Operation Gandhi-fall

Giraffeguin

Chieftain
Hello, new to the forum and the game even. Started playing Civilization V last weekend and have been playing it ever since.

Now, I don't know what on earth possessed me but I got inspired to write a story about Gandhi bringing about the nuclear holocaust.

Tagline:
All he wanted was peace. They refused. Now they're resting in pieces.

Chapter One: Culture and Diplomacy

A balding man wrapped in clean white robes paced around the room. He furrowed his brow and brought a skinny hand to his wrinkled forehead. Slowly, he lowered his hand and adjusted his glasses. His eyes sparked something fierce beneath the glass, a wrath he never felt before. Mahatma Gandhi clenched his fist and turned to his nearest aide.

"Get me Mr. Washington," he commanded in Hindi to his attendant.

There were no guards in his chambers, he did not believe in the need for violence and had trust that peace was always the right way. Diplomacy and culture were key, he thought. There is still a way.

"Mahatma Gandhi, it is always a pleasure doing business with you, my friend." That was president George Washington of the United States of America speaking over the telecomm. How he has still lived on into the year of 2050 AD no one really ever knew but no one questioned it. Stranger still was the fact that Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon was still alive and well. Also a wonderful source of Uranium.

"Yes, hello Mr. Washington," Gandhi began in Hindi as his translator relayed the dialog in English to the American. "It is funny you call me a friend after all you have done Mr Washington. I am Gandhi, so I am everyone's friend, yes. But are you really friend to me?"

Washington placed a hand to his heart and feigned a look of hurt. "Why, my old friend what has brought on this exchange? Have I not been good to you in our recent trade deals?"

Oil. Americans always wanted oil. More B-12 bombers to bombard the Ottoman Empire with perhaps. They were always hungering for more war and land. So were the Ottomans. It pained Gandhi to be providing such material but it was a necessity to grant his own people food. His economy has suffered from the recent embargo from his old trading partners. Now his only source of income was trading his last remaining resources to the Americans and Babylon.

"Your last resolution in the United Nations has brought ruin to my people," Gandhi spoke sorrowfully. "You and your allies have banded together to embargo the Ottomans and your other enemies. They were my friends and we helped each other blossom. Now we are all brought to ruin by your diplomacy. I ask of you to repeal the act, Mr. Washington. This war is bringing nothing but ruin not only to your enemies but the rest of the world as well. There are other ways to settle differences."

"I have seen your own proposal to the United Nations, Gandhi. As have the rest of the world leaders. You know our answer."

India had proposed peace. Washington, Caesar, and the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire had brought flames across the land and unhappiness was on the rise. Half of the population of earth were in invisible chains - prisoners of war in their own city occupied by a foreign invader. Gandhi had been trying to settle things by other means by fostering his own culture. Within his city such great people as Mark Twain, Vincent van Gogh, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Johann Sebastian Bach, Beethoven, and Elvis Presley had all been born in India and attracted much tourism. Other world leaders began to come to Gandhi and tell him their own people had began to wear their jeans and listen to that classic Indian rock-and-roll that has been sweeping the nations. It was odd that none of their names sounded very Indian, but nonetheless they were the pride of India.
Such peaceful means of bringing nations together however had come to a halt as the bullies of the world -- namely the Americans, Romans, and Ottomans -- had stomped all over it turning the earth into their personal playground. Worse, the Americans had sought favor with the city-states and now held the majority in the United Nations along with their allies Germany and England. They had exercised this power to place limits on the other nations to keep anyone else from catching up with their own superiority.

Washington had used his favor in the United Congress to block all routes to peace as he still favored war and domination. Gandhi's proposition had failed and it was all due to Washington. Gandhi's brow furrowed just at the thought of his name. This wasn't like him. He shook uncontrollably as if trying to fight an inner urge. At last he stood up, pounding his curled fist onto the table as he glared Washington in the eyes.

"You will pay for this, Mr Washinton," Mahatma Gandhi whispered in a quiet rage. "Oh, you will pay and know the debt has been settled when the skies rain fire."

He shut off the telecomm and slumped down onto a pillow remaining in silence. His attendant walked in, "President Gandhi?" he inquired.

Gandhi looked up. His eyes shone like fire through his glasses. His desire for peace had become so overwhelmingly high it overflowed into the negative. There would be no more peace, oh no, not for Mr. Washington.

