ONESI: Upon the Fallen

It'll be a little while. Still settling into a new city, job, stuff like that. Apologies.

Orks choice or the CFC transition made them smaller. At any rate as a participant I just save a copy of the map file and can zoom in and out as I want, so its no problem for me.

I am still alive. Ostensibly. It's hard to tell sometimes :p

Last few months have been rough, and I probably won't be able to breathe for a few more weeks or (worst case) December.

With that said:

This isn't dead. I'm excited to continue work on it, and I more or less know what's going to happen in the update. I just need to put that to text.

Also, re: small maps:

The maps themselves are rather small to begin with. The pixel-text is ~5 pixels tall, tops. So they are quite small graphics. Also, I do need to go back through and check/fix formatting for the new forum. But I figure people would appreciate update work a little more at this point.

I am still alive. Ostensibly. It's hard to tell sometimes :p

Last few months have been rough, and I probably won't be able to breathe for a few more weeks or (worst case) December.

With that said:

This isn't dead. I'm excited to continue work on it, and I more or less know what's going to happen in the update. I just need to put that to text.

Also, re: small maps:

The maps themselves are rather small to begin with. The pixel-text is ~5 pixels tall, tops. So they are quite small graphics. Also, I do need to go back through and check/fix formatting for the new forum. But I figure people would appreciate update work a little more at this point.

Thanks so much for the heads up ork, and for also soldiering on! It can defs be hard, ugh Ive been working on my thesis draft before it goes off for review, and it's really getting to me smh.

In either case, looking forward to the next update. Thanks again.

The Tale of Katsotsié, Part One

There has been since the early times a disagreement between two gods: Ké, the Ox, who is bound by three chains of sunlight, moonlight, and starlight to continually pull the Wheel upon its axis, and Rizuké the Defier, who since his ascension always strove to walk along the top of the Wheel in the opposite direction to that in which Ké turned it. For one thousand and six years, this opposition continued, with both too stubborn to back down, Ké unwilling to slow or stop his turning, and Rizuké unwilling to stop walking in the opposite direction. One day, Jikeji returned from meddling with the affairs of the rizu, in which he tested them in ways not to show their boldness but their cunning, and to make fools of those who could not see flexibility (for it is known that to exist in rizuri one must have flexibility in all things that are not codified into atjinu.) But the tale of Jikeji manipulating the atjinu to make fools of the rizu who did not possess flexibility is for another time.

Jikeji approached the Wheel as it spun the universe upon its axis, and he laughed at the unending conflict that was occurring between Ké and Rizuké there. "How boring you are, compared to the deeds of the mortals!" said Jikeji, flourishing his long red tail. "Truly it can be said that gods do not change, while mortals are constantly in chaos! Although they repeat the patterns of their forefathers, they at least have young eyes to see, and sometimes to try that which even the gods have not dreamt of."

"I disagree, Jikeji!" said Rizuké, who laughed even as his long legs carried his boundless stride up the curve of the Wheel, against its turning. For it was only his heroic enthusiasm that prevented him from falling, and being carried in the direction in which Ké the Ox wished for him and all things to be carried. "Whether it be on Earth or the abode of the gods, you never cease to create new ways to mock those who you find foolish. You are a god, yet you are always changing your ways."

"I disagree, Jikeji," grumbled Ké the Ox, tossing his head to the side in disdain as his great hooves strained to pull the universe in its unending rotation. "It is true that you do not change. You are always up to the same games and tricks. But the mortals do not change either. Each generation is the same as the last with little difference. There are fools and heroes, bandits and scholars, but the same roles are always played, and the story does not change."

Jikeji laughed, for the two were as similar in their differences as they were different in their natures. (And this, of course, is the paradox which has lent salt to the universe since the gods saw fit to make it.)

"I propose that we make a wager!" exclaimed Jikeji to the two gods. "I will reward the one who is right, in such a way that delights the winner. If you, Rizuké the Defier, prove that gods and men alike can change their ways, I shall run atop the Wheel in your place for a day and a night, so that you might spend that night with your beloved Tsenu-||. And Ké the Mighty, if Rizuké fails to prove to your satisfaction that gods and men alike can change their ways, I will take your place and pull the Wheel for you for a day and a night, so that you might drink of the waters of the Five Rivers and graze upon the grass of Nemori which you love so greatly."

The two gods looked at each other, and agreed that this wager was fair, that Rizuké would be burdened to prove to Ké's satisfaction that both gods and men were capable of true change. "And what do you gain from this, Jikeji?" asked Rizuké. "For whoever wins, you will be put to your least favorite task: Honest labor." Jikeji laughed in response, and said, "While this is true, it will hardly be labor at all to see the discomfort of the loser! Besides this, I am curious to see who will win."

This satisfied the gods, and the wager was agreed upon.

And so it was that Rizuké breathed his genius down into one such as himself, Katsotsié, who was at that time a young boy, taken in chains as a slave by the Oéichi after those tribes raided the land where Utsuni the Young flows from the mountains as a shining torrent of highland snowmelt, and the green farms are terraced into the cliffs to draw from the river goddess' abundance in her bright youth. It is known that all this occurred in the one hundred and eighty sixth year after the conclusion of the Vetarali, when the city of Ve-||, which claimed patrimony over the village in which Katsotsié was born by atjinu laid down by Ve-|| herself, was led by the rizu alliance in which the cousins Ketsura-|| and Seki were most prominent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom