On why math appears to be non-cosmic (a post of mine from lesswrong)

Kyriakos

Creator
I thought there would be no harm posting this here too... I kept the full post, cause why not? :)
We have discussed this here (at CFC) in the past as well; maybe there can be a new discussion?

Preface

I do fear that perhaps this post of mine (my fourth here) may cause a few negative reactions. I do try to approach this from a philosophical viewpoint, as befits my studies. It goes without saying that I may be wrong, and would very much like to read your views and even more so any reasons that my own position may be identified as untenable. I can only assure you that to me it currently seems that mathematics are not cosmic but anthropic.

There are so many quotes about mathematics, from celebrated mathematicians, philosophers, even artists; some are witty yet too polemical to identify as useful in a treatise that aspires to discuss whether math is merely anthropic or cosmic, and others are perhaps too focused on the order itself and thus come across a bit like the expected fawning of an admirer to his or her muse.

Yet the question regarding math being only a human concept, or something which is actually cosmic, is an important one, and it does deserve honest examination. I will try to present a few of my own thoughts on this subject, hoping that they may be of use – even if their use is simply to allow for fruitful reflection and possible dismissal.

It is evident that mathematics have value. It is also evident that they allow for technological development. They do serve as a foundation for scientific orders that rest on experiment and thus are invaluable. However we should also consider what the primary difference between math as an order and scientific orders (physics, chemistry etc) easily let’s us know about math itself:

Primarily math differs from science in that it secures that its results are valid not from experiment, data and observation, but axiom-based proof. The use of proof in math is often attributed to the first Greek mathematicians, and specifically to either the first Philosopher, Thales of Miletus, or his students, Anaximander and Pythagoras. Euclid argued that the first Theorem that math presents is the one by Thales, which has to do with analogies between parts of 2D forms (eg triangles) inscribed in a circle. The idea of a proof proceeding from axioms, of a Theorem, is fundamental in mathematics – and it also is a crucial difference between math and orders such as physics. Fields of science that have to do with observing (and interacting with) the external world do significantly differ from a field (math) which only requires reflecting on axiomatic systems.

Given the above is true, it does follow that a human is far more connected to math than to any study of external objects: they are tied to math without even trying to be tied to it, given math exists as a mental creation and not one which requires the senses to intervene.

But what does “being more connected” mean, in this context? Is math actually intertwined with human thought of all kinds? Obviously we do not innately know about basic “realities” of the external world, such as weight and impact; the risk of a free-fall is something that an infant has to first accept as a reality without grasping why it is so. On the contrary we do, by necessity, already have fundamental awareness of the (arguably) most basic notion in all of mathematics: the notion of the monad.

The monad is the idea of “one”. That anything distinct is a “one”, regardless of whether we mean to include it in a larger group or divide it to constituent parts: each of those larger groups are also “one”, and the same is true for any divisions. “Oneness”, therefore, as the pre-socratics already argued (and Plato examined in hundreds of pages) is arguably one of the most characteristic human notions, and a notion which is generally inescapable and ubiquitous. “One” is also the first digit and the meter of the set of natural numbers (1,2,3,4…), and this is because the human mind fundamentally identifies differences as distinct, even when the difference may become (in advanced math) extremely complicated and of peculiar types. Yet the humble set of natural numbers also gives us an interesting sequence when altered a bit: the so-called Fibonacci sequence, which I think is a good example to use so as to show why I think that math are only human and not cosmic.

The Fibonacci sequence progresses in a very specific way: each part is formed by adding the two previous parts. The sequence begins with 1 (or 0 and 1), so the first parts of it are (0), 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8,13. The entire sequence diverges from both sides (alternating between the next part presenting a numerical difference just smaller or just larger) to the golden ratio, and forms a pretty spiral form (wiki image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number#/media/File:FibonacciSpiral.svg). Yet for me it is of more interest that humans do happen to observe a good approximation of this specific, mathematical spiral, on some external objects; namely the shells of a few small animals.

