Operation Varsity Blues

It's actually more like people are dumping tons of resources into gaming the measures by which "merit" is demonstrated.

Na, just replace the grades/score section with family financial records. No reason to complicate things.

It's actually more like people are dumping tons of resources into gaming the measures by which "merit" is demonstrated.

Haha yes, the issue is what counts as "merit".

If you set "merit" = "ability to do WC in EU 4", I have "earned" a top 1% placement in any career of my choosing. When I said merit in the previous post, I didn't mean that kind of "merit". I meant measured ability with predictive value for how the students will perform in the classroom.

Though I suppose money can "take care" of that too with proper lack of supervision.

I thought about taking SATs for money as a serious option once a while ago but it’s just so crazy risky.

When I did it it was really easy. A fake ID on a level sufficient to fool an exam proctor is just not that hard to come by, especially with the blessing of the person being impersonated. The risks of fake IDs almost all revolve around the fact that you are basically putting one person in two places at the same time.

When I did it it was really easy. A fake ID on a level sufficient to fool an exam proctor is just not that hard to come by, especially with the blessing of the person being impersonated. The risks of fake IDs almost all revolve around the fact that you are basically putting one person in two places at the same time.

That risk is largely if the fake ID is of a real person. Definitely applicable to this case.

I got pretty good SAT scores back in the day, but I think I'd have a hard time passing for a high school student now so even setting ethics aside it's not going to happen!

That risk is largely if the fake ID is of a real person. Definitely applicable to this case.

I got pretty good SAT scores back in the day, but I think I'd have a hard time passing for a high school student now so even setting ethics aside it's not going to happen!

That risk is exactly what I meant when I said it is eliminated when you have the blessing of the impersonated person. They are basically in two places at the same time, so if they are flashing their ID while using a credit card to pay for breakfast while you are taking the GRE in their name that's a potential problem. If they have the good sense to just stay quietly at home until you get back and hand them their ID with your photo on it everything goes pretty smoothly. And yeah, I outgrew the SAT a long time ago, but the GRE is more...forgiving.

Or at least it was a couple decades ago. Undoubtedly it is much better secured today.

This subject came up between a couple of older dudes on another forum I frequent. I guess this was crazy easy to do back in the day and a legit way to make serious money.

The thing I read about the OP event said that the testers were paid upwards of EIGHTY THOUSAND per test. Obscene. Take two or three tests and I’d be able to pay rent for like 8-10 years.

I feel like it’s a little riskier nowadays? When I signed up for my proper SAT they needed a whole lot of sensitive information and then I needed more than just an ID, I needed this like verified ticket to get in. Plus if even these elites can’t get away with suppressing it maybe they’re cracking down on it a little harder or something.

On the other hand, my mom’s engaged to a college teacher right now who has a student who very obviously faked all his admissions stuff and is clearly paying people to write his papers etc. When he (the fiancé) brought it up to the school administration they basically declined to do anything about it. If that level of apathy is consistent then maybe it’s not so risky in the grand scheme of things.

That risk is exactly what I meant when I said it is eliminated when you have the blessing of the impersonated person. They are basically in two places at the same time, so if they are flashing their ID while using a credit card to pay for breakfast while you are taking the GRE in their name that's a potential problem. If they have the good sense to just stay quietly at home until you get back and hand them their ID with your photo on it everything goes pretty smoothly. And yeah, I outgrew the SAT a long time ago, but the GRE is more...forgiving.

Or at least it was a couple decades ago. Undoubtedly it is much better secured today.

I was thinking more along the lines of alternate uses for fake IDs, which don't necessarily have to be of real people. These trade a "simultaneous location" problem for a different one.

I was thinking more along the lines of alternate uses for fake IDs, which don't necessarily have to be of real people. These trade a "simultaneous location" problem for a different one.

