PerfectWorld3

In my opinion, there are way too much forests/jungles/hills/marshlands. It's hard to move from one nation to another without having to pass through/over them. Although they just add to the beauty of your script, it does kind of ruin gameplay. There has to be a balance between movement-costing terrain and flatland.

I don't know if it's because I've only played about 3 breif games on the script and have ended up on forest/jungle continents, but if not it would strongly recommend a decrease of at least 33%.

You're not supposed to be able to move to another nation without ever passing forests/jungle/hills or marshlands...
I cant even do that in vanilla maps on Medium rainfall or w/e its called (usually play on High though, so im biased).
Some clearings are nice for tactical significance though, so i agree on a decrease but def not anywhere near 33%.

I have tried to mess a little with numbers and I created great, mostly flat deserts and great plains near great jungles - for me it looks ok, but not so nice as original PW3 ;) And I still not figure out how to force script to create great taiga forests...

In my opinion, there are way too much forests/jungles/hills/marshlands. It's hard to move from one nation to another without having to pass through/over them. Although they just add to the beauty of your script, it does kind of ruin gameplay. There has to be a balance between movement-costing terrain and flatland.

I don't know if it's because I've only played about 3 breif games on the script and have ended up on forest/jungle continents, but if not it would strongly recommend a decrease of at least 33%.

If you open up the lua file, toward the beginning you can see many variables that you can adjust easily. Feel free to experiment! You can't hurt anything to the point where it can't be fixed by re-downloading.

If you open up the lua file, toward the beginning you can see many variables that you can adjust easily. Feel free to experiment! You can't hurt anything to the point where it can't be fixed by re-downloading.

I've found changing the zeroTreesPercent to 0.40 - 0.45 or so gives a really nice mix of large and small forests as well as the occasional 1-4 hex stand.

Now if only I could figure out why I start out in what's essentially Chile (20+ hex long, 1 - 3 hex wide plots bounded on one side by ocean and the other by impassable mountains) significantly more often than can be attributed to random chance.

My man, you are awesome! :worship: I've been waiting for this since Civ5 came out. You made me want to play it again. Once the patch is out I'll be only playing this! Just like I only played PF2 in Civ4... :goodjob:

Thank you, cephalo! I've been waiting for this script for a while. These maps are as beautiful as expected.

I agree with zambies's suggestion to turn up zeroTreesPercent (I set it to 0.42). But then, I also did the equivalent on PW2. Starting in the middle of a vast, solid forest just feels unfair to me.

A perfect world (for people who hate open terrain)

Really though, I like what this script is capable of, and looks extremely promising if I were to play around with the settings. Except as it is every map generation I get is almost pure rough terrain that makes things a little stale, with mountain ranges that would be awesome if there were one or two, instead of 5+. The amount of rivers generated devalues them, and basically allows almost every city to be a "river" city. The amphibious promotion is suddenly more valuable than the open terrain promotion for pure land combat.

EDIT: Yea, I'm really liking how easy you made your script to adjust. After playing around with the settings, I have been able to generate all sorts of interesting and varied worlds. Thanks for making such a great script. I would really suggest tuning down the rivers, hills, and mountains(but only a little in comparison to the other two) in the default settings though.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 754
  • Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 604
  • Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 553
I really like the worlds generated by this script, but the large number of texture errors (mostly involving mountains) where textures are either stretched or cut off in squares is a little distracting. Would it be possible to create the missing boundary textures?

Is it possible to hack this into multiplayer? I know Civ V doesn't support mods for multiplayer yet, but can I replace the Continents map with the PerfectWorld3 files and get it to work? Or some other way?

We play multiplayer a lot, and in Civ IV, PerfectWorld2 was the only map we ever played. We miss PerfectWorld in Civ V because the lack of multiplayer mod support that was in Civ IV.

Is it possible to hack this into multiplayer? I know Civ V doesn't support mods for multiplayer yet, but can I replace the Continents map with the PerfectWorld3 files and get it to work? Or some other way?

We play multiplayer a lot, and in Civ IV, PerfectWorld2 was the only map we ever played. We miss PerfectWorld in Civ V because the lack of multiplayer mod support that was in Civ IV.

This is something I'm hoping to fix in the future. I haven't got around to it yet though. Once the SDK is released I believe I can fix it properly.

I really like the worlds generated by this script, but the large number of texture errors (mostly involving mountains) where textures are either stretched or cut off in squares is a little distracting. Would it be possible to create the missing boundary textures?

I'm not sure what causes that yet.

Man, I cant believe I missed this when it was first released. Its the only map I played for Civ 4 (asides from some historical maps). Great job, and I like the graphical glitches that made a mountain next to my capital look like a tall hill, and some other glitches. It probably wasnt even intentional, but it adds to the variety of the landscape.

Is it possible to make the script avoid making land cross the y-axis sides of the map? AKA, have the y-axis borders of the map be all-water?

Is it possible to make the script avoid making land cross the y-axis sides of the map? AKA, have the y-axis borders of the map be all-water?

I would like this as well. At least until they can fix the Y-axis looping issues. Vanishing rivers can be rather annoying.

Using PW 3 v2, and it crashes the game every time I click on start.

find this:
--east west attenuation may be desired for flat maps.
mconst.eastAttenuationFactor = 0.00
mconst.eastAttenuationRange = 0.00 --percent of the map width.
mconst.westAttenuationFactor = 0.00
mconst.westAttenuationRange = 0.00

replace with this or something similar:
--east west attenuation may be desired for flat maps.
mconst.eastAttenuationFactor = 0.50
mconst.eastAttenuationRange = 0.08 --percent of the map width.
mconst.westAttenuationFactor = 0.50
mconst.westAttenuationRange = 0.08

After playing several games with this map script there are only two questions/suggestions I have:

1) This is not particular to this map script, it seems to happen in any map with a new world, but nonetheless - is there any way to make distribution of city states a bit more uniform? In games where I am using "Start on largest continent" all the civs start together and there might be one or two city states among us. All the other city states are in the new world so they don't come into play until much later. In some ways this is kind of cool, it gives you an incentive to reach the new world, but I would prefer to see more city states in the early game. I think this problem might be extra bad for me because I like to really overcrowd the maps, so that you can only fit about one city between capitals, so there isn't any room for city states.

2) I would also like to see another option for starting positions, somewhere between "Start Anywhere" and "All on the Same Continent". Make it so we are spread across several neighboring continents but there is still a 'new world'. This is only an issue on medium-to-large maps.

Great maps though :D Here's a holiday snap - I liked the way Japan ended up on this map.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0139.jpg
    Civ5Screen0139.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 773
I'm not sure what causes that yet.

You mentioned once before in this thread that you do a check for rivers between mountain tiles and remove the mountains. I've noticed that the screwy terrain (like ghost forest mountains) are always on the seam of the map with a mountain along a river. I've seen it 5 or 6 times now and it's always the case.

My hunch is that the sequence of events in which you're removing those mountains is hitting some sort of bug in the base code doesn't refresh certain data properly, and so the mountain is still store in a cache somewhere.

I'd suggest adding a check to that mountain removal routine that ignores it if it's too close to the seam, or altering the way you go about removing them so it can happen earlier.

Top Bottom