• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

One thing that I hope they get right this time...

Thorburne

Centurion
So far, I am loving most of what I am seeing and anxiously waiting for information on aspects that remain a mystery. One thing that I am definitely going that they include is stats and plenty of information. I don't want to have to download a mod that gives me details like in Civ V (infoaddict... Great mod... But shouldn't have been necessary).

I will say that it is promising that there appears to be a lot of info that you CAN view... Particularly with diplomacy. If they tie it to espionage, that will even be fine with me. It would give espionage more usefulness and make sense. Of course, I loved being able to see different stats like in Civ IV that showed number of kills, etc. It may not be important to all, but something that I enjoy.

On a related note... One thing that they absolutely must have (where they really dropped the ball in vanilla Civ V) is the ending. Just a flash screen will not do. I want a reward for my hard work, not a "thanks for playing" page. Full history outline, 32nd game stats, and maybe a special movie or something for each victory condition. Of they did that for each Civ per VC, that would be outstanding... But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Just something to stand out each VC would suffice.

Thoughts???

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

So far, I am loving most of what I am seeing and anxiously waiting for information on aspects that remain a mystery. One thing that I am definitely going that they include is stats and plenty of information. I don't want to have to download a mod that gives me details like in Civ V (infoaddict... Great mod... But shouldn't have been necessary).

I will say that it is promising that there appears to be a lot of info that you CAN view... Particularly with diplomacy. If they tie it to espionage, that will even be fine with me. It would give espionage more usefulness and make sense. Of course, I loved being able to see different stats like in Civ IV that showed number of kills, etc. It may not be important to all, but something that I enjoy.

On a related note... One thing that they absolutely must have (where they really dropped the ball in vanilla Civ V) is the ending. Just a flash screen will not do. I want a reward for my hard work, not a "thanks for playing" page. Full history outline, 32nd game stats, and maybe a special movie or something for each victory condition. Of they did that for each Civ per VC, that would be outstanding... But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Just something to stand out each VC would suffice.

Thoughts???

I would hope there isn't information available that you have absolutely no way of knowing ala info addict. I admit it's cool to be able to see this information but it makes for a better game if you only know "what you know" and not some chart showing exact numbers for everyone.

I would hope there isn't information available that you have absolutely no way of knowing ala info addict. I admit it's cool to be able to see this information but it makes for a better game if you only know "what you know" and not some chart showing exact numbers for everyone.
Yeah... Our they tied it to espionage, that would be great. Though you should be able to see full stats on your own civ. Maybe tie those to techs and civics so that say "number of aircraft deployed" won't be available until you've discovered Flight.

I agree mostly especially regarding linking that to a spy action. Like sending 3/4 spies to assess military units of a civ for example

Never played with info addict but from what I've heard about it I'd be pretty wary of having that much in. I prefer information to be more relativistic when dealing with other civs, as instead of "Victoria has 6 ships of the line" it says "Victoria has a larger navy that you". It really shouldn't be until satellites are up that you get anything close to exact data on other civs.

I'm fully with you OP on victory screen though. Just give me a video.

While Info addict is useful I agree that having all the information avaliable does break the immersion, I have the same issue with EU4 for example, where you can know the exact numers of soldiers, composition, and manpower of every nation.

The diplo screen in civ6 looks like it will provide additional info, and I wouldn't mind gettting exact numbers on another civ as long as you've invested on intel and spies.

Yeah... Our they tied it to espionage, that would be great. Though you should be able to see full stats on your own civ. Maybe tie those to techs and civics so that say "number of aircraft deployed" won't be available until you've discovered Flight.

I really like this idea. I was thinking the game should have all the regular demographics info, but, that info would only update when you have a spy successfully perform an "intel" operation in rival Civ territory. Maybe, to make the mechanic a little more interesting and worthwhile, that operation would also reveal the location of all that Civs units on the map for that one turn. ?

