1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

OCC in Civ6 (One City Challenge)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by hollus, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

They show 0 tourism but if you add them up they do count... I tested this... I may have been wrong but I did check this out months ago. Can you add them all up and double check for me?

very impressed!

2. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

After checking, I'm not 100% sure they add up.

The reports page seems to give correct tourism yields (678), but the figure at top menu shows tourism yields without seaside resorts (530).

And if we take a look at world rankings, it shows my current tourism gain to Victoria is 662 (including +25% boost for open borders). 530x1.25 = 662.5

So, the only figure where seaside resorts are included is on reports page.

Ps. I have attached the save file, if you want to double double check.

Attached Files:

3. hollus

hollus Chieftain

So, my small experiment with OCC played in the ”WOOCC” style (Wear´em-off-one-city-challenge) is over. Short story, victory in turn 463 (Prince, so not a big achievement).

Long story? Much learnt about play possibilities, victory conditions and the final turns; and much learnt about what not to do again: never again standard map with continents. It takes waaaaay toooooo loooong to play WOOCC, moving the units across the vast spaces which are always spawning barb camps and moving the units over the seas… even Civfanatics are expected to have a life, and this game probably took more than 50 hours of actual play.

Now to the victory conditions:

Domination victory is achievable and actually what I thought I would get in turn 462. One just has to reduce their last cities to a rubble, best done keeping a range and a melee/cavalry unit near each city, then take them all in the same turn. It turned out that I took the largest rival capitals first… and after I took the second, I triggered cultural victory! I wasn’t even the first in culture, only a safe second, but as it turns out, I had enough accumulated tourism to double the 4th civ and everyone else. So cultural victory it was! I was flattening 7 capitals at the same time, but it turns out that taking two was enough, which could have been done 100 turns earlier or even more. I guess I could also have achieved religious victory in a similar way?

Score victory, my best guess of a victory condition when I started the game, was possible… maybe! I was only leading India by 2 points. I could probably have made extra wonders (I should, final city size was only 18), but I just did not see this one coming. If they have their wonders, their great works and their size in the capital… they can actually compete in score.

And the biggest surprise: science victory was actually achievable. The final battles were fought with tanks and mech. Inf. and I had launched moon landing around turn 440. I did run a bit short of time to actually get this by turn 500, but barely and turn 500 would have been feasible if I even suspected that it would ever be and planned early and accordingly. The secret: science pillage farming. For most of the game I was stuck below or around 50 beakers per turn, and even at the very end, with the campus project, it was below 100, but! One can pillage a lot more science than one can produce. Keeping your weaker rivals around, and maybe keeping more than one city, allows them to rebuild those campuses and those mines for your pillage harvesting, again and again (also a great source of money). Sweet 50 beakers a pop from about half game. The best part was having Sumeria very close to home planting ziggurats everywhere. And one can pillage from city states too, as long as they declare war on you, for no cost at all! If I were to play again, taking this strategy to the extreme, one could declare war, pillage as much science as there is (keep the luxes intact!) and then abandon a worker (likely a slave) near them before marching away and dealing for peace. If they capture the worker, you know who is going to go around repairing those ziggurats and mines.

But science victory will be an experiment in a different game, in a smaller and pangea world.

4. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Here's a deity dom occ. 2 capitals to go, around turn 180. Notice though that I'm keeping old capitals. Not a cheat, imo. I've got to waste troops defending them.

Spoiler :

Victoria likes this.
  5. Victoria

Yeah, it's not like you can sack them or give them away and win a Dom. Nice to see your spirit stays with the OCC ideal though.
    How are you keeping up with science?

6. agonistes

@Victoria I'm not, really. I should be pillaging more. I had to fight through France's UU if I recall. Pain when the city gets urban defenses and that UU. But ultimately, it just comes down to rams and not overexposing your units. Haven't touched the save since back in... June? But I'm pretty sure I'm racing against the tech clock. Not for the space race. For unit parity.

7. antimony

antimony Chieftain

Pangea, standard size, Prince OCC science with Gilgamesh. You definitely need a grasslands/river start for this. Basically Ziggurat on flatlands, mines on hills, plus Oxford and Ruhr.

Also, opponents were handpicked to avoid obvious science powerhouses (Frederick), have leaders whose agendas are easy to meet, and have a few cultural Civs that would hopefully keep parity (avoided Teddy this time, since he really outpaces everyone at the end).

Thankfully, the espionage capacity doesn't depend on the number of cities, so the OCC civ can keep up in that department.

It was fun and (relatively) quick to play, but such a no war OCC SV might be very difficult higher than Prince (or King).

Attached Files:

Victoria likes this.
  8. antimony

antimony Chieftain

The other option I considered for a no war OCC SV was Saladin, with Pilgrimage to build up massive faith to convert cities for the science, and buy great scientists. And while the science per turn potential of an Arabia OCC is higher than Sumeria, in practice it takes much longer to get there and you need a huge map (meaning more opponents that get a chance to beat you to victory). Not only that, the science from the last prophet is not added at the city level, so it doesn't benefit from the multipliers from Oxford, amenities, etc.

