P666-04 : Yet Another Trash Game

If you got CR cannon you don't need CR grens!

charismatic weak? :lol: it's one of the most powerful traits in the game!!!

Err.... What I meant was: something easier. I must start reading my posts twice again... This "hurry, the time is up and you have to go home" stuff is turning me into an "ununderstandable" (is that a word?) guy.... Sorry.
I just don't know how to play with it. :blush:

About Cam's game, I'll try to give it a shot tonight. :)

Afterthoughts

general stuff :
- I don't like conquest!
- Genghis Kahn is painful to get down.
- Vassals are great (IMHO)
- The hwacha is really good : long lasting and powerful, + catapults are my favourite unit anyway
- the seowon is kind of unimpressive. Did any of you feel the difference?
- protective is a rather good trait when you have it, and a very painful trait when the AI has it
- I have the feeling that Korea is better suited for late domination or space
- a moderate size pangea isn't the most interesting map (sorry guys. It was my idea, but this game didn't go the way I thought it would.)
- with a roster full of prince+ players, prince isn't enough of a challenge (duh!)

strategic stuff :
- the great wall is good when you go for conquest IF you raze your way to conquest. If you keep vassals with loads of cities, it's useless (sorry guys, I really thought it was a good move)
- the oracle is good when you go for conquest if you use it to get a military edge :(
- monarchy is :cool: for happiness. Happiness isn't winning wars.
- loads of canons and grenadiers can take over the world with ease. No need for anything better. Heck, loads of hwachas and macemen could have done the trick!
- canons, grenadiers, macemen, catapults are slow = not good for conquest without railroads
- numbers are the way to go for overwhelming a neighbour : the AIs capitulate faster when you have a huge army. You can then turn to the next target fast.
- it takes a few turns to be able to talk to you victim = declaring before you can actually attack isn't always a waste + your vassals can take the hits :lol:

I appreciate the friendly interest in my game. I apologize for not having posted here for a long time, but I had some RL issues (= work) to deal with. The truth is that I haven't played the game all the way to 1820 because just when I was taking Kublai Khan to pieces he became the vassal of Genghis Khan. :sad: :cry: :mad: :crazyeye: Still, if you want to, I'll play the game to 1820 and you can see what you want to do with it.

I also have some comments to make about the lessons I learned from participating, and I would be very interested in being part of a new trash game.

Afterthoughts

general stuff :
- I don't like conquest!
- Genghis Kahn is painful to get down.
- Vassals are great (IMHO)
- The hwacha is really good : long lasting and powerful, + catapults are my favourite unit anyway
- the seowon is kind of unimpressive. Did any of you feel the difference?
- protective is a rather good trait when you have it, and a very painful trait when the AI has it
- I have the feeling that Korea is better suited for late domination or space
- a moderate size pangea isn't the most interesting map (sorry guys. It was my idea, but this game didn't go the way I thought it would.)
- with a roster full of prince+ players, prince isn't enough of a challenge (duh!)

strategic stuff :
- the great wall is good when you go for conquest IF you raze your way to conquest. If you keep vassals with loads of cities, it's useless (sorry guys, I really thought it was a good move)
- the oracle is good when you go for conquest if you use it to get a military edge :(
- monarchy is :cool: for happiness. Happiness isn't winning wars.
- loads of canons and grenadiers can take over the world with ease. No need for anything better. Heck, loads of hwachas and macemen could have done the trick!
- canons, grenadiers, macemen, catapults are slow = not good for conquest without railroads
- numbers are the way to go for overwhelming a neighbour : the AIs capitulate faster when you have a huge army. You can then turn to the next target fast.
- it takes a few turns to be able to talk to you victim = declaring before you can actually attack isn't always a waste + your vassals can take the hits :lol:

-conquest is ok, but very time consuming.
-most ais are annoying to take out and vassalize. it's tedious.
-hwacha is excellent. too bad a bad decision on oracle...
-we didn't notice seowon because we weren't going space and our CE was very bad imo (terrible city specialization for much of the game imo)
-i would say protective is poor for human great for ai
-agree, korea is best for space imo; domination not so much, not right traits
-i don't like pangaea generally but conquest is next to impossible on conts
-this game was far too easy, agreed
-i disagreed with GW from day 1. axerushing would've been better imo, but i was outvoted :)
-grens + cannons + drafted rifles is pretty much how i win my domination victories

other thoughts:

-can't emphasize it enough, city specialization was a problem for us this game
-we did well in warfare imo. japan fell very fast for example. we just got off to too slow a start i think.
-we had a bad leader for conquest *except* if we had nabbed construction off of oracle for early and often hwachas. i don't mean to beat a dead horse, but this was a costly mistake.

-all-in-all i think it was a clear victory. i hope some of the prince level players learned some stuff, but i don't know how much of a learning experience it was. tbh i don't think we played exceptionally well at times.
-i learned that this format of game isn't really my thing :) i think it is a very good idea, but i just feel like it doesn't lend itself overly well to discussion because you have to constantly relearn the save because you are inheriting someone else's turns. at the very least it makes discussion more difficult/time consuming :)

but, good luck on your next game, i think it is a good learning tool :)

Hwacha are very nice. Seowons not very relevant to conquest. Protective isn't a great trait but does give you stronger stack protectors/garrison troops to accompany city raiding seige units.

In terms of trash format I think that the learning doesn't come so much from talking as from looking i.e. loading other people's saves and seeing what they did different with the same map. In that sense its similar to gotm except you don't have to wait unil the end of the game.

A monarch trash game should provide a bit more challenge.

Hwacha are very nice. Seowons not very relevant to conquest. Protective isn't a great trait but does give you stronger stack protectors/garrison troops to accompany city raiding seige units.

In terms of trash format I think that the learning doesn't come so much from talking as from looking i.e. loading other people's saves and seeing what they did different with the same map. In that sense its similar to gotm except you don't have to wait unil the end of the game.

A monarch trash game should provide a bit more challenge.

yep
do we wait for Ojevind's save or shall I start the next thread?
I'd be glad to take a few weeks off = wait for Ojevind's save and just try to save this one for 1/2 weeks.

I'm in favour of a 2 week break or so. It seems people are a bit civ'ed out. I would like to come back to the thread eager and fresh. Having said that if you start the thread I'll be in:)

I could use a 2-week break. I'm doing 3 offline games to try different strategies. In 2 weeks I could finish them all!
But, as mice, I'm in whenever you start it!

I'm sorry for my absence; I have still been kept extremely busy by RL issues, and also, I reinstalled Warlords and didnt feel like playing the same endgame again. Anyway, it would have been cheating of a kind. I'd still be interested in another successiom game though; I should be somewhat less pressed for time soon. Did you start a new thread?

Öjevind Lång;5219104 said:
Did you start a new thread?

The general concensus is to take a short break of 2 or 3 weeks so that we can return to the thread fresh and keen. We are sleeping.

Top Bottom