Nobles' Club 245: Kublai Khan of Mongolia

Domination Win ~1900 AD (Didn't Finish)

Spoiler :

Beelined Fission and nuked tech leader Pacal to smithereens then captured the smoldering ruins. Stupid guy decided to attack me while we were both warring with Shaka. Quite weird.. Anyways I completely annihilated him in what felt like 10 turns once I got nukes. Those things are OP and with AI's inability to respond to amphibious attacks, it was a rout. Sirian Doctrine at its most brutal! He actually had oil-based units like Tanks and Destroyers which I didn't but it didn't matter at all.

Last edited:
Bump!
Join in for some Kublai practice, next NC map will be with Kublai on monday.

With the scout I'd be inclined to check out the water, good chance it's coast and if I can avoid ruining seafood I'll probably take that option. Not that I'm in a hurry to go Fishing in addition to everything else this map calls for, but backfill with a food resource is backfill with a food resource, even if it's inconvenient.

This is what I thought too, checked for seafood to avoid scewing it up by SIP.

T5
Spoiler :

Fog-gazing showed two suspicious unforested tiles north and east. Scout was in no position to reveal either of them so I figured I see if SIP would ruin seafood.
On the sheep could be possible, but I likely want to see if there are horses around early, and settling on the sheep could risk removing incentive to go AH quickly. :)

On the stone is an option too, but since we have TW already hooking it up when we need it is no big deal.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Ofcourse nothing super yummy on either tile. But they are almost certainly copper and horse!
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Bella came around inbetween turns, and haven't yet settled her soon to be buddhist holy city barcelona. High risk of being boxed in here and the wheat/cow might have to be splitted to two cities.
Gold looks nice, if I can get some city around there going Agri->AH->Mining->BW might be affordable.

In hindsight, settlement on stone would probably have been better. Getting out fogbusters and workers/settlers with no city center hammer and two 5-yielders might be abit slow.
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Spoiler T134 :

Agri->AH->Min->BW->Mason, then I went writing before pottery.
Got 80g failgold from TGW,
Started pyramids, but will chop out another settler for the cow down south for a nice helper first.
Then hopefully pyramids and then alot of settlers to stake out some land and a myriad of workers.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Do people know this trick...?
I roaded to Bella this turn, which means I won't get traderoutes now... Unless I sign OB with Rosevelt, in which case the trade network is refreshed and I instantly get the traderoutes with Bella. Settling a city (or capturing one?) also refreshes the trade network I think.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

More settlers/workers!!
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

It wasn't until long after pyramids I figured I had time for a turn of revolt. Up at 10 workers now and two jungle cities settled, another one for a nice double fish soon too.
Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Bella got Alpha T92 something, but I didn't have aestethics and a turn into alpha until T96, economy was horrid after tha landgrab. The poor gold city had to work the gold instead of growing to save me going into anarchy. :D
I got Alpha from Bella for Aestethics, then Aestethics+Alpha for math+IW with Rosey.

T97 I also begged Sailing from Bella and Myst from Rosey, they do plot at pleased even though it's rare, but begging for those techs takes away that risk factor for 10 turns.
Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

Philo bulb.
Trying to keep GPeople Gen at a minimum, want to spawn a GEng in capital to rush taj with, so trying to get that as the 200point one.
Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG

I checked Roseys land for some spot to put a gift city in, but there where no room. The bugger dropped down to cautious after he built Paya and went free religion.
Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG

A few thousand years too late to really be significant, but I got copper. :)
Bella built AP and Rosey starts a 12 turn GA.
I have been planning to stomp Rosey with cuirs, but that prospect is starting to look less and less likely. Both whipping power and GPeople potential is somewhat low in my land. The two jungle cities where powered with dry corn.
Resorting to cottage spam to have the possibility to play the long game if things gets dicey.

First trade since alpha/math/IW. didn't even get anything from CoL. :(
Gave them both CS for currency/construction/metalcasting/HBR.
Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG

Rosey demands Philosophy, the only monopoly tech I had. But I'm in no position to decline so he gets what he wants and I get up to pleased again.
Trade with Bella to get something at least.
Hope I won't get hurt by not being able to bulb lib.
Civ4ScreenShot0033.JPG

Got the engineer I wanted, phew! Was up at 90% odds because I had to run scientists for a few turns because I was completely out of ok tiles.
Farming plains to be able to grow cities too.
Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG

Spoiler T138 :

Empire overview the turn before Taj finishes. Trying to bump up the food bar in all cities. Capital is giving away all food rich tiles it can to it's helpers.
Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG

Don't know how many turns Rosey have had nationalism, just found out now. :(
Think I'll cash in to get everything from Bella.
Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG

Apparantly I have managed to secure a monopoly on ivory.
I have traded it away for resources+goldper turn though, probably not wise if I plan on cuirs.
Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG

