Opening Game Strategies?

On this sort of map (remember it will be generated normally and then tweaked), it is very likely that we won't even many, if any, inland cities, and our capital will be for sure on the coast. I don't think an inland city will necessarily make a better factory, since you're not using that many tiles. It really comes down to the resources, and start locations will most likely be good for that, as Calis said.

I like the colossus prebuild idea, maybe granary-> curragh/warrior -> settler.

Interesting question - should we go granary/curragh, or curragh/granary?

We should almost certainly build at least 1 warrior for nearby scouting. I dunno if all our cities will be coastal or not, but we should make sure we know where things like luxuries are - I'd like to send a warrior out 4-6 tiles and do a semi-circle around our cap to find good sites.

In the past DG games was their a game with relatively the same size? How small is small?
I know we don't know exactly but if we were to guess, will we have 5~7 cities or 10~12
I've always played large to huge maps, although the core is simular things like the Forbidin Palace is removed.

I think if I had just a guess of what we are looking forward to my t-twitch would relax a bit :)

OK, I asked friepa for the pic and got it.

NOW you should start discussing...

Attachments

• happytrance-ori-gm.jpg
    happytrance-ori-gm.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 245
:goodjob:How nice of them. Pre-irrigated and everything. Either settle in place or move 1 SE. Maybe move the worker on to that sugar to see what we'd miss out on if we moved. I'm leaning towards settle in place though for the extra turn of irrigated wheat goodness, plus I'd wager that the mapmaker put us in the optimal starting spot.

I say we settle on the spot as well. Send the worker to road the wheat after we do the worker move.

VVV FULL SIZE PIC VVV

I would definitely settle on the spot, but I'm not sure about roading the wheat first. That road will not help us move faster from the capital until Engineering, and I tend to consider commerce the least valuable opening resource (food first, then shields, then commerce). I would wait to see what settling uncovers before I decided on a worker move.

Can anyone see that attachment on another page? How safe is it?

I say show another screenshot after you plant the city. If nothing great shows up, then I'd agree with roading the wheat for Commerce.

I would agree with Chamnix - if that wheat is irrigated, we should settle first.

I assume that's an FP wheat?

it looks like we have 6 plains, a sugar hill, 2 reg hills, 2 forests, 1 grass and 2 unknown grassland tiles.

Most likely, I'm going to end up prefering to mine the sugar hill, though that's a lot of time - but there's a good chance it's going to be our 2nd best time, after the wheat.

Looks like the image is secure. I copied the image location into a second browser, and instead of showing it, the forum asked me to log in.

can't chop forests for wonders in Civ III. besides, I think we will want to keep that forest around for awhile, as it is our best shield source for awhile.

I'm not suggesting we decide anything until we see what our other tiles are, but with a floodplains wheat for turbo growth and a sugar hill that we (probably) want to mine early, I think we should give serious consideration to having a worker be our first build.

Top Bottom