• 97 - 99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 or older!

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
What's the oldest general you've had in an unmodded TW game?

I'm in a RTW campaign, and my faction leader has reached the ripe age of 90! :old: It's 190 BC, so he's been around the whole game. The past 40 years or so he's been chilling in Arretium and every so often commissioning a great building.

He did have one close call when he was in his 30s, governing a backwater province. Macedon sneak-attacked him and he got stuck in an unable-to-retreat battle. But he fled after everyone else died, and escaped a couple turns later on a boat back to Italy!

He didn't get any Senatorial office until he was about 80, but he's still had most of them at one point or another. Stats are about 0/5/8, depending on Senatorial office. He's a drunken lout who excels at architecture, mining, and espionage. His heir is a drunkard and his other son is an unhinged loon. Sadly, the more reputable branches of the faction all died out :sad:.

I think the second-oldest I've had is in the 70's, and I've seen an AI character in the lower 80's. Hopefully this guy makes it to 100!

I voted 100+ because there is no "I don't remember" option.

I should have remembered that this is CFC, so there's a need for either an "I just like voting in polls" option, or a "radioactive monkey" option. But I didn't, figuring not voting would cover cases where someone wasn't sure :(.

Although I'm glad you did claim one of the 100+ votes. I'm curious if the other one so far actually had a 100+ year old generally or also didn't remember.

My faction leader died at the ripe old age of 92. Shortly thereafter rebels put my capital under siege, underscoring just how much authority was lost with him.

I had some ripe old fogies in the original MTW. Guys who lived up into their 90s. I recently had a M2TW faction leader (a Byzantine Emperor, actually) who lived into his mid-80s, which is very old for that game. Curiously, he didn't start getting the "old" attributes until his 70s, he was healthy and battle-ready through retirement age, though he rarely participated in battles (he was governor of Adrianople for most of his life, carrying it up to a Citadel!)

Any time I have a general survive past 70 years or so in Rome TW, they seem to become a drunkard, a raging berserker, or a paranoid and deranged loon. I guess Roman politics weren't conducive to long-term mental health.

Is it just me, or are successive generations in that game nearly always worse? By the time I get to the fourth generation of generals and governors, most of the faction nobles are essentially worthless. Often I actually avoid stationing a general in a city or with an army so I won't suffer the various negative effects I get from him.

At least when I'm around, not participating in battle helps a lot with surviving to a ripe old age. My leader croaked at the age of 92 in 188 BC. Other than the unplanned combat with Macedon, he never fought in any battles.

I haven't been experiencing successively worse generations, though. There was a rough patch with the third generation. But by now the fourth through sixth generations are ruling (with the unhinged loon from the third still hanging in there), and nearly all of them are halfway decent at something - worth having govern, at least. I have been building academies everywhere they govern, sometimes scriptoriums, which I suspect helps. I've also noticed that sometimes the son of a drunkard is a teetotaler, which helps. On the other hand, none of them are 70+ right now, either (the loon is close).

I had one get to 106(?) so... yeah.

My oldest general was one of the second generation Julii brothers in my first ever RTW campaign victory. He was born in 299 BC and fought the Gauls in Northern Italy with his father (the original faction leader). He governed Patavium for over a decade, before departing to finish off the Greek Cities in the siege of Sparta. He governed Sparta for a while, and became a "temporary" faction leader in his 60s after his brother's death as I thought he wouldn't live very long. But he just wouldn't die, he was involved in the capture of Crete and defending Sparta against Macedon in the series of wars in the 230s and 220s. He saw the Marian reforms in his 70s, and the Roman Civil War began in his 80s. By his death in 207 BC at 92 he controlled Rome and most Scipii resistance had been defeated. He outlived a faction heir and was one of the last characters who had been alive in 270 BC.

My second oldest was a Celtic General in BI. He started the game at 65 and I didn't expect him to last very long. However, he lived to be 88 and drove the Romans out of Britain, defeated the Romano-British insurgency, defended against a Saxon invasion, and invaded the Continent. He died peacefully while besieging a Roman city in France.

Top Bottom