Pech Civilization (with custom icons)

Pech Civilization (with custom icons) 1.0

slicelonger

Chieftain
slicelonger submitted a new resource:

Pech Civilization - Acquire jungle riches from the lost White City as the Pech tribe

Updates with v. 1.0 (release version): Removed inherent +1 food to jungle tiles for balancing. Jungle Wood Mills now provide +1 food to jungle tiles after researching the Colonialism civic.

View attachment 462186 View attachment 462187 Leader
Wata, Pech god and creator of the White City

Civ Trait
Riches of the Lost City
Rainforest tiles provide +1 Gold, and allow the construction of Lumber Mills.
View attachment 462188

Leader Trait

Viper's Den
Melee and Ranged units receive +10 combat bonus when fighting inside districts.

Unique Buildings
White Walls
Ancient Walls replacement which is 25% cheaper...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
I feel like this civ would be actually decently balanced, and quite cool to play if you got rid of the tile bonuses on jungle. Allowing you to improve the tile with lumbermills sounds good enough.

Thanks. I'm going to look into the balancing in the next few days. I've been working on some other aspects, including getting custom icons in, fixing a couple of (cosmetic) bugs, and changing the leader bonus (giving a bonus to all units w/in home territory, instead of larger bonus within districts).

Up next is figuring out why the civ trait info isn't showing up on the info screen -- it was working before, and I can't see any differences between current and previous versions. Update today or tomorrow.

slicelonger updated Pech Civilization with a new update entry:

Bonus changes, custom icons, and bug fixes

Changelog
Custom icons for Civ, Leader, and Unique Unit!

Change to Viper's Den Leader Ability
  • Gave all units +7 combat within Pech territory
  • Removed +10 for Melee and Ranged w/in districts
Units were receiving +10 in opponent districts as well, which was unintended and counter to the concept of Pech as a defensive civ. It also conflicted/duplicated existing Melee and Ranged promotions, which can't (it turns out) be easily modified for just one civ....

Read the rest of this update entry...

I just wanted to say 2 things, slicelonger. First, I love your civ. I've played it (though not through an entire game) a few times and really enjoy it. Second, I hope you don't mind that I'm using it as a skeleton to build my own first civ, Yorkshire, from. Yorkshire will function vastly differently to Pech, but your civ has sufficient information to build off and as a complete modding newbie I needed that. I will, of course, be crediting you for your fine work (and probably linking this thread) when I'm ready to upload.

Thanks for the compliments! Of course you can use this as a base; using another civ/mod is how I learned how to build this one (shout out Rob Riley)!

I'll be uploading an update in the next few days. The jungle bonuses might be a touch too OP, so I've scaled them back a bit. I'll also be adding in some more custom artwork as well.

Been working on a new civ that I've just uploaded (Minoan); if you'd like, please check that one out and let me know what you think too!

In all probability I will, though it might take a while. I still need to finish my first Yorkshire leader and I have 4 others planned too. The thing I think I'm most interested in seeing if I can make it work is that each leader further modifies my civilization's UI. Basically, I have Ilkla Moor (an important part of the county's pride granting housing, culture and food) which each leader should (if I can make it work) modify per their realm of influence (Paulinus, 1st Bishop of York, adding a faith yield; Sir Titus Salt, industrialist, adding production; Mother Shipton, historical medium, adding culture; Richard of York, noble, adding great general points perhaps though that might be too powerful; and Betty Boothroyd, politican/Speaker of the House of Commons, adding influence points). I haven't seen another civ that modifies its own UI dependent on the leader chosen, so I'm not sure if it's possible. Anyhow, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I haven't seen another civ that modifies its own UI dependent on the leader chosen, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

It should be. My Pech civ creates a UI (jungle wood mill). In my case, bonuses are tied to a civilization trait, but it should be just as easy to tie to specific leaders instead.

If for some reason that doesn't work, you could just have each leader have its own completely separate UI, but just use the same iconography, name, description for them all, so it would appear to players as all the same UI.

But I think the first one will work. If it helps, I gave the Minoans bonuses to fishing boats in certain circumstances, if that can give you a head start on things.

The thing I'm not sure about working is that I have a basic UI which DOES work, however each leader must amend that ui itself. I've already found several checks for the presence of resources, improvements etc are missing from the basic game coding. The guy who did ToT (Hormel I think) brought that to my attention when I was struggling with adding a gold to farms and showed me his code so I could mimic that new check insertion. However, all those checks rely (I think) on items that already exist in the game. I suspect that I SHOULD be able to check for my own UI exists on a tile, but I'm not sure. I'm also wondering if I need to load the files in a certain order so the definition of the UI exists when the definition of each leader is inserted. I know that was the case with several old programming languages but have never even seen xml before.

If what I'm saying about leaders modding the UI doesn't make sense, let me give an example of how I see it working:

UI=Ilkla Moor, basic is +1 food, +1 culture, +1 housing (I might reduce that to half housing)
Ilkla Moor under Paulinus is +1 food, +1 culture, +1 housing, +1 faith
Ilkla Moor under Betty Boothroyd is +1 food, +1 culture, +1 housing, +1 influence
Ilkla Moor under Sir Titus Salt is +1 food, +1 culture, +1 housing, +1 production
etc

Last edited:
You should be good. Defining an improvement inserts a row into the Improvements table, so the game can check for it just like any other improvement. You'll have to add a custom Requirement set, but this is in place in the game code (in Beliefs.xml):
<Requirements>
<Row>​
<RequirementId>REQUIRES_PLOT_HAS_FISHINGBOATS</RequirementId>
<RequirementType>REQUIREMENT_PLOT_IMPROVEMENT_TYPE_MATCHES</RequirementType>
</Row>
</Requirements>

<RequirementArguments>
<Row>​
<RequirementId>REQUIRES_PLOT_HAS_FISHINGBOATS</RequirementId>
<Name>ImprovementType</Name>
<Value>IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS</Value>

</Row>
</RequirementArguments>

Instead of IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS, use IMPROVEMENT_ILKLA_MOOR (or whatever you name it), and you'll be good.

File order seems not to matter, from my experience with the game.

Yup, that's what I'm thinking. That's what I had to do (under guidance from the ToT guy) to check for farms. Good to know my thinking should be good though. Anyhow, sorry to take up so much of your thread discussing my work. Great work from you again. And much appreciation for the help.

Top Bottom