Peaceful Culture Seems Impossible?

If anyone else on the map is also going for a cultural victory it seems like it's completely impossible to win without destroying them. The amount of tourism you can generate is so low compared to the amount that they get in their defense that unless you're lucky enough to get enough land to settle three or four times as many cities as them and also have that land be suitable for parks and resorts you're left with no recourse but to invade an take them out and if you're strong enough to do that you're probably in a position where you could just win Conquest.

Is there any way to win without having to go on a murder spree?

Are we talking about single player or multiplayer here? I don't think I've ever seen an AI be able to match you in a head-to-head lategame tourism war at least

Winning cultural victory is frustating if you neglect Faith.
They actually goes hand in hand. Think of relics and religious tourism.
I won a religious victory, but if I chose to wait, maybe I'll win culture victory as well due to tons of relics. I was playing Egypt.

Well I was recently playing a game as Kongo and in order to win I needed something in the range of 330 to win. Even after teching Computers and building Seaside Resorts where I could I still wasn't pulling anywhere close to that. There just doesn't seem to be any way to pull ahead in that game without killing off my rival, Russia.

Do you have open borders with everyone?
Do you have trade routes coming into their cities?
Do you have national parks and lots of wonders?

I only have one National Park but I've got most of the Wonders in the game. I'm definitely not trading with everyone though. I'll have to see how much of a difference that makes.

From my religious play with Cleo, Holy Sites and Wonders are where tourists usually flock. Build Holy Sites on all of your cities. Build cities on all of the usable space.
There is a tourism bonus if you have trade routes to other cities.
There is a great person who give you tourism bonus.
Good to spread your religions everywhere, and be suzerain with Kandy if possible, for bonus relics when finding natural wonders, and build that Mont wonders where every apostles have martyr promotions for insta-relic when dead. Be Suzerain with Yerevan, for guaranteed Proselytizer promotion, to wipe out other religions fast.

The answer is: Not nearly enough. I'm convinced there must be a bug or something. There's way I'm only 96 Foreign Tourism total after having teched Computers, got most of the Wonders and getting Mary Leakey to give me the 300% to Tourism from Artifacts. (Which I've naturally gone all in on being Kongo.)

I played 2 games on quick speed, pangea as England over the weekend, both cultural wins, one on emperor at turn 201, and a second on immortal at turn 170.

I ignored great artist/writer/musicians and went full archaeologist (England get more with their UA). I basically tech up like normal, going commercial/Industrial/campus districts to start my cities except I open my coastal cities with with Royal navy dock (no district count as it's a UD). About mid way through the game, maybe around 1300AD, I start sending out settlers to settle cities near various coast with smooth lands (for future sea side resorts) and also luxury resources. I would never grow these cities past 2 pop so they wouldn't drain amenities, I would build Royal navy dock (no scaling cost, because again it's a UD) and then I would usually chop a theater district.

Running a merchant republic and getting purchase discount legacy bonus I would simply buy buildings like amphitheater, archaeologist museum, builders and archaeologist in my pop 2 cities. Most of these cities were settled on the other side of the pangea so it's a different continent, therefore often get a free musketman for barb protection while you move your builder around chopping and improving luxury.

I was able to build so many archaeologist that I mined the map out of shipwrecks and dig sites. in fact I even bought an art museum in my last few colonies rather than archaeologist museum to use some of the artist I was getting (you get them regardless if you build theater districts). Key wonders are Eiffel Tower and Cristo Redentor, so prioritize Steel in science and Media in civics.

Had a lot of fun with this strategy, felt like England sailing around the map and making my pop 2 "colonies" can't wait for a terra map to be released.

will be trying it on Deity when I get a free night this week.

There are techs after computers that give you gov policies that further boost tourism.

what difficulty? I've easily won peaceful culture victories below deity. It's all about spamming cities to maximize theatre districts...more great people, more slots for great works/artifacts, etc.

national parks aren't a huge deal. Build 1 maybe. Neither are wonders except for a few exceptions (Eiffel Tower is great, Bolshoi for slots, etc.). Great works, archaeology, and seaside resorts are the most important. Along with the appropriate policy cards at the very end of the tree.

