OB02 - Giving is Better than Receiving

Well everything looks pretty good to continue beating on Alex, so we'll continue on that course. Our land plus Alex's put us just short of domination limit, so I'll try and expand our Mali and Aztec borders as well.

Press enter

IBT he throws 6 units at us all over the place, 5 die and one lucky cavalry withdraws. (Well not so lucky as I kill him next turn :lol:)

Wow WW is at 13 :lol:

Only notice that we're building a palace at Frankfurt when it builds :confused: well it will help push the border back a bit maybe.

The WW means I'm not producing as much military as happiness buildings. I reconnect our gems which gives +2 happies.

Bangalore falls and I notice that Alex now has artillery.

Corinth falls.

Culture slider is put up to 30% and research down to 20%.

Communism finally comes in and I select Fascism as Police State would be handy. I revolt to state property to get maintenance benefits, which allows me to boost research and culture 10%.

Oxford falls.

Sparta falls.

Delphi falls.

Athens falls.

I've got stacks advancing on Knossos, Argos and Nottingham. We need to continue this war as we'll have no chance of keeping Athens culturally without taking Knossos and Warwick (Taoist holy city).

Still no Biology from Alex in peace talks but he'll give us said holy city.

We're at 36.81% land (and 7 cities in revolt), we'll need to take Monty after Alex as well. :cry:

Mansu hasn't got Rocketry yet and is actually doing a goos job in the war effort by tidying up stray Greeks.

No requests for presents from anyone this turn.

How the mighty have fallen...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/88650/Santa_Claus_AD-1950.Civ4SavedGame

Nobody asked for presents, so I just followed Ozbennos example.

Nottingham falls.

Argos falls.

Warwick falls.

Mycenae falls.

Samarkand falls.

Knossos falls.

Pharsalos falls.

And I only lost 5 troops, two of those to a barbarian.

Troops are ready outside Herakleia to take it.

Alex has two more arctic cities besides Herakleia.

We have troops all over the recently taken cities.

And I've begun stashing in Madras and München for an assault on Montezuma.

I started building Mt. Rushmore in Hamburg.

I picked rocketry, since I figured we'd have won by then.

We're at 47.96%, with border expansions, that will bring us close to the 64%.

Oh and I forgot to switch to police state, do that first thing.

Edit: Sorry about the size and resizing thingy, dont know what happened there.

Spoiler :
Preturn: 100 turns left.

Turn 1: Munich Artillery -> Artillery. Shanghai Christian Temple -> Colosseum. Beijing Temple -> Colosseum.

Turn 2: M A->A, Essen Aqueduct -> Observatory. Dortmund Temple -> Colosseum. Goth Theatre -> Factory.

Turn 3: M A->A. Hamborg Artillery -> Colosseum. Frankfurt Cathedral -> Observatory. Delhi Cavalry -> Artillery. Xian, Hangzhou Infantry -> Infantry. Bangalore Theatre. Oxford Theatre.

Turn 4: M A->A. Hamborg Colosseum -> Observatory. Karachi Temple -> Infantry.

Turn 5: M A->A. Cologne Cathedral -> Jail. Jaipur Artillery -> Artillery. Beijing Colosseum -> Jail. Sparta Theatre.

IBT: Mansa made peace with Alex.

Turn 6: M A->A. Essen Observatory -> Temple. Calcutta Artillery -> Jail. Guangzhou Cathedral -> Infantry. Shanghai Colesseum -> Jail. Oxford Theatre -> Courthouse.

First unit lost, an artillery to a barbarian rifleman.

Turn 7: M A->A. Tianjin Factory -> Infantry. Hangzhou Infantry -> Infantry. Corinth Theatre. Delphi Theatre.

Turn 8: M A->A. Hamburg Observatory -> Temple. Frankfurt Observatory -> Bank. Delhi Artillery -> Infantry. Essen Temple -> Stupa. Madras Temple -> Jail. Dortmund colosseum -> Theatre. Sparte Theatre -> Courthouse. Pesky barbarian took another artillery. 3,4

Turn 9: Ahh Fascism, pick rocketry and switch to police state. M A->A. Cologene Jail -> Infantry. Chengdu Library -> Theatre. Themopylae Theatre -> Library. Athens Theatre. GP born in Cologne.

