Patches make game tougher?

VilleDick

Chieftain
Hey guys, I just downloaded the newest patch for Civ3 and found it much tougher to play than before. I'm the Persians on Monarch, exactly what I was last time I played and won. I'm finding it darn near impossible to keep up in the tech race. I'm 3 or 4 techs behind just about everybody and I had the Great Library. I got placed in the very bottom center of the map so maybe it's just my starting position but my question is does the new patch make the game more difficult? I'm hyped to get precision weapons and bomb certain targets which I couldn't do before but by the time I get that it'll be 3000AD.

I never noticed any difference in the patched versions. I think it probably has much more to do with start positions and luck...

They did some AI tweaking in various patches, but it shouldn't amount to any very considerable difference. As IbnSina says, it's probably your start location.

Alternatively, you're relying on some exploit that was patched away.

In the new version, the AI's research rate becomes the constant, and your research rate changes with the level. Before, your's was the constant, allow the AI on higher levels to research really really really fast. Like 700AD Diplo win fast.

Well that's a little more comforting to know. I figured being dropped 2 squares away from the tundra of the south pole wouldn't help. I'll just try and kick everybody's a$$ with my immortals in the meantime and probably lose the game. I was just worried that the patch made the AI a lot tougher.

Depends on which civ version you're playing with. If it's C3C, then the latest C3C version has a vastly different corruption model.

Top Bottom