Orthanc's Creation Thread

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, POV Ray is tricky at first, and there's always something new to learn how to do, for instance I'm mainly posting here to ask aaglo how he managed to make the rope on his Ork Rock Lobber (or something like that, it was an Orc Catapult) move with the catapult arm as it fired? Obviously I'm asking because I'm working now on the catapult for this thing. As said, the ram got mostly redone, here's another small update.

Attachments

• p3.JPG
    p3.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 362
Good looking ship there, mate :thumbsup:

The rope is very insignificant thing in the catapult included in this ship, so you shouldn't worry about it at all.

But if you insist of knowing how the rope was made: it's just a cylinder with another point fixed, and the other point rotating around the "crossbeam" by using sin and cos functions :)

by using sin and cos functions
Don´t mention them! I barely scratched a pass in that in maths class!

:lol:

You'll be surprised to learn that I'm not exactly a math whiz myself (that being a severe UNDERSTATEMENT), I might one day figure out the proper equation for that rope, but I won' bother with this unit, since you probably won't see the rope anyways.

Thanks for the info aaglo.

Two things:
  • About that catapult - btw I´m really dumb- is it aimed towards the rear end, or am I more myopic than a few days ago?
  • About the rope: don´t be so sure. I am a little fussy sometimes, and I have a 17-inch-screen at 1024x768, so I´ll probably see it.

1) In that preview I hadn't added the arm yet, so technically it wasn't facing any direction, I wouldn't get worried about your eyes to much.

2) Actually what tends to happen is upon putting these units into storyboards ropes (unless I made them exceptionally thick) tend to dissappear entirely in small-large sections. A rope that small would probably vanish entirely, and anyways trying to figure out how to make the rope work would probably add like three hours to the worktime, since I'd have to do all that experimenting and stuff to get the formulas just right.

Avoiding a post without a progress update, I'm just getting to the masts, sails etc. This thing has three rows of oars, though you can't see it too well from this angle.

Attachments

• p4.JPG
    p4.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 383
Oh may... the things you can do with Pov-Ray! I actually downloaded the program, intsalled it and looked at it... but then deemed that it looks too much like "real work".. :lol: but what you're doing is VERY impressive!

Nice thing! Note that sails were used mainly for direction, since the real propelling work was taken by the oarsmen.

Yes I know, sails never were relaible enough in the ancient mediterranean, not for war at least, hence the construction of ships with like two hulls, four rows of oars and three men per oar each (I think something like that existed)

Anywho, modelling is done, animations usually take about a day for something like this, which took all of 34 seconds to render this preview, which is twice the maximum size of an animation frame (ie: no matter how big the unit is in game, each frame will take around half as long to render).

Being a greek ship, usually the bowsprit sail (the forward-most sail) is significantly behind the part that sticks up above the ram of the ship, but the catapult forced me to move the thing forward, so meh. Enjoy the preview.

Attachments

• p5.JPG
    p5.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 398
About that catapult - are you going to make it launch sideways? And does that mean also, that you'll be rotating the catapult 90 degrees - in fortify animation?
And as always, those sails look very nice :thumbsup:

Didn´t Greek ships have only one sail?
If it was used only for direction, why have two?

No they did have two sails, at least on the larger ships. Technically you're probably right, one sail would've probably worked out fine, but I guess they felt they might need the extra boost on occasion.

Yeah, the catapult is elevated above the deck on a turret, so for fortify it'll turn 90 degrees and the arm will bend back into launch position. Yeah, I love that bicubic patch, it's a dream for sails, flags, capes etc.

Orthanc said:
Yeah, I love that bicubic patch, it's a dream for sails, flags, capes etc.
:shakehead Post in English, please, not in Pov-rayish slang! ;)

Well folks, first boat done, onto the next one!

So the question still holds for this new African Boat, what the heck do we call this thing?

Anywho, the new unit is here.

Top Bottom