PC and Mac Civ 4 / Warlords

Sandman2012

Chieftain
I've got a buddy with a Mac who loves playing Civ 4. We play hotseat at my house, but I'm wondering if Civ 4 and/or Warlords are cross-compatible for online play. In other words, can he and I play a game together even though he has a Mac and I've got a PC.

Yes, you should be able to. Check out a couple of recent threads near here that include information about network play. You need to use the Direct IP option, as there is no cross-platform hosting service. If you are in different locations then you may need to configure firewalls and routers to allow the connections.

Direct IP shouldn't be a problem. How about Warlords with the patch. Does the Mac version of Warlords that just came out work with a patched PC version of Warlords?

No, that will not work until there is a patch to bring the Mac version to 2.08. And I have heard that the original version of Warlords doesn't work with the Mac version either. But vanilla works fine cross-platform.
Is there any info on whether there will be a patch for the Mac Warlords and if Warlords will eventually be cross-OS compatible? Both of us would rather play Warlords than Vanilla.

Is there any info on whether there will be a patch for the Mac Warlords and if Warlords will eventually be cross-OS compatible? Both of us would rather play Warlords than Vanilla.

Anyone? My buddy's only gonna buy the game if he knows we can play online together.

I don't know anything for real. But judging from the way ported games usually work, there will be a patch to 2.08, and it will be compatible with the PC version. I was disappointed when Warlords came out that it wasn't the 2.08 version, since even though the OSX version comes later on ports like this it is usually the same as the PC when it does come out. I think that the 2.08 update happened too close to when Warlords for OSX was ready to go.

Someone here claims that you *can* play PC-Mac Direct-IP without the patch at version 2.00.

Yes, my cousins and brother and I all play Warlords together with them on PCs and me on my MacBook Pro. However, we have not patched the Warlords to 208 on their systems because of the version incompatibility. Yeah, it kinda pisses us off, but there's only one noticeable side effect. Whenever we start a LAN game, the game starts out of sync, and I have to relog in order to fix the sync problem. Just a simple relog is all it takes, but it is a tad annoying. So, if you want to play together, just don't let the PC version patch, and you'll be fine. :)

-Grimvisage

Top Bottom