1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OCC Club Mk 3 Game 1: Suleiman

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by happyturtle, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Silverbow

Silverbow Prince

Spoiler :
    Second warrior? The first military unit I built was a marine :D

2. cas

cas Emperor

Messed around with a 2nd attempt after thinking about VoiceOfUnreason's post.

Spoiler :

noble, normal. 1840BC CS sling was possible. I think on emporer, maybe 1800BC.

Tech path: pottery-mining-writing-myst-mason-med-priest-CoL(2080BC)-math(1880BC)-CS (Oracle)-Alphabet-some traded techs including BW/Poly-Aesthetics-literature-paper-edu (1GS bulb). Emporer might get lucky and one of the AI researches Alphabet for you.

worker actions to Oracle:
    farm corn, mine gold, cottage north fp, worker has 2 turns before masonary is completed, so I moved 2S and did 1 turn of cottage on 2nd fp. Once masonary is complete, improve marble and finish 2nd fp cottage. then roads toward Justin.

Build order: worker-warrior-warrior-library-warrior-Oracle/worker...then on to GLib/NE/Pyramids/Oxford/monastaries/etc. Had to delay Oracle while I finished math. Want a 2nd worker for quicker chops. I think the Pyramids finished around 950BC. I finished GLib first since it was noble...would have finished Mids first on higher level. I ended up chopping all the forests as a test, but I think it would be better to leave 4 for health reasons.

On higher diff levels the warriors are needed for fogbusting. On noble, one goes counter-clockwise and the other clockwise around the lake so you meet all the AI by the time you have Alphabet.

I played up to Lib->Bio sling around 560AD. Very powerful. Should work up to emporer diff. I did get lucky on a couple of GS with about 60% odds rather than prophets/GE/GA.

cas

3. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

@cas

Spoiler :
    I had looked at that, and decided that trying to calculate cottage vs farm was too complicated; did you also get your Academy built in this window?

My intuition is to keep all of the BFC forests - it's a long long way to Genetics, which raises the opportunity cost of short term tradeoffs. Bulbling likewise. Not relevant if your main trump is a different victory condition.

Thus, the natural point to train a second worker seems to be during the run to Scientific Method.

4. cas

cas Emperor

@VoU

Spoiler :

Academy came in during CoL research...early to middle if I remember correctly.

Need the 2nd cottage for 1-2 turns instead of working corn to get the last few beakers for 1840BC versus 1800BC Oracle->CS sling assuming pop6, but I did farm both fp later.

Keeping all the forests is not best, IMHO. Yes, it is shorter-term gain to chop, but you get faster Mids/GLib/NE/Uni/Oxford...etc. Those things add up.

However, I'm not sure if it offsets the hit to health and beats NP/forest preserves. I always go NP/forest preserves so I was trying something different to compare.

I'm not much for calculating into the future turns. I just play by experience and what seems best...which always leaves room for improvement, of course. Sometimes major improvement. :p

If I played this again, I would chop the green forests and farm those. And leave the plains forests. Try to get the preserves on the plains forests to fill in the green tiles after Bio/NP.

Not sure I can stand another noble run-through though. Maybe Emporer so I can compare my original game against it.

cas

5. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Strangely, I have NEVER played a OCC. So gave it a try. Tried on immortal because I wasn't sure what to expect (like accidently autorazing cities I wanted to capture), and I don't like this leader.
    Spoiler :

6. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

has anyone tried this on quick speed?