Palace Corruption Exploit

Kriz said:
I just took a free palace jump to a bigger continent in GOTM 40, to get a productive stronghold there. I intended to immediately build a city next to my new capital, but got attacked by a large force, so I had to retreat my settler. Presently I am building up a force to take some nearby towns. However I notice that indeed my old core cities experience less corruption. So I realize I'm inadvertently enjoying the benefits of the exploit :blush:. What should I do? Should I quit GOTM 40? Or should I just play it out and await the judgment?
Not an ideal situation. One settler is not enough - you really needed 7 or 8! You really should have set-up the core first, and jumped the palace later. Also - what did you use to build the capital?

Send me your save to gotm@civfanatics.net and I'll have a look for you.

ainwood said:
Not an ideal situation. One settler is not enough - you really needed 7 or 8! You really should have set-up the core first, and jumped the palace later. Also - what did you use to build the capital?
I don't know how Kriz has done it, but my guess is that situations like this come up since your army is far away in foreign land, you need a bridgehead, you capture a city and jump your palace there (with a leader presumably) to prevent it from flipping. Then you start taking the other cities as well and you have your new core. :D

Even if that were the case, everyone knows its disallowed thus you wouldn't jump the first city.
And besides you would sensibly start a war with enough units to take more than one city. Then you would no doubt have to wait out the resistors before you could rush the palace, so this leaves plenty of time to setup your core by taking a few more cities. Doing otherwise looks too much like the exploit but is also a bad idea because without the exploit you just sunk yourself, a palace in a single city on enemy territory with no way to take more cities or build settlers.

I'm not sure I follow the original explanation, how did he get that initial city and jump his palace?

ainwood said:
Many of you are aware of an exploit in PTW and vanilla Civ, where the corruption of your empire can be greatly decreased if you move your palace/capital to a remote location, well away from your core empire.
Therefore: You must not rebuild the palace in a location remote from the majority of your empire in order to gain a significant corruption advantage".
to make sure, Does it legal to build palace in COTM(not gotm) for other purpose, such as build it in order to magicly teleport massive troops?

It is legal to rebuild (or Jump) your Palace to any city that has about OCN/2 cities around it. Roughly 8 or so for Standard size, a few less for smaller maps, a few more for larger maps. The exploit happens when the Capital is isolated from the rest of your empire, so you want to avoid this.

It is not legal to teleport any units to your capital, let along massive amounts of units. You should avoid this by moving any units out of a city you are about to gift.

do you kingly update the rules page or guide me to the right thread?
I get rule from 3 pages:
index thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=71788
rule page1:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/rules.php
rule page2:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=73719
rule page3:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/gen/rules2.shtml

and I cann't find the teleport-banned rule,
furthermore,
though I don't use the teleport trick,
I want to learn whether I have use some banned trick in my former submission, since GOTM is mostly a honour system.

Well the Palace Corruption Exploit is discussed to a great length in this thread. In this post on Page 2 ainwood describes the rough rule of OCN/2 cities around the new Palace location. The key point is to avoid gaining an exploitive advantage in reduced corruption by moving your Palace far away; there isn't a hard and fast barrier that defines when this is exploitive and when it is not, so the general 'roughly OCN/2' limit is used.

You may move your Palace at your discretion, as long as it does not exploit the reduced corruption bug.

Moving your Palace to perform a massive Teleport has been considered exploitive by GOTM for a while. It is not explicitly listed on the Bugs and Exploits table, but note this section on the 1st Visit to GOTM page:
If you wish to take advantage of a bug or exploit not listed then you must contact the staff via Private mail for a ruling on whether or not it will be allowed.
The ruling has consistently been that Teleporting Troops to a Capital is exploitive.

I've updated the main rules page to include a note about teleporting troops using a palace jump. I've also put a redirect in to bypass that old rules page you managed to dig up. I can only assume you found the link on an old game release page.

Thanks muchly. I keep ending up in different rules pages too. I can't say how to get to each of them, just that whenever you try to get back to one you remember, you can never find the way. You just always seem to stumble on them when least expected. A bit like walking out the back of a wardrobe and ending up in Narnia eh? :confused:

Top Bottom