Nobles' Club 243: Huayna Quechua of the Incas

I don't know how long you could have held off researching fishing in a game like this, but there are definitely bulbing gambits that involve not unlocking fishing for quite awhile. I'm not an efficient bulber outside of standard liberalism bulbs, so I have no idea what those gambits are, but I've certainly read about them.

I don't know how long you could have held off researching fishing in a game like this, but there are definitely bulbing gambits that involve not unlocking fishing for quite awhile. I'm not an efficient bulber outside of standard liberalism bulbs, so I have no idea what those gambits are, but I've certainly read about them.

Yep. One of them is an engineering rush via bulbs, which I did in the last NC with Charlemagne. I don't know that any such thing would be the optimal play on a map with triple seafood in the starting BFC with a FIN leader though. I could be wrong. I'm only like 50% on IMM, so hardly an "expert".

Isn't fishing and a workboat standard (most solid) for a coastal start with food? (especially financial)

on a map with triple seafood in the starting BFC
Fin or not, but I'd rather have one riverside corn than 3 clams in capitol cross. Trading 30 hammers for +2 food is recipe for falling behind in expansion.

@Snowbird
Spoiler :
Fin or not, but I'd rather have one riverside corn than 3 clams in capitol cross. Trading 30 hammers for +2 food is recipe for falling behind in expansion.

Ok, but there isn't a wet corn here. I know clam is not great, but my question remains: How is a PH city with 2 FP and a desert gold powerful enough to merit losing two turns before settling so you can move away from 4 (!) food resources UNLESS you are specifically Quecha rushing? A Q rush is obviously the right play here, but it doesn't make me a better civ player to do it, so I'm ignoring it. That being the case, better to settle the food for early whipping, right? What am I missing?

It's my first time doing one of these. Not sure how this works but I am on Prince, no huts, no events, normal speed.
So far did up to turn 33, BC-4000 to BC-1360.
Spoiler :
turn422320BC.png

And I used just the BUG mod for the attached file below.
Not sure if I did this right but I'll be looking through the spoilers to see how people are doing it.

Attachments

• NC253turn42.CivBeyondSwordSave
    49.6 KB · Views: 53
Your post is fine. If you're looking for advice, don't play anymore turns. Otherwise, keep playing and compare your game to the others posted. I'd probably hold off and get some advice though. Sampsa or Lymond will show up here at some point and you'll be playing deity in a couple of weeks, ha ha.

@dgang your save is with BUG 4.4 so can't open it. Most have installed BUG in custom assets so it's not compatible. I like your 2nd city spot and tech path, but those roads are wasted worker turns. If you had nothing to do, farm a floodplain.

If I might get some advice then I'll stop here but let me explain where I'm at.
First, I saw what military units my neighbor had so I realized I need to hook up a more advanced unit.
Spoiler :

If you notice I got open borders with the 3 that seemed to get along with each other. Pacal is usually a pain anyway and he ends up taking turns as the worst enemy of one of my 3 "friends." No one else has open borders at this point. I am hoping to put some points into Alphabet and trade Iron Working for it. No one has researched Alphabet yet. No idea why they are teching slow ... or just other techs?
And I decided to hook up horses because Portugal had:
Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword 7_2_2020 5_40_04 PM.png

The barbarians have begun:
Spoiler :

Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword 7_2_2020 5_49_57 PM.png

Here is where I'm at now:
Spoiler :

Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword 7_2_2020 5_55_50 PM.png

And the save with BUG mod is attached. Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• NC253turn64.CivBeyondSwordSave
    66.5 KB · Views: 53
@dgang your save is with BUG 4.4 so can't open it. Most have installed BUG in custom assets so it's not compatible. I like your 2nd city spot and tech path, but those roads are wasted worker turns. If you had nothing to do, farm a floodplain.
What do I need to do to make this compatible? Can I just delete BUG mod and install it in another folder?

