OP01 - Who wants to be a Malionaire?

omni_paul

Mr. Shambles
Background:

I've recently been playing a lot of MP games as Mansa Musa of Mali and grew curious about this African leader about whom I knew nothing. Wikipedia came to my aid, as it often does:

Mansa Musa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mansa Kankan Musa I or Mansa Musa or The Lion of Mali was a 14th century king of the Mali Empire. He is remembered for his fabled hajj and as a benefactor of Islamic scholarship.

Mansa Musa was the grandson of the founder of the Mali's Empire, Sundiata Keita, and ruled over Mali while it was the source of almost half the world's gold. Musa was a devoted Muslim and Islamic scholarship flourished under his rule. With Musa as a benefactor, Sankore University in Timbuktu reached its height. Craftsmen and especially Islamic scholars came from all over the Muslim world to receive a free education at Sankore's guilds and madrasas.

When he passed through Cairo in 1324, he gave out so much gold that it took 12 years for the economy to recover, due to the rapid inflation that it initiated. The Arab historian al-Umari records that Musa was so generous that he ran out of money and had to take out a loan to be able to afford the journey home. Musa's hajj, and especially his gold, caught the attention of both the Islamic and Christian worlds.

The Variant:

In this game we will take control of Mansa Musa of the Malinese. Preferably on an Earth map if a reasonable one can be found, otherwise a continents map will suffice. I want to keep the rules as non-restrictive as possible, more what we will attempt is a roleplay style variant as follows:

• Our starting position MUST contain at least one gold resource. This will, naturally, be my responsibility to keep rolling starts until we get one.
  • We will at all times make a reasonable attempt to control at least half of the known world's gold mines. Once we control its mining, we are free to trade it away, but we must be in control of at least half of the mines. If this means war, so be it.
  • We will build monastaries and universities as soon as it is practical to do so.
  • We must found, adopt and spread Islam. If we do not, we lose.

Other than that, it's a 'just win' approach.

The Settings:

• Difficulty: Prince.
  • Map Type: Earth or Continents (up for discussion).
  • Map Size: Standard.
  • Civ: Uh... Mali?
  • Barbs: On, standard.
  • Victory: All enabled.
  • Opponents: Standard for the map size, must include Egypt.

The Players:
1. Omni Paul
2. TomPW
3. Sand
4. n0xie
5. jeejeep
6. Strauss

Alternates:

Pholkhero
Talamane

Noble/Prince level players encouraged. Standard SG ettiquete applies (24 got it / 48 post - ask for a skip rather than going AWOL).

Do YOU want to be a Malionaire?

I think most of those guys are over committed as it stands

Overly committed? I've only been committed once. It was nice. Padded room all to my self. The electric shocks sort of sucked, but the meds more than made up for it. Did you know, if you hold really still, you can get a drool strand to go all the way to the floor?

Anyway, like Fox, I'm a bit taxed ATM. Sorry. Definitely lurking, though.

Followed you over from Queen Mother SG. I'll continue to lurk here. Looking forward to another good SG!

<Lurk mode - on>

Just wanted to put in that this'll be a fun one, sorta along the lines of my Sun Never Sets game. Be careful on the earth map though, as it runs slowly no matter what you do.....but it does make for a real fun game.

I'll be lurking.

i'll sign up if you don't mind a guy on noble dificulty who has only played civ for less than a month, completed 5 1/2 full games and never played an SG before.
but appart from that i'm ready to make the jump to prince so put me last.
i also think that this game will be farly easy since gold mine's provide huge commerce and the leaders finacial. it does seem hard to found islam though and especially spread the last religion.
BTW I am GMT and should be able to play between 4pm and 11pm

Lurk:

I'll back up what Chris said. I'm in his British Empire game. Slowest...turns...ever. On a huge map (which the Earth map is), you have more cities, more units, more workers, more civs to constantly check on.

Make sure, if you play that map, that all involved have a nice box to play it on. And even if the machine can handle it. All the MM involved in the industrial age is pretty overwhelming.

Edit: Oh, and it does sound really fun for anyone else who might be on the fence.

Signing up as well:) I would also suggest taking continents over Earth, although that might take away a bit from the game. I'm in either way though

@paul:

I will be lurking in this one. I can't play it - Mansa is my chief foe in all of my games. To play actually with him would be like the pope wearing pentagrams on his mitra. ;) :)

LT

ahhh, f- it...my kids don't need THAT much attention

sign me up, baby, sign me up!

edit: will we know beforehand (via WorldBuilder) how many gold's are out there??

edit2:
Mansu Musa of Mali.

Financial:
Spiritual:

Skirmisher

Mining
The Wheel

So, start position, aussie??

pholkhero said:
ahhh, f- it...my kids don't need THAT much attention

sign me up, baby, sign me up!

edit: will we know beforehand (via WorldBuilder) how many gold's are out there??

Thats the spirit :lol:

Ill be lurking this one, very nice variant omni, but unfortunately im too preoccupied with other stuff for the next few weeeks.

will we know beforehand (via WorldBuilder) how many gold's are out there??

I can volunteer to be your "world builder guy" if you need someone to check/alter goldmine locations. Can't promise I'd refrain from pranking, though. ;)

Excellent. I've edited the top post to include the roster, and it looks like we have a healthy compliment of lurkers :).

Pholk, I've put you down as an alternate for now, as we have 6 already, but if the group thinks we can run with 7 (might be a good idea considering we all have lots of SGs on the go, and this is epic speed), then I'll happily add you in as 7.

EVERYONE IN THE ROSTER, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE SUBSCRIBED TO THE THREAD :D

As for the map, I'm leaning toward a standard continents map for performance reasons. As for world building, I don't think it's necessary, we can just make a rule that at the end of each turnset the player looks around and counts up all visible gold resources. If malicontrolled < (totalgold)/2 then warmode=on :)

By the way I'll roll some starts tonight on standard continents maps, unless you guys think there's a workable smaller earth map around. Will post starting position screenshot in about 8 hours.

Top Bottom