Opinions on Civ 6

just spend 6 hours or even more getting my homework running which was a sparsevector implementation as a list ... in the end this list is supposed to hold our level information
with that said i dont know how much help i would be right now but by the end of the semester i hope i would be more useful
i also had a quick look into one file and its header and there really was no documentation at all ... even in the header cant you have some documentation there ?
then there was at least one construct i didnt know yet and on top of that i had no idea what all the classes and structures were supposed to do
any new coder would need a lot of introduction to the current system id imagine

i also had a quick look into one file and its header and there really was no documentation at all ... even in the header cant you have some documentation there ?

When you have had at the very leaat 20+ modders work here and it's just a hobby,......then your documentation is a low low priority. And this mod is an amalgamation of many other mods too and who policed their documentation?

It's great when there is documentation to use as a new modder, but even then you end up having to have to test what is there to see if it even applies to the current state of the mod. And not a single Modder here is going to spend any conceivable amount of time on it when it can change in a the next days version by new coding.

Sorry but it is what it is. And like I said before new college students taking C++ come in and say they want to help, then realize it's more work than they want and they disappear. All understandable of course, but not helpful either.

Not trying to dissuade you, just laying out the facts and the ground floor.

JosEPh

any new coder would need a lot of introduction to the current system id imagine
I started by learning how to add a tag. One could just as easily start by learning how to trace how an xml tag is applied throughout the structure of the code. I started adding tags and expanding on my understanding of how to do so and through a great deal of trial and error and patience on behalf of wiser team coders than I, a wide ranging generalized understanding of the code and all its mechanisms and methods have emerged.

Suffice it to say it take a goal and patience and a gluttony for punishment to dive back in with a new goal after the last was completed and debugged. What has driven me like a madman with this mod has been that my goals started off incredibly reaching and visionary from the beginning. I had no idea that what I thought would take months would take decades. But I had planted so many seeds for future development thinking I could grow that garden so much faster than I could that I'm now sticking it out determined to see it all through. I could not have received a better education on beginning programming but I certainly know there's a lot I DON'T know, particularly where setting up a program core architecture is concerned.

And honestly, I'm glad the documentation is 'lacking'. The code IS the documentation. It is a language and one that says all about itself in the most accurate and efficient terms possible. Trying to keep up on keeping accurately discussed English dialogue regarding the intention of various code portions would be a nightmare that would slow the process even further! Particularly since not all our best coders have had English as their first language.

Not having it written in any non coding language also leads to confusion and worse creep of scope where things get added in to the code that are already elsewhere just forgotten; should be elsewhere or even involve the creation of a new class.

edit for instance in Python most modules used to have a localText = gc.localText() at the beginning and used localText in the game. Experenced programmers then went through the code and replaced the latter with calls to the former because they could not see any benefit. The problem was that they slowed the Python down just a little bit because instead of making a local instance and using that they created a local instance many times with all its initiation overhead.

Not having it written in any non coding language also leads to confusion and worse creep of scope where things get added in to the code that are already elsewhere just forgotten; should be elsewhere or even involve the creation of a new class.
True too. Particularly with methods in the AI structures and movement pathing that are just too vast to simply read through without getting a headache from trying to juggle the 8000 things you have to keep all in mind to understand the big picture. I've been thinking of doing some honest flowcharting with a program made for that purpose for some of that stuff.

And you bring up a good point about communication between dll and python. I wish I had the time bandwidth to go through and update the python reference material on all functions in the dlll.

Top Bottom