It is pretty clear that the shell of some external being is not itself aware of mathematics. One could argue, of course, that “nature” itself is filled with mathematics, and thus in some way a few external forms happen to approximate a specific spiral, and the tie to the golden ratio etc is only to be expected given nature (and by extension, perhaps, the Cosmos itself) is mathematical. Certainly this can appear to provide an answer; or to be precise it would at least present a cause for this appearance of mathematics and of a specific spiral in the external world. Is it really a good answer, though? In other words, do we observe the Fibonacci or golden ratio spiral approximation on the external world because the external world itself is tied to math, or do we do so because we are tied to math in an even deeper way than we realize and could only project what we have inside of our mental world onto anything external?

My view is that humans are so bound to math (regardless of how knowledgeable one is in mathematics) that we cannot but view the world mathematically. Rockets are built, using math, and by them we can even leave the orbit of our planet – yet consider whether what allowed us to realize how to achieve so impressive a result was not math alone, but math as a kind of very anthropic cane or leg by which we slowly learned to move about:

In essence I do think that due to the human species being so obstructed from developing far more advanced mathematics (to put it another way: due to how difficult advancing math can be even for the best mathematicians) we tend to not identify that math itself is not the cause of development, not the cause of movement and progression, but a leg - the only leg - we have to familiarize ourselves with because we aspire to move on this plane. Imagine a dog which wanted to move from A to B, but couldn’t use its legs. At some point it manages to move one of them, and then enough so as to finally get to B. It is undoubtedly a major achievement for the dog. But the dog shouldn’t proceed to claim that the dirt between A and B is made of moving legs – let alone that it is the case for the entire Cosmos.

I only meant to briefly present my thoughts on this subject, and wish to specify (what very likely is already clear to more mathematically-oriented readers of this post) that my personal knowledge of mathematics is quite basic. I approach the subject from a philosophical and epistemological viewpoint, which is more fitting to my own University studies (Philosophy).

Last edited:
Given the above is true, it does follow that a human is far more connected to math than to any study of external objects: they are tied to math without even trying to be tied to it, given math exists as a mental creation and not one which requires the senses to intervene.
[....]
Is it really a good answer, though? In other words, do we observe the Fibonacci or golden ratio spiral approximation on the external world because the external world itself is tied to math, or do we do so because we are tied to math in an even deeper way than we realize and could only project what we have inside of our mental world onto anything external?
I do see what you mean.

Most of Mathematics is just our standardized way of talking about all the things that happen around us everyday without any effort on our part.

Most of Mathematics is just our standardized way of talking about all the things that happen around us everyday without any effort on our part.

This isn't what I wrote, though :) Although the fundamental parts (eg having to use positive integers as a basis) is indeed that.

@Berzerker : to be brief, I think that math is our own code (or rather part of the code of the deeper human mental machinery) and we can only use the code we have to examine stuff which aren't part of it, like the external world. It follows - if this is so - that nothing external actually has relations to math, but we can create things (including space-going rockets) because we translate anything external in a human way so our translations work for us. The external world/cosmos/universe etc is - in my view - not really tied to what we sense or experience of it at all.
Another possibility is that it is infinitesimally tied, in which case our own human translation of it is one of many.
Imho it is likely it isn't tied at all, but it doesn't matter cause we deal with our translation and projection and literally live inside of it.

I'm not sure I get why you think math is different from any other question of ontology. It seems like your idea of math as a human code is like Kant's categories and so it's some kind of idealism. Is this a math-specific idealism? Are colors non-cosmic things that are part of our internal code?

I'm not sure I get why you think math is different from any other question of ontology. It seems like your idea of math as a human code is like Kant's categories and so it's some kind of idealism. Is this a math-specific idealism? Are colors non-cosmic things that are part of our internal code?

