1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Old timer's, what are your thoughts so far?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by wiggawuu, May 25, 2016.

1. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

Civ I when I was a kid in the early 1990s. I loved it. Then: nothing (many games but nothing from the Civ series).

In 2007 a friend of mine gave me his Civ IV disc so he would not be able to play it anymore. I made good use of it. I haven't played a single hour of V yet because I still haven't played enough of IV (though I took month-long breaks from playing every now and then)! Crazy when you think about it.

I am hopeful for Civ VI, and would very much like it to be good. But ultimately there's not much we can talk about right now. As elitetroops stated some pages prior, all the cool stuff like Eureka moments, districts, the different "tech" trees and combining units could end up being groundbreaking, or just some pretty distraction. Here I'm speaking from the perspective of someone not interested in firing up a casual game every now and then but in getting better and better at the game while still experiencing different paths to victory.

A big part of the game's quality will be how the AI is going to cope with all those options, especially with combat but also diplomacy, research priorities and city specialization.

2. jimbobduggar

jimbobduggar Chieftain

I hear you I know alot of people did not like civ 3 but I still play it from time to time its still so much fun.

3. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Thoughts right now are that they must be having issues or be behind schedule if they still can't say what the minimum or recommended specs are.

4. Auramagma

Auramagma Chieftain

I am starting to be more concerned about the actual strategy part of the game the more I see the shared footage. It doesn't look at the moment as the new and refactored new features are connected in the way that brings more strategic choices in to the game.

For example, eureka moments - this is not strategic feature on it's own. It is simply a choice to progress certain science branches, which then has a potential to contribute to the overall strategic choices or not.

By strategic choices I mean - what is the strategy of the world domination for your country, is it industrial, cultural power house, military conquest oriented state, financial world power? How your world domination strategy can bring you to winning the game by meeting the victory condition(s)?

Main strategic features of the game should contribute to help player in constantly developing their countries along selected path. At the moment, I start getting feel like in CiV, when lots of features are just there and their strategic value in many cases is extremely limited.

5. eyememine

eyememine Chieftain

Apparantly my Civ-career differs from most people. Started with Civ 1, played a bit Civ II, then switched to Call to powers II, loved Civ III a lot, hated Civ IV with a vengeance (and still do) and finally played Civ V for hours and hours and hours.
    Until the beginning of this year when eventually I felt some kind of boredom. The happier I was when short after they announced Civ VI.
    Now I am waiting impatiently, hoping that Civ VI gives me back my joy. And yes, I am quite hopefull. It all looks good, apart from some minor things I don't like.

6. rastak

rastak Emperor

Very similar to me actually. I didn't hate IV but it wasn't my favorite. Played alot of III.

Still nothing like the thrill of I back in the day!

7. mzprox

mzprox Prince

I played a lot with each civ, except with civ2.. i don't know why.. I played alpha centaury instead.
    anyway: when I got civ4 I was activelly playing civ3, however after the first game i uninstalled civ3 and never looked back. civ4 was and is my kind of game.
    When I got civ5 I tried it then uninstalled and continued to play civ4. Years later I gave abn other chance to civ5 and enjoyed it at last.
    About civ6: I like what I see, very much actually, can't wait to try it.

8. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

I fear that modern era will be given very little importance again, I also fear AI modern naval warfare will be given zero improvement once again, I fear modern era in general has been given a very low consideration compared to ancient and medieval ones.

I fear science has been totally overwhelmed by culture, religion and economic new trend.

Other than these issues, I will look at civ vi with curiosity and willingness to play it.

Civ I was imo the best one !

9. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

Hey guys, I wanted to revisit this thread once again. With Civ 6 a weeks away from release, veterans of civ, do you like what your seeing?

I'm undecided on buying the game around launch as of right now. I'm probably going to wait a bit and see what the consensus is. I'm not that excited about the release because everything just seems so familiar and I've been playing civ the past 20 years. Not saying it won't be a great game, but it still feels like civ 5 from the letsplay videos(and hopefully a much better one!)