9. agonistes

@pahakuutti How did you manage to build the great library? That usually gets built before I even reach classical.

10. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

It's been a while since that game. But I think, maybe some chopping was involved.

When playing OCC, the most important wonders are Oracle, Colosseum and the Great Library. Without those your one city empire will have very unhappy citizens or you'll end up without getting any great people.

11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It would be interesting to see an Indonesia OCC, especially with Kampungs.

12. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

I could only manage it on Deity going dom, had a t212 win, was behind in everything. Interestingly I had to beeline field cannons, as I didn't have any resources, and literally just overwhelm the last 3 A.I with cannons, they had infantry and one of them had started space projects.

13. Victoria

Can you provide civ, map size, map type and speed pls? It provides the right context.

I believe they chopped it in.

14. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Germany, standard, shuffle and standard. Im pretty sure standard and standard is the general metric for measuring anything.

15. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I tried my first OCC yesterday. I had another game (Qin/Standard/Fractal) that after playing that one, thought it might make for a great OCC. By moving my settler one turn, I got Mt Kilimanjaro in my city's range to give me lots of food, and the rest of the land was basically entirely hills around a river. Combined with Stockholm being the city-state south of me (for better GPP), and the map essentially being like a coffee cup with me alone on the arm, I thought it would be ideal.

I toned down in difficulty (King, whereas playing the map the first time I was cruising along at Immortal), and it went great early. I decided to treat it as a peaceful game, as my nearest neighour not counting city-states was probably 40 tiles away. As long as I could get amenities and housing my city was rocking it, and pretty easily got any wonder I wanted. Between Oracle and Stockholm, and basically just constantly running projects, I was able to grab pretty much all the great people I needed. I ended up with all 3 of the merchants that gave +1 trade route slot, so I was running 5 or 6 trade routes late in the game. I was first in science up to about the early modern era.

And then things basically came crashing down. My first flaw was that I kind of half went culture, and half went science. I was doing well in both, but I think with only one city you need to really focus one way or the other. But the real problem is that at that point in the game, everyone else very quickly moved ahead in science. Running CQUI I could see everyone's science output, and while I was pulling in about 80 per turn (including the campus project), I was around the same as the top other civs. But then I stalled out, only peaking at around 110-120, while everyone else shot ahead as they kept settling and expanding. And they captured my science city-states, which dropped me down a bit more. And at that point, with Frederik pulling ahead in science, and Mvemba gobbling up the culture, I quit after my moon launch, knowing that it would take forever to finish.

I probably could have survived and won the game had instead of opting for the purely peaceful strategy I did, to instead adopt the raze and burn strategy to keep everyone else down. Essentially continuously run wars of liberation to knock someone down, and burn their other cities. I could have also potentially tried to go religion - nobody seemed to want to found them, to the point where around 50 or 80 turn in, the only religion founded was from stonehenge. Whether I would have been able to convert enough to win by religion, or simply get the holy site in early and build up faith for other purchases, that might have helped.

But yeah, OCC is pretty hard even knowing the map beforehand. I realize China probably isn't the best for it, but it was kind of cool to have the great wall circle my one city.

16. Boyan_Sun

Boyan_Sun Chieftain

Hello, there is an OCC report on Chinese forum last month, link: [France OCC T266 Culture Victory] https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5476466977 (settings: deity, standard speed, real world, no barbarians, no goody huts)

17. Victoria

Thanks @Boyan_Sun It's good to see some targets out there like France T266 CV. Would you mind providing if it was Deity or what level it was at?
    i wonder how much use they made of spies, quite a lot I imagine.

18. Boyan_Sun

Boyan_Sun Chieftain

deity, 6 spies(level 3):crazyeye:

19. Victoria

They are in fact level 4. It shows as 3 promotions but a spy with 0 promotions is level 1. At least that's how I understand them.
    I need something to look at what is in the spy tables and any idea of how it works on how it works out detection. not keen on running 1000 sample missions to get some stats, that will take a long time.
    Spies can get you a lot of science.

20. Copper_47

Copper_47 Chieftain

Hi, I’m the player who played “France OCC T266 Culture Victory” on Chinese forum. You can call me 47:)
    From where I stand, OCC has a huge amount of luck baked into it, so you may save & load unceasingly when playing. In this game, I built some useless wonders (such like Hanging Garden) just for their tourism, for which I spent a lot of production with the risk of duang. (Duang means that your building wonder was built by others, and you can hear a system sound like duang)
    Catherine’s spies is really useful for she has the ability named Flying Squadron. I trained 6 spies and they brought a lot of money and science boost for me. However, I think other civilization using this way is not recommended.