Math plays a more central role, is all. I am certainly not claiming that non math human abilities are tied to the actual cosmos.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...lar-waves-exist-in-nature.521968/post-3454754

Here's an exaggerated example of us superimposing a math concept onto the world in front us. The OP asks if standard synthesizer waveforms exist in nature. Obviously any such thing would an abstraction, but it would be cool if such a thing exists. Then the person I link to above refers to grass growing at a regular interval and cut to the same length as a regular interval as such an example of that waveform existing in the real world. He's clearly being tongue-in-cheek, but nevertheless, I found it to be an amusing backward example of finding mathematical patterns where they are an inappropriate frame.

This isn't what I wrote, though :) Although the fundamental parts (eg having to use positive integers as a basis) is indeed that.

@Berzerker : to be brief, I think that math is our own code (or rather part of the code of the deeper human mental machinery) and we can only use the code we have to examine stuff which aren't part of it, like the external world. It follows - if this is so - that nothing external actually has relations to math, but we can create things (including space-going rockets) because we translate anything external in a human way so our translations work for us. The external world/cosmos/universe etc is - in my view - not really tied to what we sense or experience of it at all.
Another possibility is that it is infinitesimally tied, in which case our own human translation of it is one of many.
Imho it is likely it isn't tied at all, but it doesn't matter cause we deal with our translation and projection and literally live inside of it.

Seems like you and Lee Smolin are thinking about similar ideas about the universe, including Leibniz's monads
and his "identity of indiscernibles"!
This article and interview with Smolin was published a few days ago.

How to Understand the Universe When You’re Stuck Inside of It
https://www.quantamagazine.org/were...-an-idea-for-how-to-study-it-anyway-20190627/

Seems like you and Lee Smolin are thinking about similar ideas about the universe, including Leibniz's monads
and his "identity of indiscernibles"!
This article and interview with Smolin was published a few days ago.

How to Understand the Universe When You’re Stuck Inside of It
https://www.quantamagazine.org/were...-an-idea-for-how-to-study-it-anyway-20190627/

I am not sure. At least I am not seeing much of that in the article you linked :) He seems to argue in favour of a hypothesis where (if I understood correctly) :
a) there exists an actual reality (ie independent of observers)
b) that reality has stable relations when calculated in traits of very tiny/infinitesimal parts, like molecules (he also hypothesizes that somehow the wave/uncertainty of state is actually not due to a probability of state for one molecule but the instant grouping of all/similar particles in the universe at that time)
b) there is no exterior of the universe/cosmos

Well, first of all he is a physicist, I am approaching this only philosophically. The idea of "thing-in-itself" is literally ancient philosophy. I don't think that "actual reality" makes sense without an observer, and even if it does make sense (it is not impossible, I just think it is unlikely) we have no way of knowing it.
Secondly, I am interested in the "universe with nothing external to it" idea, but it seems he only uses it for practical reason, because he is trying to map a closed system without having it rest on some axiomatic periphery. It is - I gather from the article - why he came up with the hypothesis that each infinitesimal point/matter may be a reference point for all "similar" bits in the closed system, or even gather them all and thus depict their different "views" on the closed system. This by itself doesn't say anything about the closed system actually being closed or not - it is only about defining goings-on in the system without using a periphery/something external where it rests.
Lastly - and most importantly of all - I always, since I first took physics in the second year of secondary education, HATED that field. :) Since mid elementary my dream was to be an important mathematician. Sadly that died roughly 6 years later, due to a number of reasons.