Chapter Two: Domination

George Washington sat in the oval office eating his dinner quietly. His powdered white wig sat regally upon his head giving him an aura of dignity and authority. No one question the wig even in 2050 A.D. long after the wigs have gone after style. He was George "does whatever he wants because he's George Washington"

An FBI agent entered the room. He would not interrupt the president's dinner without urgency. At least, most had the common sense enough not to disturb him. "Mr. President, sir," the agent announced himself.

Washington looked up, an expression of disinterest on his face. "I am eating," he declared. It was his way of saying get to the point.

"A council of the alliances have gathered and require your attention, sir."

"Not a matter for the diplomats to handle?"

"No, sir. Queen Elizabeth herself is on the line."

"She's always on the line." Washington sighed as he put his fork down. Once again his dinner would have to be left cold. There was rarely leisure time for the president these days. "She had better not be thinking to declare war on us again. We have won the war for independence at least a hundred times now and always she yields for peace then strikes again."

"I wouldn't know, sir. I was only born this last century."

"Ah, right." Washington nodded. "Of the Atomic and Information era are you? Well son, you may not have been born in the best of times, but know you have been born in the best damn country in the world. With God as my witness."

"Yes, sir." It was one of Washington's routine speeches that got him elected as president for centuries now.

Washington strolled across the room and descended down a stairwell that led to an underground bunker full of communication equipment. His generals and advisers already waited around the table of the war room. Surrounding them were screens with various world leaders and their own advisers. Queen Elizabeth was the most prominent on the screen as Washington entered.

"What business is so important as to interrupt me from my dinner?" Washington asked, his voice hinting his annoyance with his being summoned. He knew how to put on a face in matters of diplomacy. But in this room he was a leader and he had no need for diplomatic farce.

Queen Elizabeth glared at the president. She was short tempered and Washington's annoyance did not escape her. Instead she already thought about declaring war on the man again for the slight. Her foreign adviser quickly calmed her down. Instead, she got to the reason for her call.

"I had news I thought would be of interest to you, President Washington." the Queen offered. "It may concern the others here as well."

"Yes?" Washington pressed.

"Our spies have uncovered top secret information from India. Gandhi plans to attack us. His first target is yourself - directly at the heart of America." She smirked. "Whatever did you do to earn his ire, might I inquire?"

Washington ignored her banter and simply laughed. "You called me for a joke?"

"Surely your own spies had uncovered this too, Mr. President?" asked Chancellor Bismark of Germany. "America has spies everywhere, surely they had discovered this even without the aid of England."

Washington looked toward the German leader. "Gandhi is a peaceful man. We have provoked him many times, as have every other nation in existence. Even the city-states test his waters. The man has no breaking point in his mantra for peace. We never have fear of him he will eventually succumb and offer his city to us as the rest. He won't harm a fly, and he won't harm us."

"If you say so, my friend." Bismark shrugged. He scratches his rocking mustache and sniffed. "Oh, and Mr. Washington? Withdraw your spies from my land. We've all had quite enough of your spying shenanigans."

Washington cleared his throat. "Yes, well we can talk of that another time."

Elizabeth cast her haughty look at the president. "And what of Gandhi?"

"He will not attack." Washington repeated.

Elizabeth pointed at Washington accusingly. "You dare accuse me of giving your false information!?"

"You do it all the time Elizabeth." Washington sighed. "We are not stupid enough to remove our military from our lands so you may claim them. It is an old tired strategy and clearly this old dog named England hasn't learned any new tricks. Good day. To all of you."

All of the monitors were powered off.

"Sir, Bismark is correct. Our spies have uncovered secret intelligence that India plans a strike against Washington. That is - both you and the city, sir. Our spies in Germany and England can confirm they had received the same intelligence."

"It must be an Ottoman trick," Washington shook his head stubbornly. "Mahatma Gandhi hasn't lifted a finger in all the centuries we have known him. If there is anything I have learned as your command in chief it is that people refuse to change. Only violent revolutions work. America would not be born today had we tried Gandhi's approach against England. After all this is America, the best da-"

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

A deafening siren blared throughout the white house and all of America, interrupting the president.

"Get down Mr. President!"

Panic erupted as the sirens were silenced by a ground shaking boom. Silence. No one heard the explosion - their ears were still ringing.

"Survey the damage now!" the military adviser shouted.

The science adviser shook in fear as he fiddled about. "Nothing," he whispered, "everything is out of commission. The blast took it all."