10. Cyberian

Cyberian Warlord

I have played every Civ since I started with 1 in the early nineties and I really like the changes. Sure it feels familiar but we wouldn't want Civ to stop being Civ right? I usually don't preorder games anymore because of past failures but CXiv made me change that with their release policy giving the game to streamers and being very confident in general about their game. Will there be issues for example with multiplayer and AI? Sure but it seems this title is worth it where it was easy to suspect Beyond Earth to be mixed (and I did not buy it because of the early impression that got confirmed later)

The M, narmox and wiggawuu like this.
  11. treadwin

treadwin Warlord

Civ1 player here and every Civ since then. I haven't met a Civ game I didn't like.

Civ6 looks like a step up from Civ5, and I'm really looking forward to sucking at this game, as much as I sucked at all the others.

Toastypie and omniplex like this.
  12. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Prince

Been here since the beginning. Have the fuzziest memories of 3, however.
    This does look like a definite step up from 5, but they're cutting a lot of the same corners they always do (ai difficulty = giant bonuses rather than well crafted priorities list0) , and there a couple UI and hotkey issues that they seem completely oblivious about (wait, unit autocycle, game setup). Some of the latter are especially galling since they were in civ games before.

Mostly the biggest problem for the game at the moment is their presentation of it. The various youtubers show it off more competently (and highlight what is good about the game) far better than their spokesteam.

13. FooTooAy

FooTooAy Chieftain

My thoughts are... you should learn how to spell "old timers."

14. rastak

rastak Emperor

And get off my lawn......

15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I too am one of those around since Civ 1 day 1 and everything since. Probably best memories are the eerie sounds & music in SMAC. Game itself was fun too. Am ready to retire Civ V off my HD, with some 2400 hours or so on it. Time for a change. BE was kind of meh, though it held promise, probably never will be upgraded further though. VI looks very promising. At the same time it has so much content in it already, I wonder what else they can squeeze into it in expansions. DLC's with nations and leaders, sure, but actual new content? The late game map looks busy enough. We'll have to wait and see. I really want Civ VI to have some staying power and modding has a lot to do with whether it will or not. That and how well it balances out and perhaps some AI tweaks because it looks like a few could be in order. I saw the suggestion one person made to have Civ evolve to a map of hexagons dispersed across a globe. That could be something to see if it could be implemented in Civ in the future.

16. fresca

fresca Chieftain

Same here - I have been a Sid Meier fan since Railroad Tycoon (will someone PLEASE revive this series? Or just port it to mobile? Please???). Civ 1 was around at an especially difficult time in my life, and I am so grateful that I was able to lose hours in that game. It kept me sane. I have put many, many hours into each game in the series, plus SMAC and the Call To Power games. I also play poorly, but I have lots of fun. These are my people :)

Anyway, I am really, really looking forward to 6. Even if I only put in a tenth of the time I've spent with 5 (1421 hours, says Steam) into 6, I will be happy with my purchase.

17. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

My thoughts so far:

I like the potential of the religious units but wish it'd be presented as a preaching/debating/agitating scene than "religious combat". After a couple of expansions to add televangelism to the religious armoury and atheists and agnostics to the population, I'm sure it'll be great.

I like the potential of trade units building roads. After a couple of expansions add railroads, I'm sure it'll be great.

I don't like the fact that in half the random standard size games I play with random opponents, indigenous American or African leaders will be completely absent. After a couple of expansions add diversity, I'm sure it'll be great.

I like the fact that it's being built to be modable. I hope the Mac version will support this.

18. Dogmouse

Dogmouse Chieftain

Civ III has always been my fav, but from what I've watched in the YT vids, I am very much awaiting this release. I think the new visual treatments are beautiful, but I know all too well that at the end of the day, playing only as a single player, it will come down to AI.

19. pochesun

pochesun Chieftain

Been playing CIV series since the inception. I dont remember i ever been so excited about the release of the new build. Long story short - very excited :)

wiggawuu likes this.
  20. Old Ironsides

Old Ironsides Chieftain

Been playing CIV from the start, I'm pumped for this bring it on!