[GRAPHICS] Odds and Ends

Balthasar

Wise Man
Over the last few weeks, as Vuldacon & I have approached the final phase of making our epic Old West Mod, I've been increasingly frustrated by the number of unfinished small projects cluttering up my virtual workspace. This thread is a place for me to finally put some of these orphan projects.

(Btw, here's an image of the OWM 's brand new title screen. It has an immense thumbnail ) : Click for full-sized preview

So I'll begin by stocking this thread with some Title Screens, which were made just for practice, but which could be useful in a Mod, or just to spice up your own personal Civ experience. These have custom buttons made for both Conquests and Civ III Complete formats (click on thumbnails for full size previews) :

"Breaker Boys" Title Screen - Breaker boys worked in coal mines in England and the US, and were used to remove impurities and errant material from the coal loads beginning in the 1860s until the practice was finally ended in the 1920s. I found this image quite compelling.

In Civ Complete: In Conquests:

Download

"Morning Armor" Title Screen - sorry about the awkward title. Couldn't think of anything else to describe this moody title screen featuring French Renault tanks on an open field, with a lone observer.

Download

"Adventure Tours" Title Screen - A complete departure from the serious mood of the other two, this title screen began as something completely different, then demanded to be morphed into this quirky but fun title screen. The Voodoo knife stuck in the sand down in the corner is from an image of a real one.

Download

City Graphics: US Bases for Vietnam War Mod

Next up, a remnant of when I was working on a Vietnam War Mod.
These are US bases from that conflict - firebases, compounds, and air bases.
Files are named to be used as city graphic for American culture group.

Download

Custom Title Screens

I've also done some custom Title Screens for specific Mods, which I really should have posted sooner, I know -

King Arthur's "Super Scenario" Title Screen - I posted an early version of this title screen in the thread for King Arthur's Super Civ Scenario back when it was first uploaded in 2010. In this very, very, very belated update, the superhero in the foreground now sports a Civ III logo, the graphics don't conflict quite as much, and of course, custom buttons. The city pictured in the background is a screenshot of the game map.

In Civ Complete: In Conquests: Download

Okay, back in February (2018), when I was working on the End of The Year Contest (which got sidetracked by a sudden onset of Nasty Problems (since resolved) but will return soon as the 'Civ III Hall of Fame Awards' - but I digress..). I contacted some mod makers about making title splashes for their new mods, because I use them to represent those mods in the contests. Gwendoline and Oni Ryuu were very kind to allow me to make this 'fan art' ('cause I am a fan!) for their mods:

Gwendoline's "Man's Work" Mod Title Screen - I love this image. It's both soft and tough-as-nails. I think the original photo was from Afghanistan.

Oni Ryuu's "TLC Merchantile Modpack" Title Screen - Oni provided the source image to me, and I got inspired. This is truly one of my personal favorites.

Stay tuned for more...

Last edited:
Cool stuff. I like the Adv Tours title screen general positioning of things, though the overall content is not something that I like.

The Old West title screen looks very professional. Good Job!

Thanks Takeo. The wagon wheel spokes appear to turn when you mouse over them! The original image was posted online by Tim Wetzel, an Associate Professor at the Art Institute of Philadelphia, who gets the credit for that great western street scene. I've modified it a bit for the title screen, but you can see the original here. It's been reposted so many times that it was a bit tricky to track down the name of the original artist, but I'm glad that I did so that I can give attribution.

I think the C3C logo looks pretty good in a western-style font, too. That was the fun part!

Very nice title screens! My favorite is the Old West one; Wetzel did a great job with the image, but the font choices are most fitting, too. What program did you use to create them?

I also hadn't realized that there was a difference in how title screens appear between Conquests and Complete, having played nearly all Conquests. I think I slightly prefer the smaller Conquests version, but I see the point of not having the buttons and font overlap in the Complete one.

The Vietnam bases are a unique addition to the list of city graphics; good job on them as well!

Very nice title screens! My favorite is the Old West one; Wetzel did a great job with the image, but the font choices are most fitting, too. What program did you use to create them?

Thank you, too, for the kind words, Q.

I made it in GIMP. Vuldacon's been trying forever to get me to switch to photoshop, but this is the bicycle I learned on. The font is, I think, a movie font. It's called "Rio Oro".

"Adventure Tours" Title Screen - A complete departure from the serious mood of the other two, this title screen began as something completely different, then demanded to be morphed into this quirky but fun title screen. The Voodoo knife stuck in the sand down in the corner is from an image of a real one.

Dude, your title and interface screens have always been great, but this is so wonky and creatively off-the-wall that it's absolutely brilliant.

I made it in GIMP. Vuldacon's been trying forever to get me to switch to photoshop, but this is the bicycle I learned on.

You know what I like best about Gimp...?

Link to video.

Top Bottom