Otto von Bismarck and the German Jews

Bast

Protector of Cats
Just wondering if anyone has any general info on this subject or if anyone wants to talk about it. I'm trying to do some research but in some really early stages.

I know that he opened the Neue Synagoge in Berlin and that he was also opposed to the anit-semitic movement. But I don't know much else. The jewish emancipation in Germany happened right after unification right?

Any thoughts and points into the right direction will be appreciated. Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone has any general info on this subject or if anyone wants to talk about it. I'm trying to do some research but in some really early stages.

I know that he opened the Neue Synagoge in Berlin and that he was also opposed to the anit-semitic movement. But I don't know much else. The jewish emancipation in Germany happened right after unification right?

Any thoughts and points into the right direction will be appreciated. Thanks.
I suspect Adler will have a field day with this.:goodjob:

In the mean time I can offer some quick gleanings:

Jewish emancipation in the German lands would seem to be a rather long and diverse process, not least because the German lands were. But apprently it started well before Bismarck had anything to say about it.

Most importantly the legal emancipation and citzenship rights were offered the Prussian Jews already in 1812. That means the larger part of what became modern Germany. The only thing Jews were not eligible fore were higher civil offices. And then there was a setback in 1822, in the form of a sweeping interdict forbidding Jews most occupations (a "Berufsverbot"). This legislation was in place in Prussia until 1850.

Full citizenship right for Jews were then first implemented in Baden in 1862, followed by Frankfurt-a-M in 1864. Jews became equal to other subjects of the Habsburg monarchy in 1867, and in 1869 Bismarck (here he comes) made Jews equal with any other confession in the North German League, which was then confirmed for the entire Empire in 1871.

Bismarck did indeed very much for the integration. As book I can remember having heard about : Gold und Eisen, Bismarck und sein Bankier Bleichröder by Fritz Stern. I don't know if there is an English version. Also I never read this book. Although I might order that soon...
Anyway: The emancipation of the Jews was already starting with the immigration of Jews under Frederic the Great and also perhaps his father. The philosoph Moses Mendelssohn was celebrating Frederic for his liberalism (of course in terms of the 18th century!). However it lasted indeed until the reforms of 1812 when the Jews got finally the whole citizenship. But it lasted even longer to become really equal. But that had nothing to do with Germany per se as in other states the situation was hardly much better.
The situation became nearly normal in the middle of the 19th century. But then came the orthodox Jews from Russia. Most wanted only to go to America, but some also stayed. For the population in that days they looked, erm, ridiculous with their hairs and the dark clothes. In that time anti semitic jokes were becoming quiete popular. But nothing of the caliber of the Nazis. Also Bismarck, who was in no way anti semitic, should have told them. However even the assimilated German Jews were accepting these jokes and partially did the same. They simply could not understand the orthodox and their behaviour as well. They also not accepted their life style and rigid following of the religious laws! Even today the Jewish communities have difficulties between the orthodox Jews and the Jews, who are originally German.
The situation with the non Jewish Germans was normal until Hitler took the power. His party became a major factor despite his antisemitism. However 165.000 Germans of Jewish origin or believe were murdered in the Holocaust. After the war the Jewish life in Germany was rebuilt but many were dead or fled into other countries. But many came also back. When the Wall fell Germany accepted Jewish refugees from Russia. Today (2006) 108.000 Germans are of Jewish belief. That means they are active in their communities. Not included the ones who are not member any more.
Of course that is only a short overview...

Adler

Thanks for the responses. It's interesting. I am specifically interested in the role Bismarck had to play in the lives of German jews though.