That was an interesting read. Here are some quotes which contradict your thesis:

“The miracle of the appropriateness of the language of mathematics for the formulation of the laws of physics is a wonderful gift which we neither understand nor deserve. We should be grateful for it and hope that it will remain valid in future research and that it will extend, for better or for worse, to our pleasure, even though perhaps also to our bafflement, to wide branches of learning.” — Dr E Wigner

A useful heuristic for determining metacognition is to ask: Does this organism merely create tools? Or does it create tools to create new tools?“ — Dr D Sochua

"Mathematical proof is the only foundation for ethics that I can respect. Progress in mathematics is progress in morality." — Dr D Sochua

That was an interesting read. Here are some quotes which contradict your thesis:

“The miracle of the appropriateness of the language of mathematics for the formulation of the laws of physics is a wonderful gift which we neither understand nor deserve. We should be grateful for it and hope that it will remain valid in future research and that it will extend, for better or for worse, to our pleasure, even though perhaps also to our bafflement, to wide branches of learning.” — Dr E Wigner

A useful heuristic for determining metacognition is to ask: Does this organism merely create tools? Or does it create tools to create new tools?“ — Dr D Sochua

"Mathematical proof is the only foundation for ethics that I can respect. Progress in mathematics is progress in morality." — Dr D Sochua

Ok, but how do the above contradict the OP? (assuming that is what you refer to as my "thesis").
If math is only human inner-mental code (or part of it) then by definition you cannot find something external by advancing something internal.
Obviously this isn't only about math either. Even the very notion of "external" is an internal tool we have to refer to something external by bringing in our mind something internal. Yet the external does exist in the way that you aren't the world but just one being in it - at the same time it isn't identifiable as itself, but through your particular impression (itself vague at best).

I’m going to go cosmic but with the Smolin article in the mix and the comment about whether reality without an observer makes sense this will get murky.

My feelings is that it is cosmic. Math exists without us and would exist even in a universe with an observer. It would lack an observer to describe the mathematics but nonetheless the reality of the mathematics still exists.

Thus just because no one can describe the mathematical nature of a galaxy going around a series of other galaxies outside of our light cone doesn’t mean that it isn’t mathematically describable.

I’m going to go cosmic but with the Smolin article in the mix and the comment about whether reality without an observer makes sense this will get murky.

My feelings is that it is cosmic. Math exists without us and would exist even in a universe with an observer. It would lack an observer to describe the mathematics but nonetheless the reality of the mathematics still exists.

Thus just because no one can describe the mathematical nature of a galaxy going around a series of other galaxies outside of our light cone doesn’t mean that it isn’t mathematically describable.

Even if math somehow is cosmic, we still would have no way of verifying it. If you only see 0 and 1s you can't actually know if the other side is using non binary too: maybe it is using some bizarre numbering system but you still would be seeing parts that are translatable to yours, cause by definition any observer has to observe something. Furthermore, the issue here isn't of "using" something, but of that something being inherently tied to the external object, ie without the observer having to project it there. I don't see how such can be likely: math seems tied to (in this sense: rising from, as an interface/similar) organic matter of some forms, eg our dna or how that forms our mental world, but why should it be tied to non-living or sentient material?

The more radical things we do with math, predictively and consistently, the more fantastic the coincidence it will be if this math is just another evolutionary accident helping us replicate in our niche.

The more radical things we do with math, predictively and consistently, the more fantastic the coincidence it will be if this math is just another evolutionary accident helping us replicate in our niche.

I don't think that is true, though. In a way that is like claiming it is amazing that you can use feet not just to walk but to have an extremely complicated choreography work :)
We don't move in the world itself, but in the translation of the world we have, so it makes perfect sense to advance there, cause it is already tied to us.

I don't think that is true, though. In a way that is like claiming it is amazing that you can use feet not just to walk but to have an extremely complicated choreography work :)
We don't move in the world itself, but in the translation of the world we have, so it makes perfect sense to advance there, cause it is already tied to us.
I get what you mean. But it appears convincing. It would be like, if our extremely complicated walking choreography got dimensionally more complicated across numerous axes. But perhaps that complication too is limited on a simple enough (or small enough) plane compared to what actually could be... I guess we're still just the radioactive tendrils of earth's crust, or, the imagination of it.

I remember watching fractal patterns with a friend one morning for hours. They got wilder and wilder, but they never actually escaped the video we were watching them in ;)

Maths seems profound and powerful, but really, there's not much profundity in the notion that one thing and one other thing makes two things.

Top Bottom