1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch 1.09 released!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Borgholio, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

2. ledhed

ledhed Chieftain

I have a hotseat game I could only play a few turns with before a CTD before the patch going for almost three hours so far..no problems.

3. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

ledhed
    Do you mean 1.09 patch alone or my memory-fix with that patch?

4. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

That RAM purchase put me up to 1Gb of memory. Although I am peeved at BestBuy, the memory was in the row with a price tag of 75$ but when I checked out the price was actually twice that. I bought it anyways, but still....

Oh! And the game runs wonderfully - albeit I haven't gotten very far in the game because I have been messin' around with all the bells & whistles. But I am sure nothing else could go wrong.

I really don't know why all you people are complaining about the game - works fine on my system. Must be something you did wrong :crazyeye:

5. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

I think what he is saying is he is pissed off. Are you saying 512 of ram is not enough. Hmm I am confused.
    Minimum Hardware
    Operating System: Windows® 2000/XP
    Processor: 1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent
    Memory: 256 MB RAM (Windows 2000) / 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)
    Hard Disk Space: 1.7 GB Free
    CD-ROM Drive: 4X Speed
    Video: DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support ( GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c (included) or higher
    Recommended Hardware
    Operating System: Windows® 2000/XP
    Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent
    Memory: 512 MB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 1.7 GB Free
    CD-ROM Drive: 4X Speed
    Video: 128 MB Video Card w/ DirectX 8 support (pixel & vertex shaders)
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c (included) or higher If you need more help you can contact a technical support via email or phone.

Oh wait. If you believe these you believe that take2 firaxis actually tested the game with these settings. On more then one machine. LOL.
    testing and firaxis/take2. LOL.
    Hey lets release a patch. 1.08. whoops.
    hey lets release a patch. 1.09, so heres the plan we don't announce anything until a week after we do release it. That way if we still suck at testing (which we do). We can just pull it and go with 1.10. Yah thats it.
    Hey you stop working on the game and get back in that forum and post positive things about our game. Defend us. Cause dam we need it.
    Remember we are stalling until the expansion pack. We need more money. I mean who is going to pay for sid and soren to go around the world signing this game instead of working on it.

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling. Not a good start after coming back from your ban.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. Artanis

Artanis King

I finally got the patch to work! I finally finished my game and successfully resisted the temptation to start another, and reinstalled. It was the damnedest thing, too... I couldn't find any "uninstall" option anywhere, and Civ4's entry in Change/Remove Programs in the control panel didn't have a "Change" or "Remove" button, but the game was still running, and autoplay didn't give any install/uninstall option :dubious: . Had to manually explore the CD to find the setup.exe and run it from there.

Once I got it reinstalled though, the patch worked flawlessly. My loading times are cut in half (if not better), and bringing up the tile grid takes a fraction the time that it did in 1.00. Post-patch "default" graphics also performed better than prepatch "everything minimized and/or turned off" settings had, including messing with the .ini to disable screenshots.

:D :D :D :D :D

7. SuperSloth

SuperSloth Warlord

aargh!!! playing game on a huge map, but still seeing the crashes in the modern era just like in vanilla!!! so ive had it with this thing, im gonna shelf it until this gets resolved. the memory leaks are ridiculous. now it even crashes when i try to talk to other civs in modern eras! so ive had it with this thing, im gonna shelf it until this gets resolved.

8. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

SuperSloth
    Did you try solution at the top of this page? (post #681)

9. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

Can't wait to get home and try harks patch. only 1 hour 7min to leave, 15 min to get home, then start dl ing and installing. God I hope this works.

10. SuperSloth

SuperSloth Warlord

dosent the solution require that the game be played in windowed mode? i thouaght about justing wait for the next patch so i can play it in full screen with all the effects. but ill give your patch a shot anyway , thanks.

