Not Installing New Patch

drkodos

Emperor
The game works fine for me without it. :)

I am also convinced that there will be another patch to come that will augment this one and render it almost moot anyway. :p

I probably wouldn't have installed the patch until next week, just so I could read up on early feed back and problems, but Kael's FfH mod is worth downloading the patch now.

Installed the patch and now I have no text whatsoever... How many lines down is "graphics options"?

I just installed the patch. For some reason it gave me the ability to build to build Scotland Yard and the Kremlin from the start of the game. Curious to see what other people will find when they install it. :confused:

Toshiro126 said:
I just installed the patch. For some reason it gave me the ability to build to build Scotland Yard and the Kremlin from the start of the game. Curious to see what other people will find when they install it. :confused:

What Civ/Scenario were you playing?!

drkodos said:

I am also convinced that there will be another patch to come that will augment this one and render it almost moot anyway. :p

I'm going to install it, just not right away. Game works fine for me too, but I like some of the changes they've made to balance the game.

drkodos said:

It will work better if you use it, several memory leaks have been fixed. There's also been some gameplay changes.

No there won't. This is it until Warlords is released.

Tom183 said:
Installed the patch and now I have no text whatsoever... How many lines down is "graphics options"?

I've read that there's some issues with CivScale and the Blue Marble mods. Someone else reported that a clean install fixed this problem.

Willem said:
It will work better if you use it, several memory leaks have been fixed. There's also been some gameplay changes.

No there won't. This is it until Warlords is released.

I respect your position, however after reading and re-reading all the "improvements" I have not found any that I feel the need to explore and make a reality for myself. :cool:

ALSO: I am embarssingly ignorant as to what a "memory leak" is. I am sure it has been explained elsewhere but I was not able to find it. :crazyeye:

So, allow me my delusions that there will be yet another, NEW & IMPROVED patch at some point in the future? :lol:

Willem said:
It will work better if you use it, several memory leaks have been fixed.

Any details? The release notes talk about reduced system and video memory usage, but don't specify under what circumstances - e.g. single player, stock games, with mods etc...

drkodos said:
ALSO: I am embarssingly ignorant as to what a "memory leak" is. I am sure it has been explained elsewhere but I was not able to find it. :crazyeye:

When a program undergoes a certain function, it uses up a certain amount of RAM in order to process it. Ordinarily, that memory gets cleaned up after awhile so the RAM is freed for other functions. With a memory leak however it doesn't get cleared and everytime the function is called, that memory just builds up. Eventually it reaches a point where your physical RAM is used up and the program is forced to use your virtual memory, which is much slower. As a consequence the whole program slows down and in extreme cases, if it also uses up all your virtual memory as well, your computer will crash.

So using the new patch will mean that your end game will run better, with less lag and slowdowns.

dosbox said:
Any details? The release notes talk about reduced system and video memory usage, but don't specify under what circumstances - e.g. single player, stock games, with mods etc...

I don't really know any of the specifics, nor would I probably understand them if I did. One that I do know of involved the aircraft patrols, though I don't know the exact details. All I know is that they found a leak in the animations of them circling a city.

drkodos said:
I am also convinced that there will be another patch to come that will augment this one and render it almost moot anyway.

I think at this point there will be no further patches specifically for vanilla Civ4.

Originally posted by Belboz:
What Civ/Scenario were you playing?!

I was playing as China, standard continents, monarch, epic speed. Ancient beginning...

Willem said:
I've read that there's some issues with CivScale and the Blue Marble mods. Someone else reported that a clean install fixed this problem.
Yep - fixed.

Ye gods! A person who isn't complaining about how bad Firaxis is and how slow they are!

Cody, on top of that, I'm going to agree with the title under your avatar. Dr Pepper is indeed a fine beverage, and I ought to have some more often.

I've installed the patch and am about to re-try a game I started earlier. We'll see whether the changes wreak havoc on any bad habits I might've got... *crosses fingers*

I've gotten over some bad habbits and I'm back to playing the game like I did before I even heard about chop rushing, only now the tech patchs make more sence

Top Bottom