Civ IV already did the video thing and had more detailed information. I agree that you have to be careful with too much info but the videos were nice.

The victory info doesn't have to be locked up... All info should be available there. But throughout the game, limited info that increases due to advancement and espionage would be more immersive.

They should have Conleth Hill do the voice acting for the espionage (intelligence/foreign) advisor...

"What are the little birds reporting today?"

I agree a nice end of game reward maybe video + stats, a nice score end screen, and some special icons for Hall of Fame or something ^_^ and a replay that you can access through hall of fame :p would be nice

Victory videos would be very nice this time around. I always feel like I've "earned" one. It may be a bit greedy to ask for, but I'd especially like different videos for different victory types.

If I lose, then you can slap me with a "thanks for playing" page. I'd would have "earned" that as well. :)

Yes, I really hope victory videos are back. Whether unique to each Civ or each Victory type (or both? ha I ask too much).

I remember the ending to my first Civ V game felt rather shallow as you're given a popup with a quote that is shorter than most of the Tech quotes. I mean winning a 10 hour game should feel more important than discovering Pottery shouldn't it?

Yes, I really hope victory videos are back. Whether unique to each Civ or each Victory type (or both? ha I ask too much).

I remember the ending to my first Civ V game felt rather shallow as you're given a popup with a quote that is shorter than most of the Tech quotes. I mean winning a 10 hour game should feel more important than discovering Pottery shouldn't it?
Absolutely my point. The ending is very important and must make the player feel like it was worth the journey. Game design 101.

I think it might be a waste of time, after 2500+ hours of CIV V, I haven't seen the lose/win popup more than a handful of times. The ratio of games played vs games played until win/lose isn't even in the same mathematical system.

I think it might be a waste of time, after 2500+ hours of CIV V, I haven't seen the lose/win popup more than a handful of times. The ratio of games played vs games played until win/lose isn't even in the same mathematical system.

Some of us don't abandon games too often. I never restart either.

I do the best I can with what's given.

Problem for me usually is that I'm so far ahead that waiting to achieve that science/culture/diplo victory I've been working towards gets boring and I'd rather start fresh with a new challenge than continue playing a game I feel I've already technically won

Do you seriously suggest counting a first turn restart as game played?

Most of my games has 1000+ turns in them, but even if your one of those *shudder* quick players, you reach a point well before the finish where you have won the game. If it was chess against a remotely intelligent opponent he would concede defeat.

CIV is against AI's that will just keep on going, no matter how badly they have lost already, being a human being and not a robot, I just can't keep on and on and on and on and on..

Most of my games has 1000+ turns in them, but even if your one of those *shudder* quick players, you reach a point well before the finish where you have won the game. If it was chess against a remotely intelligent opponent he would concede defeat.

CIV is against AI's that will just keep on going, no matter how badly they have lost already, being a human being and not a robot, I just can't keep on and on and on and on and on..

Quick player here to corroborate :goodjob:

P.S. BOO! Sometimes when I finish a game within 3 hours I lurk outside marathon players Windows and perform rituals to slow down processing time

What? Where did I say that (see bold statement)? Hey, quit all you want. I'm not being critical. I don't min/max all the time, this is entertainment for me. I'll try for certain wins when it might be difficult and much easier to simply attack attack attack. If you think the end is a slog, by all means quit. I'll admit it certainly is sometimes a slog.

What? Where did I say that (see bold statement)? Hey, quit all you want. I'm not being critical. I don't min/max all the time, this is entertainment for me. I'll try for certain wins when it might be difficult and much easier to simply attack attack attack. If you think the end is a slog, by all means quit. I'll admit it certainly is sometimes a slog.
One of my problems with Civ V is the fact that too often, the top 3 civs are often determined by the Middle ages of not earlier and the winter shortly thereafter. I'm hoping with many of the changes that have been implemented, Civ VI will be less linear.

Of course random events would help to shake things up, but to many people have seizures in these boards whenever that is suggested.

Top Bottom