[NOT A BUG] Harbor doesn't create trade route

Thrasybulus

Chieftain
Playing as Liz and I built a harbor on an island city but no trade route has been created. Kind of ruins my plans to play as Liz on an archipelago map.

Attachments

• england.Civ5Save
    800 KB · Views: 169
Not a bug.

You need to have a harbor in at least one other city as well. A harbor only connects to another harbor.

And yes, I know the documentation for this building could be a bit clearer about how it works.

Thanks PieceOfMind. One question - can the other harbor be in the capital or does it have to be in another city?

Harbors just connect a water based network to a land-based road network. The harbor can be in any city so long as it is connected to your capital city.

Once you research Railroads, harbors also act as railroad connections. After the discovery of railroad, you can sort of imagine every water tile as being railroaded and harbors connect whatever is on the land to that big imaginary water railroad network.

ok i will tell you what i know about it.

I don't know excactly how trade routes work (not the road/railroad ones either). but let's just assume we need our capital.

So you need a harbor in your capital (if your capital is not near a coast, then you can just build a harbor in another city, and connect the city to your capital by road)

then you can build a harbor to any cities you want a trade route too. Note that the water route has to be fully explored, and not blocked by barbs, enemy units, or other persons borders, also it may not be blocked by ice or land, obviously, there needs to be a route of passable sea (ocean only works if you actually have the ability to cross ocean)

so in short:

- Need a harbor in your capital, or connected to your capital
- Need a harbor in the city you want to connect to (you need at least 2 harbors)
- Need to have 'seen' a possible route to travel (you need to have seen all the tiles and verify they are actually passable, you can't trade in the fog)
- harbors can act as a 'transfer' to and from roads. (for example if you have and island that's so big that you can not go around it in any way, cuz both sides have ice, but you have 1 city in the east and one in the south, and there are several coastal cities, you can connect all the coastal cities with harbors, but 1 side will be left out, so you just connect the 2 closest cities (east and west) with a road, and then all the cities on the other side will suddenly also be on the trade route.

A friend of mine still cant make this work, knowing full well how it works. Harbors in every coastal city, roads to every city that can be connected. No trade across oceans. I thought we he was doing the same thing wrong as was written here myself, but then he showed me the saved game. Its a bug.

A friend of mine still cant make this work, knowing full well how it works. Harbors in every coastal city, roads to every city that can be connected. No trade across oceans. I thought we he was doing the same thing wrong as was written here myself, but then he showed me the saved game. Its a bug.

Savegame please?

Top Bottom