Bismarck did indeed very much for the integration. As book I can remember having heard about : Gold und Eisen, Bismarck und sein Bankier Bleichröder by Fritz Stern. I don't know if there is an English version. Also I never read this book. Although I might order that soon...
Anyway: The emancipation of the Jews was already starting with the immigration of Jews under Frederic the Great and also perhaps his father. The philosoph Moses Mendelssohn was celebrating Frederic for his liberalism (of course in terms of the 18th century!). However it lasted indeed until the reforms of 1812 when the Jews got finally the whole citizenship. But it lasted even longer to become really equal. But that had nothing to do with Germany per se as in other states the situation was hardly much better.
The situation became nearly normal in the middle of the 19th century. But then came the orthodox Jews from Russia. Most wanted only to go to America, but some also stayed. For the population in that days they looked, erm, ridiculous with their hairs and the dark clothes. In that time anti semitic jokes were becoming quiete popular. But nothing of the caliber of the Nazis. Also Bismarck, who was in no way anti semitic, should have told them. However even the assimilated German Jews were accepting these jokes and partially did the same. They simply could not understand the orthodox and their behaviour as well. They also not accepted their life style and rigid following of the religious laws! Even today the Jewish communities have difficulties between the orthodox Jews and the Jews, who are originally German.
The situation with the non Jewish Germans was normal until Hitler took the power. His party became a major factor despite his antisemitism. However 165.000 Germans of Jewish origin or believe were murdered in the Holocaust. After the war the Jewish life in Germany was rebuilt but many were dead or fled into other countries. But many came also back. When the Wall fell Germany accepted Jewish refugees from Russia. Today (2006) 108.000 Germans are of Jewish belief. That means they are active in their communities. Not included the ones who are not member any more.
Of course that is only a short overview...

Adler

Interesting, you mention the divide between secular and religious (orthodox) jews. This was especially prominent at the time. With the various emancipations a lot of jews wanted to join the mainstream societies of their countries but the orthodox resisted. And they became the jokes of even their fellow jews. For example, the use of Yiddish was frowned upon in some countries and the use of European languages and Hebrew became much more common. Yes, you are correct.

The divide is still there. Not only in Israel, but also here in Germany. The Jewish community in Berlin is at this moment in severe troubles. As the German governement made it more difficulty for Russian Jews to immigrate the Jewish community did not oppose. In contrast it seems they agreed at least silently. As many members are of Russian descend they can not understand. Most of them opposing that are orthodox, most of them who are supporting the government are secular...

Adler

Interesting topic and Adler and Verbose already added important facts. Personally i think Bismarck didn't play the most important role in this process. It only happened during his government, more influenced by general social transformations.
It was not only politcs that supported jewish emancipation during the 19th century in Germany. The jewish community gained many opportunities from the economical liberalization and the industrial revolution. On the other hand a big part of the german technological and ecomic boost was a result of jewish activities. Allthough only 2% or so of the German population in the 19th century were jewish (with higher rates in big cities and eastern regions) Jews were highly overrepresented not only in their yet established financial sector but also in science, culture, new industries and politics (mostly in the liberal parties). You can argue that this was only possible because of emancipation laws, but it is also the other way round: emancipation laws were requested because the jewish community was already highly influential in the modernization of the whole society.
The social division within the jewish community Adler mentioned is very interesting. While some modern, secular jewish people claimed highest postions in all social fields, another part of the Jews were part of the poorest and less integrated social groups in Germany. The jewish inner city quarters of Berlin for example were absolutely degraded.
The Antisemitism was similarly splitted up: On the one hand especially german middle classes were afraid of the jewish social progresses, on the other hand those pictures of the traditional and poor jewish communities were used to depict them as inferior and not part of the society.

...Gold und Eisen, Bismarck und sein Bankier Bleichröder by Fritz Stern.

Assuming this is Gold and Iron: Bismarck, Bleichröder, and the Building of the German Empire by Fritz Stern, then there is an English version available. I am currently reading it, but don't have too much to add at the moment because I'm not even a third of the way though it.

Here's an Amazon link for the book: http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Iron-Fri...9673635?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191874038&sr=8-1

Assuming this is Gold and Iron: Bismarck, Bleichröder, and the Building of the German Empire by Fritz Stern, then there is an English version available. I am currently reading it, but don't have too much to add at the moment because I'm not even a third of the way though it.

Here's an Amazon link for the book: http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Iron-Fri...9673635?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191874038&sr=8-1

Looks like they dropped "his banker" and added "the building of the German Empire". :lol:

I'll look for the English version.

Thanks.

BTW, everyone, I found this article: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9504EED71431E233A2575AC0A9619C946096D6CF

Interesting read. Has anyone read it? Bismarck was certainly a remarkable man not just for his achievements but also for his perspective on 19th century issues. He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes but he was certainly impressive.

I noticed the title didn't look the same, but I'm not fluent in German. It may just be a different edition of the book.

Top Bottom