Static filled the radio waves and all screens were blank. Those inside the bunker remained put for several days although the long wait seemed almost a year. An all-clear never came. When they emerged from the bunker, death and destruction was abound. Radiation filled the air. Those who were tasked to see to the president's safety had long perished from the aftermath of the fallout if not the blast itself. America was just a year ago the nation closest to world domination both military and diplomatically. Now it laid in ruins, left in radioactive ashes beneath a mushroom cloud that lingered in the air like America's ghost leaving its corpse. America the beautiful no more.

Washington knew he had paid the debt.

Chapter Three: Science

Following the launch heard around the world, Gandhi had appeared on television reaching out to the world leaders that remained. His hands were folded behind his back as he marched up to the camera and hunched over and tilted his head. "Oh, hello there Mr. Washington." Gandhi said cheerfully. "I know you are out there somewhere because I did not see you in America when I came for a visit. What a shame, you know I was looking forward to seeing you. I hope you liked my peacekeeping gift and I have another for you should I find you. Let that be a warning to all who wish to ally themselves with America." Gandhi laughed. "Oh, yes. Let there be peace my friends. If you will not, then I will make it so."

With that said, the transmission ended.

Nuclear missiles had always been a weapon of deterrent. With Gandhi's nuclear launch, a new age of destruction began. This was one man who did not see nukes as a deterrent, but as a means to an end. No more did nations build up nuclear missiles in an arms race. Now the great nations raced to build bunkers and shelters for their survival like insects hiding beneath the earth to survive the fall out. Building a nuke was a death sentence. If Gandhi even suspected a nation had obtained nukes, he would destroy them with his own first. If he suspected a nation of harboring Washington, he destroyed them too. After all, to Gandhi, Washington was the antithesis of peace.

Gandhi gave them all a chance for peace and they did not take it. They refused his offer. Now he was giving them peace. The great nations now rest in pieces. Those that remained were fragmented and weak hiding underground. Except for one.

Babylon's great walls stood the test of time. Not once did Nebuchadnezzar II ever try to provoke Gandhi. He had even voted in Gandhi's favor when the United Nations had once convened on the matter of peace before the fallout. All the man seemed interested in was technological advancement. He kept to himself and kept out of the affairs of the great nations. He did however trade Gandhi his excess Uranium suggested he had no use for them. Originally the uranium was meant for nuclear power plants that India had desired. Somewhere along the lines these plants had become converted as a way to deter enemies from attacking the peaceful India. This was in the times when nuclear missiles were used as a scare tactic and deterrent.

Gandhi had no quarrel with Babylon and so he let them remain. Unfortunately for Gandhi, Nebuchadnezzar II's eagerness for friendship with India was only a ploy for survival.

In Babylon, a secret meeting of the United Nations sans India was held. Washington, Bismark, Elizabeth and even their enemies Suleiman I of Ottoman Empire, Augustus Caesar of Rome, and their various allies had attended. There were no longer quarrels over land when all of the earth was poisoned by radiation. Only India and Babylon remained sacred.

Suleiman I proposed a coup. "If India is all that remains then we should take it," he shrugged. "It is most, simple, yes? I do not see why this merits discussion."

Nebuchadnezzar strokes his long majestic beard and cast his wise gaze upon the Sultan. "All you ever think is to take without consequence, dear Sultan," he mused. "Is that not how you came upon this mess in the first place? An empire that seeks to grow without consequence of their action is doomed from the start."

The Sultan sneered and waved his hand to disregard his host. "I would take Babylon if I had an army!"

"I have no doubt," Nebuchadnezzar replied calmly. "But you would be a fool to think I would bend easily. Now silence unless you can remain civil."

Suleiman silenced although reluctantly. Caesar sat watching the exchange in his eternal boredom. He too only had eyes for war and was not satisfied without expanding his borders. He felt cramped within the confinements of Babylon. "I must say I am inclined to agree with the Sultan." Caesar shot him a look. "As much as it pains me to agree with an old fool like him."

Nebuchadnezzar remained quiet, still stroking his beard. "Mm, yes," was all he replied.

Washington stood up now and straightened his back as he denounced his former rivals, "Taking India would be death wish. By all means if you wish your people to become extinct, go ahead."

Suleiman scowled. "You dare to mock the Ottoman Empire?"

Caesar was more reserved, "We shall see."

"Let the man speak," Nebuchadnezzar mediated.

Washington nodded his thanks. "As I was saying," he began and cast a glance at his rivals daring them to interrupt George "does whatever he wants because he's George Washington" Washington again. "Already Gandhi has proven dominant over us - all of us. Not just the Ottomans. Not just the Romans. Americans, Englishmen, and fellow Germans too have fell to Indian might."

