(NOT A BUG) Coastal cities on inland sea-lake unable to build water-units

Kronoz

Chieftain
Take a look at this screenshot - Oporto and Coimbra (left and middle city) cannot build water-units, while Braga (on the right) can.

All three cities should be able to build water units.

Save attached;

Attachments

• Inland Lake-bug.CivBeyondSwordSave
    185.6 KB · Views: 260
Perhaps it's because Oporto and Coimbra sit on exclusively freshwater tiles (the inland lake), but Braga has access to the ocean? I agree that an exception should be made since ships from Oporto can reach the ocean using Braga as a canal, but I suspect that's the logic in play.

Perhaps it's because Oporto and Coimbra sit on exclusively freshwater tiles (the inland lake), but Braga has access to the ocean? I agree that an exception should be made since ships from Oporto can reach the ocean using Braga as a canal, but I suspect that's the logic in play.

No the lake is not fresh-water..

No the lake is not fresh-water..

but it still is separate inland "ocean" (as discussed somewhere else, when inland sea is over 10 tiles, it becomes inland ocean), outside of the real ocean "pool". Without the city, you couldn't get ships out from there.

But true, it would be nicer if you could build ships there. I don't see it much as a 'erroreous' bug, but as a mistake, not realizing that sometimes one could bring ships out from that inland ocean / inland sea. (meaning that bugs would be something that is caused by erroreous code, this is just different way of seeing inland seas and oceans (10 tile seas)).

I would flag this as a "bug", atleast a thing to consider to be modified to work differently for this kind of special occasions...

It could be intentional to stop AI's from spamming water-units into lakes....but its still annoying, I placed those cities there because I saw the potential to make the canal-city.

No - this is not a bug. The city can build water units, because it borders the main ocean.

Its defined in XML:
Code:
<Define>
		<DefineName>LAKE_MAX_AREA_SIZE</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>9</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

That sets the maximum size of a lake.

I think its the
Code:
<iMinAreaSize>20</iMinAreaSize>
tags in the unit infos that set the size of the lake / sea that is required to build galleys & other ships.

In short: lakes need to be a certain size before you can build galleys on them. They need to be at least size 20, apparently.

Ok.

I can live with that, although it is dissapointing. There should be some feature that recognizes an inland lake to be connected to the main sea when a canal is built. After that cities on the inland lake should be able to build water-units.

Buuuut, I guess thats just wishful thinking.

There should be some feature that recognizes an inland lake to be connected to the main sea when a canal is built.

Port cities that can't be attacked from the water? That doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Wait... was it like this before BTS? I've frequently built inland ports, and built ships from them in Warlords... so long as it wasn't labeled as "lake" I could build there. Even on Lakes maps, sometimes they were 9-10 tiles large and I could build ships if I wanted to.

It would be highly unrealistic to not be able to build oceangoing ships in inland lakes, one example of a situation similar to that is the Great Lakes and Lawrence Seaway.

It's easily fixed in the XML file thankfully, I would have been very puzzled too if I encountered that in a game.

In the example given, if Braga were an enemy city, then it could produce sea units (or allow passage of sea units) into the inland sea which could then attack the other two cities. However, the two cities would not be able to defend themselves by building naval units.

This does not seem fair.

Also, just because something isn't accidental doesn't necessarily mean it's good programming. Remember when they added a confirmation OK dialog to the "quick save"? It was removed shortly thereafter.

Top Bottom