I had a problem with culture victory taking much longer than usual when there was one runaway A.I. and the rest were weak. Not only did the runaway have a lot of domestic tourists, the other civs ran out of domestic tourists for me to turn into my tourists.

Have a look at the below link. Its the start, will make a full guide but what everyone says is true.
Some key things
  • Getting civics boosts really helps a lot with domestic which can make the oppositions victory twice as hard as yours... and you only have to beat them by one turn so get the domestic tourists up.
  • Trade routes and open borders area must which means peace and diplomacy
  • One of your best diplomacy items is additional luxuries, even the unfriendly opponents will ask for them in a deal making them a little happier.
  • War will come, especially from other high end culture hungries when you overtake them. Be ready and settle a battle city near their borders for a fun war on your terms. Big bonus this as they have just ended up with everyone hating them for warmongering and borders will close to them.
  • Population counts for very little, do not push your cities at all, instead push your settlers, get those amenities and trade locations close to all other civs. It also gives you more chance to settle a nice strong natural wonder and lots of archaeology. You do not need 15+ cities either. location, location, location. Iused to play 20 cities but now rarely go past about 12 but if I see a lonely luxury its always worth sitting a settler on top of it. You should be so amenity rich it does not matter and you now have more trade value.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-tourism-is-calculated-and-a-culture-victory-made.605199/

Last edited:
I think it's pretty easy tbh. Even if you don't have any wonders, national parks or seaside resorts it's still doable. The biggest source of tourism are great works and artifacts, as well as using all the lategame tourism cards, and of course using all diplomatic possibilities to increase tourism modifiers (open borders, government types, trade routes etc). Lategame you should be getting 5-10 visiting tourists per turn with that on Emperor or similar, on Deity probably more like 4-5. Depends a bit on what other civs are in the game regarding how many visiting tourists you need to win though

I mean with amphitheater + museum + broadcast center you can have 5 great works per city. Even with only let's say 6 cities, that can still support 30 great works. That's a hell of a lot of tourism with all modifiers added on top. Plus there's the palace and a bunch of wonders which give even more slots

I find im able usualy able to pull away when the late game tech (computers) / wonders and policys hit (Social Media). Try to stack as many +% on top of each other as possible.

A small point that i dont think anyone has mentioned is to steal great works. If your get the +2 levels to stealing it can be a nice way to boost your own and a good way to make sure to get your theming bonuses if you are doing art museums.

A small point that i dont think anyone has mentioned is to steal great works.
Except, in my experience it rarely works even if i have 2% chance of being captured, i always end up killed. There are probably hidden modifiers that makes your spies more likely to fail then what the mission tells you.
OTOH, it can be possible to trade for Great Works or Relics. You might have to give them 2 luxuries and some gold/turn but it can definitely help you.
Civs going for culture are probably less likely to trade those, but at least for relics, any civ that founded a religion will likely end up with a bunch of those due to their constant apostles spam and suicide-rushes into other apostles so you should be able to get a few of those to fill your temples (assuming you built some holy sites which you probably will do if you want Naturalists later).

If anyone else on the map is also going for a cultural victory it seems like it's completely impossible to win without destroying them. The amount of tourism you can generate is so low compared to the amount that they get in their defense that unless you're lucky enough to get enough land to settle three or four times as many cities as them and also have that land be suitable for parks and resorts you're left with no recourse but to invade an take them out and if you're strong enough to do that you're probably in a position where you could just win Conquest.

Is there any way to win without having to go on a murder spree?
Culture is easier on bigger maps now (the opposite of CivV)... just play a map with lots of civs and generally you just need to leech a very small number of tourists from everyone (focus your efforts on the culture gimps... it's very easy to take all their tourists) to put you over the top civ.
Wonders don't do that much for cultural victory anymore, except for Eiffel tower and Cristo Redentor; you can ignore all the others. The main thing is to get a good number of cities running, and to get archaeologists fast (with shipwreck in the game it's easier to beat AIs to them). If you can pull off Eiffel tower on higher difficulties (sometimes hard to do, sometimes easy, depending on the AI) then you can just spam resort/national parks like no tomorrow. Dunno what you are doing wrong but as peaceful Kongo 5-6 cities I can get at least 900+ tourism and I didn't even have all my great work slots filled yet,

Top Bottom