Ottoman

What if it gave a bonus to production from internal routes sent out? Or a science bonus to external trade routes?

I just finished a game as The Ottomans and it was one of the most dominant victories I've ever had. I was playing on Immortal and won on turn 318 in the year 1896 with a diplomatic victory. The early boosts from finishing trade routes were amazing and I just bee-lined for those extra trade routes and that kept me competitive in all areas early on, which is all I really need to win by the end. The siege weapons took out some neighbors who were being aggressive and I was able to make Morocco a vassal in the medieval era.

I really think the Ottomans are perfectly balanced at this point. I could see myself getting any victory with them. They're fun too. Well done on this one.

Just out of curiosity. Why is Ottoman UA "Tanzimat"? Wasn't Tanzimat reformation of the Ottoman empire which happened nearly at the end of the empire? How does that relate to caravans?

Just out of curiosity. Why is Ottoman UA "Tanzimat"? Wasn't Tanzimat reformation of the Ottoman empire which happened nearly at the end of the empire? How does that relate to caravans?
Think the idea is that a reform happens at the end of every trade-route, but honestly I'm not really sold on it either.

Tanzimat involved the borrowing of ideas from outside the empire for reform. This it is tied to trade in Civ terms. A loose connection but it is there.

G

Tanzimat involved the borrowing of ideas from outside the empire for reform. This it is tied to trade in Civ terms. A loose connection but it is there.

G

Tanzimat means New Order. When the once powerful empire was on decline Turks first borrowed military. But they saw only military was not enough, so they started to borrow institutions, ideas etc. Tanzimat ideas paved the way to modern Turkish Republic. Unfortunately, today it is governed by a party whose objective is to undo Tanzimat.

Tanzimat means New Order. When the once powerful empire was on decline Turks first borrowed military. But they saw only military was not enough, so they started to borrow institutions, ideas etc. Tanzimat ideas paved the way to modern Turkish Republic. Unfortunately, today it is governed by a party whose objective is to undo Tanzimat.
Sadly, this is a trend in the whole world. Better be in a world like Civ V where warmongering does no harm.

Anyone else find the Ottoman UA to be pretty bad? Its worth dramatically fewer yields than Morrocco or Portugal get per turn, and you risk not completing the trade route. The other bonuses are very war oriented which doesn't really complement Tanzimat

Anyone else find the Ottoman UA to be pretty bad? Its worth dramatically fewer yields than Morrocco or Portugal get per turn, and you risk not completing the trade route. The other bonuses are very war oriented which doesn't really complement Tanzimat

I don't like the UB too but i really like janissary ^^ which is crazy powerful ( unlocked sooner and +25% RCS when attacking : Damn )

I disagree that every civ should have a specific focus. Over time I've realised it's pretty boring - like, Germany is all about City States with nothing else, and I don't really like playing it at all as a result. I'm not saying every civ should be a mishmash of three unfitting elements like the Netherlands, but Ottomans make sense as they are - trade however you wish with whomever you wish (or even yourself), then use siege weaponry + janissaries to kill some civs, all the while gaining more science from your good UB. I wouldn't mind a different take on the UA, but I don't want them to become pure trade/pure war civ. That's boring, and we have tons of such as is. More mixed ones are needed as long as they aren't Netherlands-tier in this regard, so it's okay as is. I'd prefer just a bit more yields or something to Ottomans, or maybe another element like "+1 Trade Route for every conquered capital (or CS?)" so they're even more unique, but that's probably too strong. Especially considering they don't seem that weak at all to me, so maybe they need nothing.

I was thinking the same theoretically, but haven't tried a single time yet

I disagree that every civ should have a specific focus. Over time I've realised it's pretty boring - like, Germany is all about City States with nothing else, and I don't really like playing it at all as a result. I'm not saying every civ should be a mishmash of three unfitting elements like the Netherlands, but Ottomans make sense as they are - trade however you wish with whomever you wish (or even yourself), then use siege weaponry + janissaries to kill some civs, all the while gaining more science from your good UB. I wouldn't mind a different take on the UA, but I don't want them to become pure trade/pure war civ. That's boring, and we have tons of such as is. More mixed ones are needed as long as they aren't Netherlands-tier in this regard, so it's okay as is. I'd prefer just a bit more yields or something to Ottomans, or maybe another element like "+1 Trade Route for every conquered capital (or CS?)" so they're even more unique, but that's probably too strong. Especially considering they don't seem that weak at all to me, so maybe they need nothing.
I think the siege foundry and janissary are both solid, and I'm fine with a trading warmonger, design wise there are no complaints on my end. The UA just seems very low impact. Optimistically its like 2 food, science, and gold per trade per turn, which would pretty clearly be a really bad UA IMO (look at Morocco or Portugal, two civs that people pretty consistently put in the bottom). But the yields are delayed and risk being pillaged, so its even worse than that

I think the siege foundry and janissary are both solid, and I'm fine with a trading warmonger, design wise there are no complaints on my end. The UA just seems very low impact. Optimistically its like 2 food, science, and gold per trade per turn, which would pretty clearly be a really bad UA IMO (look at Morocco or Portugal, two civs that people pretty consistently put in the bottom). But the yields are delayed and risk being pillaged, so its even worse than that

I think the yields are much higher than that. You can also spike wonders with the bonus production.

G

You sure? I think it's like 5 yields per turn, so on par with Portugal/Moors.

If my international trade route lasts 20 turns i get 100 food production and science
If my international trade route lasts 30 turns, do I get the same yields ?

According to Wiki, yes. But I was actually pointing out that your original statement was hard to follow. The two sentences seem to contradict each other. (It's clear now.)

Top Bottom