Turn 10: Hamburg Temple -> Mt.Rushmore. M A->A. Dortmund Theatre -> Temple. Nottingham Theatre. Warwick Theatre.

Postturn: Troops are ready outside Herakleia to take it. Alex has two more arctic cities besides Herakleia. We have troops all over the recently taken cities. And I've begun stashing in Madras and München for an assault on Montezuma. We're at 47.96%, with border expansions, that will bring us close to the 64%. Oh and I forgot to switch to police state, do that first thing.

Attachments

• Santa Claus AD-1960.Civ4SavedGame
    319 KB · Views: 68
Its certainly getting easier; almost a forgone conclusion. Turning point has been McArine/Greyfox 1920s set that saw Alex's power tumbling down.

McArnie, I knew what you mean. one more infantry has died due to the soft-spot :dubious:

Anyway, played what should be my last turnset as the Santa's Elf.

I first revolted to Police State:

Then proceed to capture one more city from Greece ...

... and razed the former English city:

That is a useless city and since we have to take cities from Aztec to win anyway, no sense in keeping that city.

While hammering on what's left of the "mighty" greece, I have been marshalling forces all around the world to the Aztec borders.

Finally, I decided to let Alex live in exile on the northern Eskimo city, and declared on Monty:

As expected, he wasted his troops re-taking the buddhist holy city:

And then, It's My Turn Again :hammer:

Next player should take 2 cities fairly early. The easier one is Aztcapot-whatever:

London might be a tad more difficult with the Artilleries and a shiny new transport :lol:

With Rushmore and Police State, WW is well contained, thus culture is shifted back to zero, and science upped to 60%. I don't know why we go for Rocketry (MM is showing off his new tank, and wouldn't agree on the price to declare on Monty), but it doesn't matter anymore. We are at 56% (64% for domination) land.

The game shouldn't return to me. Make it so.

>>> 1970AD Save <<<

McArnie, I knew what you mean. one more infantry has died due to the soft-spot :dubious:
:lol:
I don't know why we go for Rocketry (MM is showing off his new tank, and wouldn't agree on the price to declare on Monty), but it doesn't matter anymore. We are at 56% (64% for domination) land.
That is exactly why, I figured that we would be finished soon, and would not make it to tanks. Then I just picked one.

Good going all!

This game should be over soon.

Sorry I couldnt be of more value in the last turnsets. RL has been very busy. I have only barely been able to keep up with the discussions in the new SGOTM. I joined Pigswill's Trash Team. Loads of discussion going on there..

For the coming period, I'll have to manage my time and only focus on one SG at a time....

Any this was/is a fun variant.

This isn't a 'got it' but it is a 'I will get it unless someone wants to get to it first'.

This is now a 'got it'. Hopefully be finished by Sunday (my set, probably the game).

1970. Is the spirit of Christmas dead? Not at all. Mansa agrees to attack Monte in exchange for fascism.

1971. Discover rocketry; sell it to Mansa for a pittance. Research 0&#37;, culture 50%. Happy happy. Anarchy for two turns as change to slavery in case we need to whip theatres for culture.

1973. Peace with Alex. How have the mighty fallen. He's moved to our former home at the North Pole.

In the meantime we're trading units with Monte, capturing occasional cities. As if to prove that AI allies can be helpful Mansa produces a decent stack o' doom.

More tedious fighting. Monte is annihilated in 1979. Cities are slowly getting culture and expanding borders until finally in 1980:

An interesting variant indeed. I was surprised that AI demands dried up towards the second half of the game. The game certainly helped me appreciate chopping :lol: .

Oops. Forgot to save end game. here's the 1978 autosave if anyone's interested:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/90414/AutoSave_AD-1978.Civ4SavedGame

Top Bottom