PerfectWorld3

With the other things you mention:

mconst.twistMinFreq = 0.02
mconst.twistMaxFreq = 0.12
mconst.twistVar = 0.042

These things are used to make what I called a twisted Perlin map. It's like a Perlin cloud pattern that has a variable frequency governed by a second Perlin cloud. There is a min frequency and a max frequency, and then the twistVar is the frequency of the cloud that perterbs the result between the two former frequencies.

I did not understand this at all, I guess I'll just leave it alone ....

Before you change these variables however, you'll want to reverse the polarity of the sub-space field to reduce the risk of a breach within the dilithium chamber. You don't want the chair you're sitting in to go supernova.

THIS I did understand ... and will now definitely leave it alone :lol:

thanks for the responses though, really enjoy the map !

mconst.twistMinFreq = 0.02
mconst.twistMaxFreq = 0.12
mconst.twistVar = 0.042

These things are used to make what I called a twisted Perlin map. It's like a Perlin cloud pattern that has a variable frequency governed by a second Perlin cloud. There is a min frequency and a max frequency, and then the twistVar is the frequency of the cloud that perterbs the result between the two former frequencies.

With this field:

mconst.mountainFreq = 0.078

Raising this value will make the mountain features smaller and more numerous. Lowering it will do the opposite.

After these two maps are generated, the twisted Perlin map and the mountain map are added together to form the final elevation map.

Can you explain a bit more about how your "twisted Perlin map" works? I am very interested in learning exactly what you are doing and how it works.

Thanks,
Sammual

Can you explain a bit more about how your "twisted Perlin map" works? I am very interested in learning exactly what you are doing and how it works.

Thanks,
Sammual

Here is a good article on making Perlin noise.

What I'm doing for the 'twisted' Perlin map is altering the exact place I am sampling in my main noise field according to the value in a second noise field. So instead of a uniform frequency across the map with similar sized features, my noise map is kinda stretched and shrunk in places.

Too awesome maps :goodjob:

As for the lollipop trees discussion. Would it be better if they were pink?
Because oh man, has real life got some examples of realism outdoing even the orange trees in that continent style..

Spoiler :

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but my point is, the realism aspect of having colorful trees other than green cant be debated :p
A continent undergoing some form of autumn / odd tree blooming season isnt unrealistic.

Wow that second screenshot has some definate weirdness in it. I specifically have code that eliminates side by side mountains with a river flowing between them. For some reason its not working in this case. I also see there's some forest on some of the mountains. It's right on the map border also.

Personally I really like the forest on the mountains! Jungle is a bit odd though.

Is it possible to run this just as a mapscript instead of a mod ?

(correct me if I'm wrong...) but if it's a mod, it won't track Steam Achievements

looks good though gonna try it out either way :thumbsup:

thanks

i used it as a 'mod' and got a couple of achievements while playing.

Wow that second screenshot has some definate weirdness in it. I specifically have code that eliminates side by side mountains with a river flowing between them. For some reason its not working in this case. I also see there's some forest on some of the mountains. It's right on the map border also.

I think that is the same bug, I have reporting a page ago - and if I understand corectly - there is no spoon - I mean moutain :p

Correction:
Took about 5 min for the map to actually load.

Heh, I'm thankful that lua is a much faster scripting language than python. In the Civ4 version of PW you could run errands while the map was generating.

i used it as a 'mod' and got a couple of achievements while playing.

Any idea which ones?

I played a whole game with mods, and later noticed that some basic achievements were not marked as completed.

I asked over in the Steam thread, and it was indicated to me that achievements were not tracked (i guess to prevent cheating through a mod?)

Although I did note that there are 2-3 achievements I did get when I used a mod....some achievements about using a mod :crazyeye:

Any idea which ones?

I played a whole game with mods, and later noticed that some basic achievements were not marked as completed.

I asked over in the Steam thread, and it was indicated to me that achievements were not tracked (i guess to prevent cheating through a mod?)

Although I did note that there are 2-3 achievements I did get when I used a mod....some achievements about using a mod :crazyeye:

You can place the LUA file from the mod folder into the roots Maps folder (accessed from the Steam Games folder) and play the game through the usual Single Player menu and unlock achievements using the PerfectWorld map script.

Ostensibly you could do this with any other mod, however that's a bit stickier because then you're editing core game files, so you'd want to back things up. The other problem is that in my experience Steam sometimes like to revert your files back for you, even if there's no patch update.

Hah thats why i took the screen, i found it very pretty with a river carving a canyon through the mountains, and some forests on one of the mountain plots tricking your mind into thinking its a lower altitude than the surroundings :)

Hi, is it possible to run this as Pangea map?

If you open up the map script code and turn up the landPercent variable, you can almost guarantee a pangaea, but there is likely to be some scattered minor islands.

I could edit the code if you like to make it Pangaea no problems if author does not mind.

I have no problem with that... except that I do like people to lose their fear of mucking around with the script. In this case its a super easy change. Most of the map constants are clearly labeled as to what they do, and if you mess up, its a small download. :)

Just wanted to drop in to say thanks and great work!
I've enjoyed your Civ4 map scripts greatly and this will definitely serve me hours of fun.

*thumbs up*

Any idea which ones?

I know I got at least the one for winning as Odu Nobunaga and the one for winning a combat on 1hp with a Japanese unit. The only 'mod' I was using was PerfectWorld3.

Top Bottom