Opinions on the DH rule in MLB

Do you like the DH

• Total voters
the fact that so many baseball conversations eventually turn to Clifton Phifer Lee is proof-positive that the man is simply mythical :p

many years ago, a lot of pitchers could actually hit. i'm goin' back of course. but they could surely bunt. i remember my dad saying to a young Justo something to the effect, "you know son, in my day, they'd fine a guy for not getting that bunt down..."

times have changed :)

Another bias I have for the DH is getting to play my freshman yr at college. I only got to catch one pitcher (although now the ECU baseball coach :cool: ) in games and he was a fellow freshman. I played, got several bloops and a couple line drive hits... and the coach put me in other games as DH only. I didn't like it at first, but kept getting some hits and played out the rest of the season playing like 2 out of 4 games at a time. Even hit a homerun in the conference deciding game. The older guys couldn't hardly believe what the skinny guy with the giant cranium was doing :D . We played against three of my high school team mates at ECU that year and beat them 3-2. One of our HS's fastest guys (we also had duels in football over QB position early- but he was moved to RB and later only played baseball) got a hit for ECU... and didn't even try to steal on me :lol:(that always meant alot to me personally). They won the second game of the doubleheader and I didn't play. Should have DH'ed me :mischief: .

the fact that so many baseball conversations eventually turn to Clifton Phifer Lee is proof-positive that the man is simply mythical :p

many years ago, a lot of pitchers could actually hit. i'm goin' back of course. but they could surely bunt. i remember my dad saying to a young Justo something to the effect, "you know son, in my day, they'd fine a guy for not getting that bunt down..."

times have changed :)

Jesus, you guys are worse than Domen and r16 over in the WH subforum :mad:

in fairness, some of my favorite DHs over the years, in no particular order:

Don Baylor, Harold Baines, Dave Winfield (later career), Paul Molitor, Jim Thome, Greg Luzinski, edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas. there are others i'm forgetting but these guys could all rake with the best of 'em :)

I'm constantly trying to explain to my countrymen that baseball is an extremely strategic game and not just muscly dudes trying to belt the ball into the stands(admittedly we are spoiled by cricket) . I agree with Owen that the DH rule detracts from the intricacies and tactics of the game .

Top Bottom