Not many folks stop here anymore. But this is the best Civ game of all!

stwils

Emperor
Are people just carried away with Civ4? I am sure it is a treat for the eyes.

I like Civ3 and played it a lot.

Yet, when you come right down to it, Civ 1 is the basic game, no frills, but a beautiful concept.

I have Civ1 DOS, Civ Win, and Civ Net. And I love all three. Especially Civ1 DOS.

The concept is what is important. Not high tech graphics. Yet, I guess that is what attracts most people.

Why do you think people don't come to this forum more often?

stwils

Because most of the people who played civ1 stopped when civ2 came out. Those who held out gave in when civ3 came out.. and now the few who remain (IC, Dack, Goldberg, picachu, me etc) do so for one of the following reasons:

1. They can't afford the other games. Although they really really wanna play civ2 or 3 or 4 they just can't afford them.
2. Civ1 holds a special place in their hearts. It was the first and will always be.
3. They have tried the others but simply find civ1 the most beautifully made version. It works so well it's like art. Which is true.

I'm definetely a number 3. I only discovered the civilization series in 03 so I was, like, over a decade behind everybody else :) It just works for me. I love it.

+1. And also the graphics. Pure 2D is much more suitable for Civ-kind of games than isometry.

Ifrit9 you are right, I don't like the sloping maps in the later versions, I have a slower computer i.e. 433Mhz and need to upgrade before I try civ 4, but no doubt that I will enjoy it, I enjoy sometimes playing Rome Total War on my friend's PC and that is fancy but good game play, and also same with Battle field 1942, From what I hear civ 4 is a good update for these SUPER FAST POWERFUL machines!

Plus the beauty of civ is that it is a strategy game, and the simplicity of civ 1 makes it the best strategy game of all time...

Most gamers are young and were not even around when Civ1 first came out. By default people get the latest version and that means that younger gamers start out with Civ3 and Civ4. People like trada who says he started palying Civ1 in 2003 are very much the exception.

The majority of Civ1 players are too old and too busy to play computer games. They have not moved on to Civ2,3,4.

Top Bottom