Last edited:
What do I need to do to make this compatible?
I think when you install BUG, you need to choose "install to custom assets" or something like that.

I think when you install BUG, you need to choose "install to custom assets" or something like that.
I now have it in custom assets. The save now says I have to load the BUG mod but it already automatically turns on in a normal game (I checked). So if I want to continue I have to move BUG back to mods. I think I would rather just do a game with custom assets so people can see and give advice.

You can save/reload through wordlbuilder. This gives some issues - unit turns are reset and partial research is lost. (In my opinion, you should not be researching IW - probably Alpha given the difficulty, and gold should have been mined and worked like ten turn ago).

If you want you can try, reset save attached bellow.

Attachments

• NCReset BC-1440.CivBeyondSwordSave
    40.8 KB · Views: 64
You can save/reload through wordlbuilder. This gives some issues - unit turns are reset and partial research is lost. (In my opinion, you should not be researching IW - probably Alpha given the difficulty, and gold should have been mined and worked like ten turn ago).

If you want you can try, reset save attached bellow.
Hey, thanks it looks like it works, cool.
I guess I'll play this too ... at least for a while.
I've got 3 cities (see save or pictures in my spoilers). Should I try for a city getting the corn north or the deer east ... or deer and sheep? I'm thinking settle towards the corn to block off the north.

Immortal/Normal/NHNE. Played to turn 60 (1600 BC). Rush or not?

Spoiler :

Turns out I Quechua rushed Portugal. 4 cities now. Got lots of bad rolls and so lost a couple of Quechua killing Archers on open land that tried to reinforce cities and had to wait for reinforcements. This start seemed quite bad with all the tundra but nahh... Quechua will keep barbs at bay easily. Might even send 4-5 to cripple Lincoln if he didn't hook up metal. Settled nearby Stone to build Mids. Researching Sailing to get trade routes.

EDIT: I just read some of your updates. Wow!

Spoiler :

Going after Saladin is brutal. Pro, far away, and production bonus from PH. Damn!!

Portugal had Copper very near in their 2nd city actually. If I didn't chop/whip those Quechuas aggressively I would have been too late. One Axe means all Quechuas dead. Last time I Quechua rushed was like Monarch and it was a romp. The margin of error is much smaller on Immortal.

Last edited:
Spoiler :

Settings as below, no huts:

Tech AH-Fishing-TW. Quechuas rush Joao and captured Lisbon + 1 worker. After meeting Saladin who founded Hindu, tech Sailing in hope of getting his religion asap. Saladin and I Hindu; Pacal Jewish; the rest three AIs are Buddhists. Gave up Mids again to compensate the different religion penalty with Pacal.

Sometimes it's hard to understand AI's behaviour: AC ignored his pushover neighbour Pacal but declared war in 660 AD on a PRO leader, who even hadn't shared borders with AC :crazyeye:.

AC and Saladin were busy killing each other for more than 500 years :shake:. In 1190 AD, AC got dogpiled by Pacal, and on the same turn AC bribed Sury to attack Pacal :crazyeye:.

I didn't move the capital, because the starting place was quite good: 4 food resources, many riverside tiles to cottage and many forests to chop:
(Yes, as some of you have noticed, I forgot to build a IND forge in my capital :blush:)

Built Taj Mahal. Attacked with Cuirs/Cavs. Domination on T 244. By the way, this was the first time I saw a "donut-shaped" Pangaea map :lol:.

It's time for me to temporarily stop playing as HC, because his traits and UUs are too good :). For the players like me who are still in learning phase, playing too often as HC would make us think we're more skilled than we truly are.

Thanks for the map.:)

Spoiler :

I didn't move the capital, because the starting place was quite good: 4 food resources, many riverside tiles to cottage and many forests to chop:
(Yes, as some of you have noticed, I forgot to build a IND forge in my capital :blush:)

Thanks for the map.:)

Spoiler :

Err, you also seem to have forgotten to build a lighthouse =p

Top Bottom