1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

pbem Nu proposed

Discussion in 'Civ3 - PBEM Games' started by bathsheba666, Jun 17, 2006.

1. SpiffyKeen7744

SpiffyKeen7744 Prince

GPS to Azzaman333: Nu_010b_3550bc.sav

I am going to post a spoiler every 10 turns to keep track of things for myself. Of course, lurkers can take a look as well.

2. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Turn 10 ... Date : Blue Oyster Cult 3550 BC

Nice level of turn cycling guys :D

Onward to Business with the Byz

3. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

My experience is, as soon as someone compliments the game speed, it disappears.. :)

4. SpiffyKeen7744

SpiffyKeen7744 Prince

GPS to Azzaman333: Nu_011b_3500bc.sav

5. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

My experience is, when it disappears, its usually my fault.:mischief:

gps.

6. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Turn 11 ... Date : Blue Oyster Cult 3500 BC

7. SpiffyKeen7744

SpiffyKeen7744 Prince

Hey everyone,

Glad to be playing with you so far. The game seems to be zipping along in PBEM terms. :)

I have a question about the game, and epic PBEM games in general. I would imagine that a game is free for all unless otherwise stated. However, is there some sort of unwritten, agreed-upon rule for how to deal with human opponents. I would normally treat an AI opponent with no sympathy at all. If I ran into an AI opponent that had a bad start and was behind early on in the game, I would not hesitate to capture all their cities as early as possible. The same is true for poorly guarded outposts, so long as I had little fear of retaliation or if I could handle the consequences. I have no idea how close together we are, but since this is a huge map, I guess we would not engage each other for a while.

Also, since I normally play against the AI, I would imagine that my tactics would have to be re-invented. For instance, many times I only build offensive troops and have them positioned to deal with the kinds of threats that the AI is likely to make. In this game, I would guess that human players are much better at threatening an island from many points, and that I would have to keep all of my lands defended all the time. Also, if I was thinking about war, and I had sufficient troops handy, would it be appropriate for me to drop a couple of boatloads of troops next to undefended city I happened to run into? Is it common to keep costal cities unguarded in the early game (Ancient Age)? I am going to be building more troops than normal because of the number of barbarians on my island, but is it common to keep a much larger, more diverse force around in a PBEM game than in a single player game?

I though I would ask, since you are more experienced in such matters.

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I have never started a war in PBEM before, so I guess i am not qualified to answer part of your question.

Although my experience with war (from a game i was a replacement in) is that although you may have achieved your goals, the other player is unlike to sign peace and give you a small amount of anything, let alone multiple cities. Also, you cant assume anything, except war will come. Eventually, someone will attack.

Of course, there are leaders who will make alliances, and leaders who will break alliances, leaders who will try to war all the time and leaders who will try to avoid war at all cost, but if i told you who they were, it would spoil half the fun now, wouldnt it. ;)

9. bathsheba666

Spiff,

The games I have been in, I "get the impression" that there are a number of players around who attack other humans as a last resort, and the ai more readily or without compunction. Whether this is more fun because you then have the war at the end, and everyone is more developed, I don't know.

My very first pbem I assumed that, since I was the newbie, I would get dogpiled, so I built very early swordsmen and wiped everyone out. So paranoia won me the game, but I'm not at all sure that is how it's played.

In another game, I had a peace treaty, a buffer zone, and a research pact with the guy next to me. This lasted into the IA. At this point he stopped the research agreement, after I'd helped him through the MA, in order to deal with the only other Civ on my continent. (He had also annoyed me with his hardnosed and self-centred approach to deals and diplomacy)

So I attacked. He was furious, and filled the thread with his anger. He maintained peaceful development wsa the only way to play. I sought advice on the forum and from another regular playing partner, as to whether I had crossed any line.

The advice I got back was that anyone who plays the game without being prepared for an attack is a fool. Someone also commented that, although they attack others (- including ai -) as a last resort if they're low on resources, they always look to the possibility of being attacked. Furthermore, they said in their experience everyone played it slightly differently, and this was what made pbems interesting and fun.

Over a number of games though, I guess you acquire a reputation of sorts, with people who have played with you before.

So, make it fun... ;)

10. bathsheba666

Spiff,

I re-read your post.
    I think you are right.
    I would stay on your island, and concentrate on building defences....
    ;)

11. SpiffyKeen7744

SpiffyKeen7744 Prince

GPS to Azzaman333: Nu_012b_3450bc.sav

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I was concerned about nothing. I plan to go for AI civs first anyway, if it is possible. On an island world, the AI is not too much of a threat. I can't wait to get surprised in battle with real opponents! (Or I could wait around, acting docil on my own island. I could put troops on all coast squares to block any invasion!)

In reality, my two boats, Cyril and Karas, are already looking for friends and enemies.

12. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Turn 12 ... Date : Blue Oyster Cult 3450 BC

Desparately seeking luxes on this barren lump of dirt.

@spiff ... some players also put more honour into agreements and if these are broken, the player who is deemed untrustworthy could keep that reputation beyond the game ... or even be spurned from other games.

Winning a game is less inportant to how one plays it ;)

13. bathsheba666

gps Nu_013a_3400bc.sav

Our city is ablaze :(

14. SpiffyKeen7744

SpiffyKeen7744 Prince

GPS to Azzaman333: Nu_013b_3400bc.sav

The barbarians are getting really annoying. I need a warrior pump soon. I may even pop-rush my granary just to get that production back for military.

15. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Turn 13 ... Date : Blue Oyster Cult 3400 BC

16. bathsheba666

gps Nu_014a_3350bc.sav

17. SpiffyKeen7744

SpiffyKeen7744 Prince

GPS to Azzaman333: Nu_014b_3350bc.sav

18. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity