1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Noah could never build his Ark in FFH2

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Inkling, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

zup, if you like catching animals and building the Grand Menagerie, try the Fall Further modmod. There, the animals (including Gorillas, Tigers, Lions, etc.) DO spawn the whole game as long as there are tiles available to them.

In FF, I think I have a 100% rate of building the GM. It is almost too easy as the AI never captures animals (intentionally) or builds it. My rate in FFH2 is about 25% and luck has a major part to do with that rate.

I will say if you are having problems finding Lions and Wolves, build the Nature's Revolt ritual and you will find plenty of those along with Tigers and Bears. They are much stronger, however. The Gorillas are MIA.

Remember when there were Panthers???:)

2. Homunculus

Homunculus Chieftain

"Tigers from FoL"

..considering I somehow managed to catch lion, bear, wolf AND gorilla [and a spider and elephant, but that's less relevant :)]... I'm very interested in above comment - can anyone elaborate (I looked ingame, didn't see anything obvious)

3. Methuselah

Methuselah King

The priest of leaves unit is able to cast summon tiger, which does what its name suggests.

4. Homunculus

Homunculus Chieftain

ah, excellent.. Grand Menagerie here I come :D

5. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

I think animals should spawn -forever-. They should never stop appearing.

But how about, making them unable to attack, when they're inside a player's borders. So they would just be docile, and wandering harmlessly around your territory. Hell, it would be just plain nice to have animals wandering around, even if you don't plan to capture them

Another problem is that they can't actually enter borders. I think that should be changed. Animals are hardly smart enough to read maps, know where the arbitrary line marking the edge of your territory is, and avoid crosssing it. They should wander where they please, though if possible preferring to avoid entering tiles with towns oor cities.

6. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

I don't think they can attack now when they are inside your borders. I can recall trapping a Bear inside my borders when I settled a new city or through expansion, and I have had units next to the Bear and it never did attack. They did just wander around as you suggest they should, until they were killed.

I do think you have something with the last though and animals entering borders. Of course, that could be a bit of a problem in the early going if a bunch of Bears invades your territory. ;)

I think it used to be that when you built Nature's Revolt, they WOULD cross into your territory, but I don't think so any longer.

7. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

If they already don't attack inside borders, then that's good.

I think mainly, they just beed to be able to cross, and spawn inside, cultural borders. Otherwise most of the available land in the world is swallowed up by expanding empires, and there are almost no unowned tiles for them to spawn in.

Maybe they could have a higher chance of spawning on tiles that are unimproved?(roads not included) You'll frequently end up with unimproved tiles in your empire when cultural borders expand sufficiently

8. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

In a recent game I saw a bear attack a worker that was in my boards from outside my borders. I know animals were allowed this one exception to the rule of not entering borders in Vanilla, but I had never seen it in FfH until last week.

I think that Kael still has it set up so that the block stopping animals from entering borders is removed when Nature's Revolt is complete, but I don't actually see it in the code.

9. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

I built Nature's Revolt in my last game and it created a ton of very powerful animals. However, not a single one crossed into my borders. Now, I did have Nox Noctis built, so maybe they didn't see any targets and didn't enter. A couple of Tigers kept prowling around until I sent some units out to capture them.

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

MC. were you playing a barbarian trait leader? cuz animals will enter into your territory if you're barbarian, and happily munch on your workers :lol:

I definitely agree with WarKirby about having animals able to go inside cultural borders, and even SPAWN inside them, but only in unimproved tiles.

and of course, FF's animals-keep-spawning-forever thingie is great, and so is Orbi's all-animals-create-lairs thingie ;)

11. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

If you use Sto's Full of Resources map generator, you can have the map populated with animals at the start. And if you use the Orbi modmod, a lot of these guys will settle down into Lairs and you'll have animals spawning throughout the game.

12. iffi

iffi Warlord

The map you choose has a big role in animals generated.

The Jungle map will give you plenty of gorillas and tigers (jungle) and lions (desert).
    Wolves and bears of course won't show up, but what if you start with the option 'Just after the Age of Ice' (not the right name, but you will find it)? It should place some ice and tundra at the north and south edges? Perhaps also an Advanced start is required to get those Hunters early enough before the ice melts.

Just beware, the AI civs can get pretty scary after they convert the jungle into towns and farms.
    Could we get the starting option 'Do not let the Hippus be generated'? Pretty please?

13. Karnja

Karnja Chieftain

maybe the bear was caught and tamed by ai and just had hidden nationality?

also, i like the idea that animals should spawn forever, just like barbs.