Yeah, that's the delicate balance of fake IDs. If there is a real person behind it there are things that are a lot easier to face, like cops. If you are pulled over for some incidental thing like a traffic violation or a busted tail light, and can present a fake ID and registration that closely matches a real person and their car you are probably going to be able to just drive away even if there is a warrant out for you because you are a known mass murderer...but you need to ditch before that person is notified about how to handle "their" ticket. If you are using a purely created identity in that situation it needs to be backstopped all the way through DMV records or you are toast.

On the other hand, when you use a purely created ID you never have to worry about conflicts with a real person, like when they contact some on-line credit service and find accounts they know nothing about associated with their social security number.
I feel like it’s a little riskier nowadays? When I signed up for my proper SAT they needed a whole lot of sensitive information and then I needed more than just an ID, I needed this like verified ticket to get in. Plus if even these elites can’t get away with suppressing it maybe they’re cracking down on it a little harder or something.
Again this is a function of co-operation. Can you think of anything that prevented you from giving your verified ticket to someone else? If they had an ID with your name and their picture was there anything about the verified ticket that would keep them from using it just like you did?

$1,000,000 bond for Lori Loughlin, $250,000 for Huffman

seems kinda high for what they're accused, I'll be surprised if they do more than 6 months if any time

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., a presidential candidate and a former school teacher, expressed outrage over the scandal in an interview Tuesday with ABC News.

"This is just stunning," Warren said. "To me this is just one more example of how the rich and powerful know how to take care of their own."

Yeah, they could have just exploited affirmative action by claiming Indian ancestry

https://abcnews.go.com/US/hollywood...college-admissions-cheating/story?id=61627873

The rich and powerful got busted scamming the college admissions system

From the Full House to the Big House

Nah, they'll get a slap on the hand and the guy running it will get nailed
this is exactly what i mean about privileged white liberals. they publicly say they support social justice but their actions consistently undermine their so-called beliefs. theyre either woefully ignorant of just how privileged they actually are or its all false sincerity. lately im beginning to think its always been all about making themselves feel powerful, special, or important and theyre simply feigning support of these causes for personal gain.

hh

Yeah, they could have just exploited affirmative action by claiming Indian ancestry
what a larp that was. using one of the most historically oppressed groups in this country for her own personal gain. id like to give her the benefit of the doubt purely for the fact that the magatards all think shes insane and i dont want to imagine were living in a world where theyre right about the character of establishment liberals more often than a broken clock. if warren knew or had serious doubts about her ancestry and still used it to get into school, then again to bolster her political career thats truly sociopathic.

hh

Oh, I understand the purpose.

Oh neat, a news story I actually know something about!

A few quick thoughts:

1)This entire operation is objectively a stupid investment, and kinda funny. After all, if your parents are a Hollywood power couple or a big time hedge fund guy, it honestly doesn't matter where you go to college...you're going to be a great position to be successful anyway. And it's not like there's a substantial difference in educational quality in schools like Wake or Texas (or even other expensive private schools) and most state flagships, like an Ohio State or a Georgia or Florida. It's just about class and being able to brag at dinner parties and stuff.

2) It is, of course, another example of how university admissions are not meritocratic at all, and for every "advantage" that poor or modest incomed individuals have is dwarfed by the institutional advantages of the rich.

3) Some of the coaches tangled up here were some of the most successful in the history of their sports! It's wild that they're all blackballed now. It also included IMG, the most powerful and biggest high school athletics academy in the country.

4) LMAO USC IS SO BAD AT CHEATING they tried to sneak a 145 pound kid from New Hampshire on there as like, a long snapper. Sloppy, sloppy work.

Sounds like Loughlin's daughter doesn't really show up for many classes, maybe she would if she knew Mommy could go to jail for getting her in there. I read somewhere USC might expel her if they think she was in on it.

it honestly doesn't matter where you go to college...you're going to be a great position to be successful anyway.

It does indeed matter. Most of the learning I gained from going to UCLA came from my interactions with other students, not from the classes.

It is, of course, another example of how university admissions are not meritocratic at all,
No, it's an example of how a teeny minority of parents gamed the system.

Top Bottom