Squeezed in a pair of cities up against Rosey. He did not get Sistine and I think I could be able to push him back abit if I gear in that direction.
Hell, could perhaps even go full culture, got 3 religions (Christianity/Buddhism from Bella, and Tao from the Philo bulb. The copper I popped supports the Tao/Buddah cathedrals and the stone the Christian (and Judaism one, which Bella has but hasn't spread).
Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

Bellas land kind of stinks. Ice and tundra. But in case Rosey gets too strong, I could turn on her too.
Civ4ScreenShot0041.JPG

Rosey is clearly the main competitor in the game though. Really racking up the wonders.
Oh, Bella built GLH? I didn't see that until now, good to know! :D
Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG

The overseas AIs are acting weird. Someone got music first though, and confu went rather early too.
Not a single GGeneral has spanwed, so some incompetent peacenicks?
Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG

Doing decent in demographics.
Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG

Attachments

• T138 Taj in one - NC245_Krikav AD-0560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    215.1 KB · Views: 21
Spoiler T160 :

I made a plan for how to spawn GPersons in a logical order. Beshebalik, Turfan and NIgh-Hsia would all struggle to spawn a person with high requirement, so the other cities had to slow down and let them take the easy spots first.
In the end the order went Beshebalik->Turfan->Nigh-Hsia and New Sarai.
Magyar only got chance to build up some points, but that was nice because I spawned a guy for a GA later on there, lost out on both communism and physics.
Academy in capital, then 1 bulb into edu and one into PP, the last guy I made a secondary academy in New Sarai with.
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

The two forward cities I tried to rush up to 100 culture so that they would get that free culture in the city center. Overall, I built quite alot of culture stuff to keep Rosey at bay.
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Rosey was blazing ahead, he had cuirs of his own. Need something much stronger to tackle him. Astro here to get traderoutes, many where going into Merc.
Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

I was really pushing the infrastructure. I wanted to catch Rosey but in the end I had to resort to gobbling up Bella first.
Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG

Monty gave me gunpowder, everyone he knew at the point already knew about gunpowder. :D
Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG

Spoiler T222 :

For a long time here, it's just infrastructure and buildup, alot of trades too. Economic from Willy.
Rosey I think I sold at least 2 techs to during the game after he did a trade mission.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Chem for corporation with Rosey. I'm boosing him abit now which might be problematic, but at the same time I jump ahead myself too.
Leveys in the 3 major cities, then ironworks in old sarai and then some drydocks and factories/coalplants.
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

The other AIs where also helping out abit. Earlier Pacal gave me SciMet for edu+nationalism.
Physics gave me miltrad and 600g with from Rosey.
I built about 6 privateers and a few reached 10xp (quite easy to do with a drydock) and I got a GGeneral too. Settled the general and build heroic in Turfan.
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

When I started the GA, I went into nationalism and drafted 3 infantry each turn, up to 18. One each turn in that dual-fish spot where I built globe.
Now I couldn't draft anymore and really wanted to swap civics again, but no other AI had communism so Rosey got artillery too.

Shaka declared on Willy earlier, and WIlly asked me to join which I did, then we had a AP vote to declare war so now Rosey+Bella is jumping in on Shaka too.
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Got Toledo and Barcelona the first turn of the war, with ironclads bombarding Toledo, Airships softening up the 3-4 rifles in each city, then brave Cavalry running them down.
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Here though, I was not lucky enough with rolls, still one injured rifleman standing when cavalry where done. A chariot rushed out from city garisson too, but didn't win it's 20% odds fight. :)
Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG

Refrigeration from Willy for Assembly line.
Half of combustion from Rosey for Refrigeration.
Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG

Spoiler T247 :

Had some turns of more buildup before declaring on Rosey, mainly loading up hill-city Tiflis with Marines in case he wanted to hit that spot.
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Both Seattle...
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

And Los Angeles where now reachable T0 of the war.
I got Radio in trade from Willy, so only flight missing for bombers.

Took both cities, Seattle he recaptured and piled in units there for a few turns.
Then it was just a matter of slowly rolling over him with infantry/marines/cavalry/tanks/artillery/airships.
A while later, cities fell faster with fighters moving in first taking a few intercepts, then bombers taking down city defences and then tanks capturing.
Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Bye bye Rosey!
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Willy did get some wonders, but Rosey built most of them.
I built Christo and Broadway myself in ironworks city.
Bella built Statue of liberty and Rosey gave me Pentagon/Gorges Dam/Kremlin
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Haven't really paid much attention to the cities since I started warfare. :D
Not sure which is most fun, going to space or trying some more war?
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

I can get comando troopers! Wonder if that would be fun against Shakas rifles?
Shaka btw, does not want to accept peace even if I give him liberalism+steel+scientific method.
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Spoiler :
Not sure which is most fun, going to space or trying some more war?
If no one is going culture you could go space, but I mean, don't you think Shaka needs to be educated in the fine art of knowing when to take peace :devil:?

Top Bottom