Occupied city remains occupied forever after conquering host civilization

CaptainKoloth

Chieftain
I conquered a city (not the capital) from the Spartans when playing on the old version. On the new patch, the city has remained occupied even though I conquered their capital and eliminated them from the game approximately 100 turns earlier. Their capital is not showing as occupied.

Here's a save file by the way. Corinth has been occupied for something like 200 turns and Sparta doesn't exist anymore.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0326.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 162
Yep, occupied. So, you took Corinth while playing the unpatched game and then took Sparta (Gorgo's only remaining city) after the patch?

I actually conquered both before the patch. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what turn I installed the patch on and my auto saves have long since written over the turns when the initial problem occurred so I can't easily back that information out.

In case the information is helpful, the sequence of events was as follows:
I declared war on Gorgo and captured Corinth.
War ended but she did not cede control, city remained occupied by me.
Later, she declared war on me and recaptured Corinth.
During this second war, I subsequently captured Corinth again and proceeded to capture Sparta and drive her out of the game.
Some undetermined time after this I got the patch. Corinth remained occupied throughout.

Last edited:
At first blush, I would point to the first peace treaty as the source of the problem. If the status of the conquered/occupied city is not resolved in that peace treaty (either ceded to you by her (which she will refuse to do) or returned by you to her), the occupied status flag probably never gets cleared. But her later recapturing it and then you re-recapturing it is a complicating factor that certainly undermines that line of thought.

In my experience cities do not remain occupied (no growth, reduced production) after a peace deal, even if not ceded. They usually go back to normal immediately when the peace treaty is signed. I just tested this one more time in a random save where I was at war. 3 occupied cities, make peace with no cities mentioned in treaty, all cities immediately operate normally and start growing.

The only time a city will remain occupied is if you conquer it and sign a peace treaty before the keep/raze city screen comes up. In that case the city will not show up at all on the trade screen when you make the peace treaty. After the treaty is signed, you have to make the decision about keeping the city, which puts it into occupied status, where it probably will remain for the rest of the game.

The same issue has happened in one of my games, India ceded me a city in a peace treaty (which I had not captured, he just gave it to me anyway), he captured it in a later war, and I recaptured it in order to eliminate him. Now it won't grow at all, even though India no longer exists.

[1.0.0.56 (241523)]

The city of Astrakhan is stuck in an occupied state. Attached are two saves demonstrating this situation. Unfortunately, I do not have a save from before this problem occurred; I did not notice the situation immediately because I was not expecting it to happen.

I am playing Germany, and this situation arose due to my interaction with Russia and Egypt. Before Russia founded Astrakhan I had declared war on them, mostly to harass their religious units. I was planning to expand to the location of Astrakhan but they beat me to it. I would have been willing to capture the city, but on a whim I checked diplomacy and Russia was willing to trade the city to me for peace. I accepted, as the war with them was not a priority and that territory is the most I would want to get out of continued aggression anyway. Shortly thereafter Egypt declared war on me, and captured Astrakhan (which had not had time to build defenses). Egypt's forces broke trying to take a more developed city, however, and I was able to retake Astrakhan. At that point I was given a choice: keep the city or liberate it to the original owner (Russia). I chose to keep the city and it entered an occupied state. With Egypt's army crushed I was in a position to conquer its remaining cities, which I did, eliminating the civilization. This was apparently the point at which the problem struck; without a peace deal in which Egypt ceded control of Astrakhan to me, it never left the occupied state. The attached turn 180 save demonstrates this situation.

When I first noticed the problem, many turns later, I thought that perhaps the game thought that I was occupying a Russian city. I assumed that I would have to negotiate with Russia to release it. So, I waited patiently and eventually Russia declared war on me. I set about inflicting enough losses on it so that a peace deal would be accepted. When I went to negotiate the deal, however, I found that Astrakhan was not available as a point of negotiation, neither as an occupied city to be ceded or returned, nor as a non-occupied city to be yielded, for either party. Astrakhan is not available in negotiations with other civilizations either; it is as if the city does not exist. The attached turn 239 save demonstrates this situation.

When Egypt was eliminated, I controlled two of their former cities (Astrakhan and Thebes) which were in an occupied state. The game correctly released Thebes from that state when Egypt was eliminated. The game's failure to release Astrakhan from that state may stem from the fact that it was originally a Russian city. It is appropriate for the game to track the fact that Astrakhan was originally a Russian city; Russia should recognize the fact that I hold one of their former cities, for diplomatic purposes, even though Egypt at one point controlled it. However, the game needs to understand that when I captured Astrakhan from Egypt I was occupying an Egyptian city that was originally Russian, rather than occupying a Russian city (which seems to be the case). When Egypt was eliminated, the city should have left the occupied state (as Thebes did), and I should have had full control of a city that the game recognized as originally Russian. That city should be available for use in negotiations with other civilizations, just like any other city that I had founded myself, or that had been ceded or traded to me by another civilization.

I will keep my eye out for this situation in the future, and if it happens again I should be able to provide saves from just before and just after the problem occurs. If there is any other information I can provide that will assist in fixing this bug, please let me know.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 180 1190 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 239 1640 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
Hey,

I got the same issue here.

I first wipe out the Spain, and took 2 cities (Madrid as capital + Valencia), and raze one.

Then Roma came with bloody legions, and declare war.
They had jakarta when they declare war, during the war they took me Valencia.
I finally negociate the peace, Valencia was not in the options, jakarta was but not with cede option. I put in in the deal.

Finally Jakarta, and Valencia are mine, but they remain occupied, i can not deal them any more, and Roma can't give either.

No before/after patch involved in this.

any help ?

Same here when steam rolling Poland, which had taken cities off of Peter. Jadwiga gave me three cities in a peace treaty, one of them remains occupied even after I wiped Peter off the map. I have yet to take out Poland, but the city should not be occupied, right?

This game is played on my Mac.

Top Bottom