1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch 1.09 released!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Borgholio, Nov 23, 2005.

1. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

psyringe
    Little confused. I praised Hark. I cut on firaxis for not solving it before Hark. In no way would I cut on someone who made the game playable for me.
    My point is that firaxis should have beat Hark to the solution. Not the other way around. No offense Hark.

Again, I think Hark did a great job. I did not say firaxis must have had the same idea. I said they should have. Out of the box, in the box, who cares. They wrote the game. They know the game. If tested properly I believe they should have been able to patch this problem.

Personally I believe you are just trying to start an argument here. Because I said something. And that is truly sad.

I will state this again for those who may confuse things.
    1) Hark did an outstanding job in identifing a problem and solving it on his own.
    2) Firaxis should have been able to indentify this problem and then solve this problem.
    3)Firaxis should get with Hark and discuss what he found and how he was able to solve this issue.

I will add one more thing. Firaxis should get with Hark and offer him whatever he wants for fixing an issue with there product. One that they were unable to fix.

psyringe If you want to argue, find someone else I to tired to play this back and forth with you today.

Thunderfall if this is truly a fan website, you should look at Harks work and post it on the front page. So those who are having problems will be able to play this game. Hark deserves all the credit for this.

So far with Harks patch I am able to play this game.

THANK YOU HARK

2. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

I certainly don't want to argue about that. Actually my point was that Harkonnen's achievements should not be abused for any kind of arguments, which you did by using it for another round against Firaxis. I think that his achievements are far too good to be abused this way.

Your point was that Harkonnen's idea is great, but that the game designers, having the better resources, were to be expected to get it first.

My point is that Harkonnen's idea is actually so great and clever that this was not to be expected, no matter how much resources the designers have.

This is why I think you're diminishing his achievements.

And I agree that we should not argue further about this subject. This would be a disservice to Harkonnen.

3. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

Psyringe, blue3c
    I think you both are saying good words to me (hop so :) ), just some very-good-words sometimes need to be read 3-4 times to see how good they are. No offence to anyone, and let's stop that... again, no offfencce.

Psyringe
    That's the future of my patch, but this will require me to match vertex and index buffers at 'draw-primitive' call which isn't so easy. I think modifying 'dds' files will make it better.

As I explained in memory-fix thread, the fact that antialiasing of 2-4 gets 2-4 times slower proves too-small-triangles hypotesis.

Slow globe view with a lot of cities proves it as well.

4. bio_hazard

bio_hazard Prince

Harkonnen- you should put a link to this in your signature!

Is your fix likely to work on a slightly-out-of-date laptop? compaq presario 2195 US, 1.8ghz Althlon 2500, Radeon 320M, 512MB ram. My game is more stable after the 1.09 patch but still has memory problems (I left it running the other night for an hour and it had crashed when I came back). Also, I have the black terrain...

5. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

bio_hazard
    At least I've become "warlord" through writing this patch. Before it I was just a reader playing C3C :)

Well, just give it a try... I don't know for sure. Many people not only had their game running smoother, but also got visual problems fixed. Also this patch worked (and improved playability) for 64Mb video memory configurations, I didn't expect this either.

6. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

I have an old pIII that I am going to test this on with low res tonight. I am curious to see if this works on even this lowly machine.
    its a pIII 1 ghz, 512mb ram, sb live game, geforce3 ti 64mb, 200 gb drive. xp pro sp2, win2000 and mandrake installed with the latest and greatest drivers.

7. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

blue3c
    Heh, my system is close to that, except video is better :)

8. Philips

Philips Chieftain

They aren't being abused. It is an excellent point.

If the problems with the game are easy enough for an individual working in his spare time to fix, then they should have been fixed sooner by a company with a staff of professional programmers. Especially since it is taking peoples money for this program.

On the other hand, this makes me worry about the future of Civ IV, especially since Take2 bought Firaxis.

9. oldStatesman

oldStatesman Cybernaut

I vote that Harkonnen should recive a "Civ4 Golden Hammer" award for tenacity and persistance chipping away at this issue...

Outstanding, Mr. Harkonnen! :goodjob:

10. JFLNYC

JFLNYC Producer

I just wanted to add my thanks to Hark. I run a P4, 2.8 Gig PC with an NVIDIA 5700 FX Ultra video card, and I upgraded to 3 gigs of RAM to accommodate CivIV.

The 3 gigs of RAM eliminated almost all crashes, but the game, especially towards the end, would run sooooo sloooooww, especially since I like to play on huge maps. Hark's fix makes a great, positive difference, even though I run at medium graphics.

My video card is 128 megs and my AGP aperture is 64 so, originally, I tried to compute the formula myself and ran at 92 on video memory usage. I've now tried 72 (splitting the difference between 64 and 80, since I'm running at medium graphics). Occasionally, I lose graphics in a popup leader screen or wonder movie, but no biggy. I'll try both 80 and 64 just to see which is best. (IOW, I basically have no idea what I'm doing! :crazyeye: )

Again, my thanks for saving me lots of time and frustration.

11. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

Okay - it's easy to bash Firaxis if something concerning Civ IV is not working. Dear Firaxians - I'm apologizing for my post. Because I made the fault - I should have recognized that the 1.09 patch changes the civilization4.exe as well and that my firewall - like with any new program - will ask for admittance if this program wants to access the Internet. This caused the hangup. I made an entry in the firewall settings for the 1.09 - exe, and tadaaa - direct IP works as fine as before. The patch has solved my sound problems, and the wonder movies - though seemingly a little bit choppier than before - run now with unbroken sound and a little bit faster. Added to that, I'm able to play large maps on MP games in a fair and smooth speed. Well, sometimes the biggest mistake sits ind front of the computer... :D

Regards,

Lord Timon

12. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

In software development, we call that PEBCAK- Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard.

:D

13. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

Well it worked. Again this is why I was not posting.

Note to t2/firaxis, if I am playing I am not complaining. LOL.

Ultimate test is tonight. Lan game between 5 computers. woo hoo. :crazyeye:

14. ledhed

ledhed Chieftain

well I seem to have solved the problem...I just went and bought a new computer with a petium(r) cpu 3.00 ghz / 2.99ghz @ 2 gigs of ram , with a ge force gtx 256 meg nvidia graphics card...so it only cost around three thousand dollars to solve the problem .:crazyeye:

The game runs like a [Deleted] after a rock .

Moderator Action: Watch the expressions and language please.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

15. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

So, quickly?

16. ledhed

ledhed Chieftain

hot seat game with 9 players late in the game ...no problems . File size over 546mb ..the largest I ran before was 469 .

17. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

Love the patch. Wasn't sure at first about it, but now that I have had plenty of time to get to know the game I am satisfied. This doesn't mean I am no longer upset about the whole release fiasco - Firaxis still has plenty to do in my opinion before they redeem themselves in my book, but it is a fine start. Only issue I have so far is the 5 minute re-load time, and that is something I can live with as I do not re-load the game much while playing.

18. zerokarma

zerokarma Chieftain

Ok...... so when does the next patch come out?

I just want the wonder movie choppiness to be fixed now.

19. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

They can't give a fixed date. Any patch has to go through QA, and may be rejected by QA, so they have to work on it again etc. Generally, patches are ready when they are ready.

20. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

What are the main advantages in applying the 1.09 patch?