11. ledhed

ledhed Chieftain

I have not used the memory fix yet . Just the patch ...I am getting decent performance now on huge maps , with lag late in game that I can live with until my new rig gets delivered...if I have a problem then...:scan: :mischief: :crazyeye:

12. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

Well, I can't take out a final verdict on the 1.09 patch yet. I'm undecided. On the one hand it made Civ IV run on my Laptop with a 852 Intel Graphics Chipset :eek: - never thought this would work. On the other hand the patch seems to have screwed up MP games via direct IP on my desktop PC. Pre-patch things worked wonderful, I finished several MP games with a friend of mine with almost no problems. Post-patch the game just hangs up if I want to connect to his PC - and I made no changes to any of my settings ! Tried it two times, always same result: type in the IP, hit Connect, and ... yeah, music runs on and you can move the mouse, but everything else is just frozen like the north pole. Beautiful, but I just don't want to use Civ IV as a jukebox, as nice as the music may be though. I even can't return to Windows. Nice as hell. I'll now try to connect via Gamespy - and if this doesn't work either, I'll kick this patch off my system and go with good ol' v1.00. Don't ask me why I've patched, I don't know it myself :D . Fortunately I've made a system recovery check point in Windows, so I should be able to get back to pre-patch mode easily...

Regards,

Lord Timon

P.S.: If anyone has a solution to my problem - you're most welcome... :king:

13. SuperSloth

SuperSloth Warlord

hey harkonnen, i just tried out yur patch and i can say that i was shocked by the performance. the lag was almost nill in my late game. take2/sid should personally thank guys like you who can help cover up their mistakes. nice work:goodjob:

14. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

SuperSloth
    I'm happy to hear that :) I will rewrite my post there, so that less people get confused with 'windowed' mode. Windowed mode is preferrable if you want to go 'insane_mode=1' with frequent alt-tabbing, but it's not a must at all.

15. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

This patch was a godsend.

It fixed the chesire cat and black terrain bug. Now the game is at least playable!

16. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

Ok sorry about not getting back in here last night. But after getting the files for Harks patch and installing I found myself playing a game until 3 in the morn. Hark rocks!! I will try another game tonight.
    For all of you who are now thinking I will cut take2/firaxis some slack. Think again.
    This just shows that they are not working hard on any fix. Or if they are indeed working hard, they need to reconsider those who are coding and testing.
    In no way should Hark have been able to beat an entire company to patching a game. From what I understood in the mem thread, Hark picked up python tested with the help of others. Identified a problem. Solved the problem.
    Firaxis/take2 need to get with Hark ASAP and find out what they could not see. I understand a second pair of eyes is great sometimes. But I would think with the resources at Firaxis they should have seen these problems.

17. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

blue3c
    Thanks a lot! :) The most funny thing here is that this patch was created without any game source code... That's the cornerstone which will probably make game industry remembering this patch and treat it as a punishment for lazy coding.

18. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

I hope that Firaxis incorporates Harkonnen's patch, and that Harkonnen gets what he deserves for it. :goodjob:

However, I don't think that this is something that Firaxis must have seen. Firaxis was working with Gamebryo. If you read Harkonnen's thread, then you'll know that his patch optimizes memory use by applying a nifty low-level algorithm to reuse *parts* of the existng geometry that probably cannot be accessed from Gamebryo. This is a quite creative idea that requires serious out-of-the-box thinking.

Don't diminish Harkonnen's idea by saying Firaxis must have had the same idea much earlier. Please don't belittle his achievement by using it for a crusade against Firaxis.

Btw, I find it al little odd that by applying Harkonnen's patch, the game suddenly runs stable on your PC, when it wouldn't at all before. As far as I can see, the patch optimizes memory usage. If this makes your game more stable, then playing on smaller maps (which would have reduced memory usage as well) should have achieved the same effect.

19. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

Psyringe
    The only strange thing here is that Firaxis used Gamebryo engine (FPS-oriented as of Oblivion) for rather specific graphics like that one of Civ4/Pirates. As for me, it would be faster (in terms of development time) to code everything in D3D directly rather than adopting GameBryo layer to specific all-on-sphere/all-on-plane engine needs.

20. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Yes. There may have been suboptimal design decisions - perhaps because of lack of experience with 3d programming, but that's speculation. However, I think that they seriously overestimated the amount of geometry they could reasonably put in the graphics for a game such as Civ.

Since the triangles get very small, I wonder whether some performance could be gained by limiting display to triangles of a certain size (perhaps modified by view distance). There was a fan-made patch for Morrowind which did this. I'm not sure however; if *all* the triangles are small, it might not be worth it, because then they'll all be hidden when viewed from a certain distance.