes with Brain Age II, IIRC, for the same cost, so might as well get that.
And, most importantly of all, what games should be considered top of my list to purchase along with the little guy?
Phantom Hourglass, the FFXII game, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Super Mario 64 DS, Tetris DS, and Animal Crossing. These are all great games; I don't think you want to buy all of them, but here's a big list for you to choose from.

Advanced Wars DS
Age of Empires

Warning: DS breaks very easily. My lil' brother dropped it once and now the hinge is broken. :(

I don't play handheld games much anymore but recognize the DS as a good system, and I enjoy it the few times I play it.

AND MAKE SURE YOU'RE GETTING A LITE. The screen is much better, it's much smaller, the stylus is better, and it's much sexier. The regular ones are just too clunky.

Here's ten games you need to get for it (ignoring genre's you may or may not like).

Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
New Super Mario Bros.
Meteos
Tetris DS
Animal Crossing Wild World
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Super Maro 64 DS, or, if you've beaten the crap out of it for N64, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Warning: DS breaks very easily. My lil' brother dropped it once and now the hinge is broken. :(

I got a two-year life guarantee, so all is well.

Bought a Lite, with Final Fantasy 3, Sonic Rush and it came with a game called Drawn to Life, which looks adorable. Looking forward to playing the games recommended, particularly Super Mario Bros and Castelvania, which sound ever so familiar to the games I used to play on the NES, so they have to come first :D

I named it Galactus, by the way.

Age of Empires

Doesn't it still have that fatal bug that makes the entire cartridge unplayable? I went through 3 AoE:AoK cartridges before trading in the broken game for Metroid Prime Pinball.

Doesn't it still have that fatal bug that makes the entire cartridge unplayable? I went through 3 AoE:AoK cartridges before trading in the broken game for Metroid Prime Pinball.

I thought they fixed that ? Warning dont use a name shorter then 3 charactors and dont exit from ingame (you might have gotten an OLD version of the game)

You should have waited Kan, Nintendo have just released a statement that they're in the process of redesigning the lite, essentially making a Nintendo DS Lite 'lite' so prices will drop drastically ;)

Also remember that the Nintendo SD game cards are region free, so buying from places like Play Asia could save you up to or beyond a tenner a game.

You going to the game Kan?

Subote- notice how all the money saving tips are coming from a Scotsman, hmm.............

You should have waited Kan, Nintendo have just released a statement that they're in the process of redesigning the lite, essentially making a Nintendo DS Lite 'lite' so prices will drop drastically ;)

:lol: Of course they did. Gaming companies always have spies waiting for when I purchase a console just to drop the price shortly afterwards. Happened with my PS2.

You going to the game Kan?

I think I'm working, so I'll steal a radio and put it on. If I'm really lucky I'll make it to the pub for the second half.

Heh if you get to the pub keep an eye out on the South Stand, you might see me ;)

I haven't heard confirmation about the new model from Nintendo yet, just this. Do you have link? Beause if true that would be sweet, since I want to get a DS Lite.

Na, the articles I've seen are all saying what that article is saying but wording bits differently

Heh if you get to the pub keep an eye out on the South Stand, you might see me ;)

Got it. I'll just look for the one wearing a Scotland kit to narrow it down a bit, shall I? :lol:

I would have guessed a price drop before Christmas sounds cynically accurate, but you said they're redesigning the thing? How old is the DS-Lite anyway?

My DS lite black hasn't been used in 4 months since I beat Pokemon Diamond and the battery still is 90% charged.

Top Bottom