"Nuclear missiles is no test of might! If we fought with armies it would be a different story," Suleiman snorted.

Caesar tilted his head amused at Suleiman's thoughts, "My only gripe is that I did not launch first. That should be your one regret as well. We were beat by warfare, it just developed from our days of bows and arrows, old friend."

Suleiman piped down though he was still annoyed. "I perhaps that proves we are human. We did not slaughter his people as he did ours."

Caesar laughed. "I would suggest it to be politics rather than morality. Don't think yourself so highly now. After all, I am the emperor of Rome."

"And I am the Sultan!" Suleiman flared.

"Tempers, gentlemen." Washington shook his head. "All are mere titles. Empty now without our nations to rule. We also have no army which to claim India unless we were to borrow from Babylon." He gestured toward Nebuchadnezzar he remained quiet observing the others. "However, we have naught to give him either. We are unfortunately at the mercy of either India or Babylon."

"Mercy," Nebuchadnezzar let the word hang in the air as he repeated it. "I had agreed with Gandhi before the fallout. All of you were bringing ruin to our great earth. I was here before all of you and paved the way to civilization and this is how you repay my efforts? With destruction?"

The world leaders shrunk back and hid guilty looks as if they were scolded school children. They had not expected the sharp rebuke.

Nebuchadnezzar stood from his chair and let his majestic beard fall across his chest. "That is why I pursued science!" he declared as he spread his arms wide. "Science if the path to victory," he reaffirmed.

"Science?" Bismark raised an eyebrow. "Some sort of blitzkrieg stealth tanks then?"

Queen Elizabeth drummed her hand on her own chair. "Oh, just get on with it. We don't have all day."

"There is no place for us on Earth anymore," whispered Nebuchadnezzar sorrowfully. "Let Gandhi have the earth. If anyone can let is grow again even among these ruins, it would be our old friend should he return to his senses. With peace achieved at last, perhaps he might."

"Have you gone mad?" Caesar was blunt.

"We are doomed after all," agreed Suleiman.

"Fools!" Nebuchadnezzar's voice boomed throughout the hall. "I have already built a spaceship fit to carry all of Babylon into space. Seeing your plight I had the foresight to build two more which should be enough to carry the remains of your own civilizations. Together, we can carry onward to space and establish new life."

Washington was moved, "Sir, I gracefully accept your humble offer on the behalf of America."

Caesar stared blankly seemingly fighting his need to feel superior to others. "Rome accepts," was all he could muster.

Suleiman nodded, "Ottoman Empire smiles upon you."

All of the other nations present too affirmed their approval and the resolution to journey into space was passed.

In the next year, all of the civilizations had gathered in Babylon once more and they set off to space. Nebuchadnezzar stood at the captain's deck and looked at the monitor displaying the earth behind them. Radioactive clouds infested the atmosphere and the once beautiful blue waters and lush green lands were seen n more. Earth would be left behind in the past. There was only the future to look forward to. He sighed and glanced at the other two spaceships as seen through the windows of his own. Was it a mistake to bring the others? Would they only bring destruction to the new world or can they achieve a peaceful civilization at last?

He shook his head. Only time would tell and with his own experience with time he already knew the answer. Perhaps he should have stayed on Earth.

So, The Great Mistake was a nuclear war waged by Gandhi. This might make a good setup for a Civ BE story.

So, The Great Mistake was a nuclear war waged by Gandhi. This might make a good setup for a Civ BE story.

Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!!!

Oh, and great story, by the way! Doing another one any time soon? (Yes, Heerlo, I'm trying to draw attention away from the fact that I was too busy this weekend to update my own...)

Yes, Heerlo, I'm trying to draw attention away from the fact that I was too busy this weekend to update my own...

I could say something about that, but, I don't have much room to talk. :blush:

Back on topic, this is a good story. I would definitely read a continuation.

Honestly guys between...well all of us i don't think anyone who reads Civ V stories expects regular updates :lol:

Thanks for all the comments guys, I am flattered!

Heerlo, so far you're the only one who got the connection I was trying to make in the ending not only being reference to the science victory but Beyond Earth as well. So, nice!

I haven't thought about a continuation yet - although maybe some alternate endings with other nations involved could be fun. Also still have plenty of games ahead of me so I wouldn't be surprised if I get inspired to write again sometime.

Thanks again, all!

Top Bottom