Open Role Play Challenge: Barbarric Monty

Hah nice one kartrak. I see that in Loknars game there wasnt anyone really dominating the other continent. I got inspired by this game and made my own rpc.
A huge map with a huge continent and myself on a nice big landmass, but not a extreme landmass like Terra would give me.
This time Toku didnt get the extra land like in Mads rpc, but he had up to 9 vassals when I won a cultural win. His SoD had 150 units!! If he wasnt a dumb AI he would have had a domination win well before 1800AD. I gave in to all his demands so I got him to friendly so he didnt bother me :)
He seems to fare well with no tech trading, which makes sense since he normally never does it either :D
I played it on emperor after first trying Monarch, but I quickly noticed that on monarch it was too easy. Next time I'll use a massive continent so that the AI doesnt send their SoD to the other end of the continent for a war... was a bit ridiculous sometimes :)

I played to 1500's AD, where I quit. It looked like I was going to get infantry and airships before anybody had rifles, and I already had enough galleons to ship 30+ units over there. And, my system lags on large pretty bad so I just hung it up rather than wading through backwards stuff and waiting for turns to end for 2 hours or more.

So, Emp/Epic with same settings as OP (minus events) to 1500's AD.

Spoiler :

Wonderspam, settle cities

With stone and later marble, I got 3/4 of the wonders and had a crazy SSE going despite the size of the empire. Religious trifecta made my buildings very powerful. Since tech trades are off and we have time before meeting the AI, this path made a lot more sense than usual.

With state property, I could settle the 2nd half of the land mass, and go granary + forge + wealth to have them MAKE money on each city very, very fast (trade routes almost instantly cover, and caste guild chem workshops are a solid instant boost).

With the makings of a blowout and a slow system, I'll move on now.

Why does your game show the techs the AIs have? In mine the tech screen is just a blank. Is it an option or something?

My damn computer keeps crashing on this game. Let me just predict what would have happened:

Spoiler :
Having a massive tech lead, and nothing better to do than either wait around to build spaceship parts, the Aztec nation chose to discover Lasers, just because it would be fun to actually use Mobile SAM and Mobile Artillery in a real war.

With all but one mapped out city founded in South Atecia (and the one that isn't founded is only because Shaka captured a barb city all the way at the bottom of the continent, and I haven't gotten around to burning it to the ground and replacing it with a proper one,) the Aztecs declared war on the Holy Roman empire, who had also settled a city on some not yet culturally claimed Aztec land. The Aztec tanks made quick work of the light defenses. This time, however, there would be no peace treaty.

A fleet of Aztec battleships sailed for the Holy Roman capital (which happened to be the only non-Aztec city on the Top-Five list) and waited for the aircraft carriers and troop transports to be loaded up and join them a couple turns later. After successfully stripping the city of it's cultural defenses, one battleship stayed put to secure the location for the amphibious assault, the rest went around blowing away the Holy Roman wooden navy.

As the invasion force drew within one move of the target city, an AP vote to stop the war against Charlie came up. This was most annoying. Then again, he was already willing to capitulate, but I really wanted that city. It was the Buddhist holy city, and there were MANY Buddhist cities around the world. We voted NO as opposed to defying it, since the Aztec Nation really has no use for any of the other HR cities.

So, the Aztec aircraft carriers launched their fighters, Aztec Marines took out the toughest defenders, and then the Aztec tanks finished the attack directly from the transports. We then accepted Charlie's capitulation and started stocking up on troops to move next against the warlike Mongols. Mobile SAMs, Mobile Artillery, Bombers, Tanks, and Paratroopers were being flown in to all Holy Roman cities in preparation for the invasion when the computer crashed for what would be the last time of this game.

The rest of the game would have been fairly straightforward. The massive combined arms of the Aztec military would have taken the Mongol capital, savaged the counter attacking stack with a devastating carpet bombing attack and then blitz tanks, and possibly taken one or two more cities until he gave up. The mighty military would probably then swing around to take out Arabia in no more than a couple of turns. By this time, The United Nations would be completed (mostly to deal with the AP problem) and Mad Monty would then immediately suggest that he be anointed world leader.

Given that the massive, Sushi gorging, Aztec nation and its vassal states accounted for two thirds of the world's population before bringing Arabia into the fold, the results of the UN vote seem obvious.

I'm sorry that my computer couldn't handle the rest of this game. I really did want to see just how big of an advanced stack I could eventually build.

Why does your game show the techs the AIs have? In mine the tech screen is just a blank. Is it an option or something?

In the score board or the tech screen? in the score board, its cause of espionage points. In the tech screen, its cause the AI doesn't have any techs on you.

Started to play this game without realizing it was marathon. :mad: Can it get any slower? Instead of coming back to the thread and downloading the world builder file, good old silly me stuck to marathon to see how things would go. Here's what I have in 1010AD.
Spoiler :
I settled in place and didn't realize it was a raging barbs game. I had to reload because I was conquered by them very early. Two warriors can't really face 3 archers and 4 warriors. I went back and built five warriors in the capital instead and rushed to the great wall.

The computer is not teching very fast. GLH in 695 AD and Colossus in 980 AD. Is that normal on marathon?

I, on the other hand, am building as many wonders as I can. The capital won't be able to keep building them, too little production. Even if I don't, I guess I'll only build more wonders in the modern age. Pentagon, for example. :satan:

These are the techs I have. I haven't teched iron working or fishing yet. Right after divine right, I'll research them, then civil service and go to the money line to let me settle the south. I haven't explored it yet, but it seems there's a massive continent to the south.

These are my current possessions. Nevermind the next cities, I haven't made up my mind yet. I still have to decide what to do with those pesky islands. As the south will be technically the same continent I am now, I have to settle at least two off shore cities to start getting intercontinental trade routes.

Demographics and our absolute cultural dominance.

Attachments

• Montgomery AD-1010.CivBeyondSwordSave
    445.5 KB · Views: 75
I had to stop for a while because what I saw when I met the other continent was hilarious.

Spoiler :
A 28 cities Scandinavia, master of Arabia and Mongolia. Due to some hidden modifiers I became Ragnar's worst enemy instantly. Wanna know the funniest part? The guy already has rifles! I was putting off liberalism, but now that I've met him, he decided he had enough on his hands. So I'll take rifling from lib and start building a ton of rifles. It's about time I started settling the south part of the continent. Thanks heavens Ragnar doesn't have astronomy yet, but he could be researching it right now. Montgomery may be in serious trouble. Right after getting rifling, I'll become a theocratic nation so that my troops get two promotions. I'm glad I'm not playing this on immortal!

Land

Techs

Demographics

I haven't met Shaka yet.

I'm not sure on how aggresive AI works. Do they build more troops?

Attachments

• Montgomery AD-1582.CivBeyondSwordSave
    622.7 KB · Views: 70
I'm not sure on how aggresive AI works. Do they build more troops?

Agressive AIs are just plain dumb. Yes you are correct, they build alot of troop they cannot pay for killing their research.

Top Bottom