Opening Moves Question

gmaharriet

Ancient Crone
I've realized lately that I've become sorta "stuck" playing at Monarch for a long time, in spite of some SG training games and lots of other games played, so I decided to go back and re-read articles in the War Academy for the first time in a very very long time, including "The Great Leap" by Ision.

Anyway, I noticed in Cracker's "Opening Moves" article that he shows in his grid of power tiles "Bonus grass with cattle" and "Bonus grass with wheat"...two of the most powerful tiles. Ya know, I don't think I've ever seen a bonus grass under either cattle or wheat. Am I missing something?

I first read that article wayyyyy back when I was a newbie and just barely understood the concepts. A lot of it is far more meaningful to me now in the re-reading, but bonus grasses combined with other bonuses is jumping out at me now as confusing. I'm hoping someone can please help me out.

Here's a link to the page with the chart on it. http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/cracker/civ3_starts/opening_plays.htm#terrain_basics

good question!
i don't remember seeing any of those two... add to those bg+wine
i just went through few savegames and didn't find any such tiles...

I believe that you will never get a BG with another resource on it from the random number generator.

It can happen for hand made maps, however.

I'm pretty sure I've run into some wheat on bonus grassland. Then again I've primarily been playing the Conquest Scenarios lately. And those would definitely be premade maps.

But I *THINK* I've encountered some in a randomly generated regular game map. Not very often though. And I could of course be wrong.

Thanks, guys! I guess they're either too rare to worry about, or maybe they would stick out like a sore thumb if I did come across them. :D

I remember playing in a GOTM way back in time where a cow was on a BG and I didn't realise for quite a while. Maybe I'm just not very good at spotting sore thumbs.

The GOTM was diliberatly made. I've never seen a cow or wheat on a BG. If they should appear on a random map, I can't even begin to calculate the odds, even though that was one off my best subjects back im school.

He's talking about the fact that the cow tile gives you a shield as a BG would.

Thanks, M60! That makes sense, but how about the wheat on a bonus grass? No shield there unless it's mined...or does he mean mining it?

I came up with an additional question after reading the article's section on Forestry. He says that when a forest is chopped that is located equally distant between 2 towns, the town which will get the 10 shields is the one which has a citizen (if any) working that forest. I know that's not true in C3C with the decision being made starting in the NE corner 1 tile distant from the forest and going clockwise around and then 2 tiles distant in the same manner. Was that a vanilla/PTW rule changed for C3C? Or had the method just not yet been worked out at the time the article was written?

Whatever the case, the article is marvelously helpful, and well worth the time to re-read.

He's talking about the fact that the cow tile gives you a shield as a BG would.
I disagree. If you read the article, there are two entries (Grass Bonus+Cattle and Grassland + Cattle) and the Grass Bonus+Cattle has a base shield entry of 2.

I was going to ask this once, but my memory is very short. A cow on BG would give 2 shields unimproved and 3 with a mine. 1 for the BG, 1 for the moo cow. I never get these, having the moo on a plain grassland. Same for wheat, an unimproved wheat on BG (sounds like a deli order) will still give 1 shield from the BG beside the extra food. But we aren't really discussing food because the bonus grassland gives the same food, the bonus is the shield. I don't get those either.

There was a nice definitive post on forestry around the GOTM forum that I can't find to cross refrence, sorry, but basically the citizen working it is irrelavant, but I forgot how it goes. But what I do remember is you can send it to the right city if you temporarily change the city you don't want it to go to a wonder or palace, then it will go to the other non wonder city.

Thanks, M60! That makes sense, but how about the wheat on a bonus grass? No shield there unless it's mined...or does he mean mining it?

I came up with an additional question after reading the article's section on Forestry. He says that when a forest is chopped that is located equally distant between 2 towns, the town which will get the 10 shields is the one which has a citizen (if any) working that forest. I know that's not true in C3C with the decision being made starting in the NE corner 1 tile distant from the forest and going clockwise around and then 2 tiles distant in the same manner. Was that a vanilla/PTW rule changed for C3C? Or had the method just not yet been worked out at the time the article was written?

Whatever the case, the article is marvelously helpful, and well worth the time to re-read.

a quick note about forest shield award. yes, it goes NE first, then clockwise, and out to two tiles out, but it will not go to a town if the town is N-N, E-E, etc. in other words, the forest has a fat x around it, a town has to be within the fat x to get the shields

Top Bottom