PerfectWorld3

Wow, that sort of condsediration is really what will always make this the best damn map script for civ! Go with your gut, I'm sure we'll love whatever you end up feeling is best. If I can make one request though, it's that you also try to use the tile-set with the snake-like sandy desert dunes for at least one large Sahara-type desert (I believe you're already doing this). For some reason the vanilla maps rarely generate enough deserts in that style, and I think they're the absolute most beautiful terrain in the game.

Ok, I posted version 2. This version uses a smaller map for all sizes except huge. Generally when people want huge they want.. HUGE. I cleaned up the mountain ranges a bit so the mountains are slightly less scattered. I changed the way I cheat on river lengths and added a variable to favor watershed size over rainfall amount. And I am also using all continent styles now, except for jungle areas which use the Europe set. A random style is selected, and then cycled according to continent size.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to remove old versions? Should I remove old versions? I would have liked to keep my download count, I don't know if thats possible.

Hey cephalo, would you be willing to post the mod file as a .civ5proj or .civ5sln? I want to see if I can tweak the parameters more to my liking (less mountains, more desert, etc.)

Surely you can tweak that in the map file itself? There's no need for the project.

You mean the .lua file? I tried opening it up in ModBuddy, but it can only find those two file types.

Though perhaps I'm in one of my more obtuse moments.

You mean the .lua file? I tried opening it up in ModBuddy, but it can only find those two file types.

Though perhaps I'm in one of my more obtuse moments.
The "Open" menu option in ModBuddy has two choices. One is "Project/Solution" which filters out everything but the two file types you mentioned, but the other is "File" that has no filters and will open an arbitrary lua file just fine.

The Open With option doesn't appear when I right click on it. Must be a Vista thing.

The Open With option doesn't appear when I right click on it. Must be a Vista thing.

I use lua for windows. Then I can actually run the scripts for testing outside of the game. It has a shell extension that allows you to right-click and select 'Edit Script'.

Is it possible to run this just as a mapscript instead of a mod ?

(correct me if I'm wrong...) but if it's a mod, it won't track Steam Achievements

looks good though gonna try it out either way :thumbsup:

thanks

Is it possible to run this just as a mapscript instead of a mod ?

(correct me if I'm wrong...) but if it's a mod, it won't track Steam Achievements

looks good though gonna try it out either way :thumbsup:

thanks

Yes. I didn't even know that was an issue! Just take the .lua file from the mods folder and put it in your users Maps folder. Jeez, maybe the mod browser is a really bad way to publish a map script.

Yes. I didn't even know that was an issue! Just take the .lua file from the mods folder and put it in your users Maps folder. Jeez, maybe the mod browser is a really bad way to publish a map script.

Excellent ! That does the trick thanks!

Quick questions:

I want a Pangea style map (for now, as the AI has problems dealing with other continents...at least till the patch comes out...)

In the script there is the line of code

--Percent of land tiles on the map.
mconst.landPercent = 0.28

cranking this up will make more land, less water ? Anyway to control # of continents ?

Would you mind explaining/example how tuning these variables adjusts map size?

--default frequencies for map of width 128. Adjusting these frequences
--will generate larger or smaller map features.
mconst.twistMinFreq = 0.02
mconst.twistMaxFreq = 0.12
mconst.twistVar = 0.042
mconst.mountainFreq = 0.078

loving the map so far !

Excellent ! That does the trick thanks!

Quick questions:

I want a Pangea style map (for now, as the AI has problems dealing with other continents...at least till the patch comes out...)

In the script there is the line of code

--Percent of land tiles on the map.
mconst.landPercent = 0.28

cranking this up will make more land, less water ? Anyway to control # of continents ?

Would you mind explaining/example how tuning these variables adjusts map size?

--default frequencies for map of width 128. Adjusting these frequences
--will generate larger or smaller map features.
mconst.twistVar = 0.042

loving the map so far !

If you turn the land percent up, you have a very good chance of a pangaea.

With the other things you mention:

mconst.twistVar = 0.042

These things are used to make what I called a twisted Perlin map. It's like a Perlin cloud pattern that has a variable frequency governed by a second Perlin cloud. There is a min frequency and a max frequency, and then the twistVar is the frequency of the cloud that perterbs the result between the two former frequencies.

Before you change these variables however, you'll want to reverse the polarity of the sub-space field to reduce the risk of a breach within the dilithium chamber. You don't want the chair you're sitting in to go supernova.

With this field:

Raising this value will make the mountain features smaller and more numerous. Lowering it will do the opposite.

After these two maps are generated, the twisted Perlin map and the mountain map are added together to form the final elevation map.

Before you change these variables however, you'll want to reverse the polarity of the sub-space field to reduce the risk of a breach within the dilithium chamber. You don't want the chair you're sitting in to go supernova.

LOLOL :lol:

I have found a bug - not sure is it a script problem, but probably is.
There are few passable moutains - some even with feature or resource.
I am attatichng my save - those moutains are near scout.

PS.
<3 ur changes in v.2 :D

Attachments

• Gewar.Civ5Save
    768 KB · Views: 208
So... If I want to fix it, I should try to mess a litle with this?

--These attenuation factors lower the altitude of the map edges. This is
--currently used to prevent large continents in the uninhabitable polar
--regions. East/west attenuation is set to zero, but modded maps may
--have need for them.
mconst.northAttenuationFactor = 0.75
mconst.northAttenuationRange = 0.15 --percent of the map height.
mconst.southAttenuationFactor = 0.75
mconst.southAttenuationRange = 0.15

--east west attenuation may be desired for flat maps.
mconst.eastAttenuationFactor = 0.0
mconst.eastAttenuationRange = 0.0 --percent of the map width.
mconst.westAttenuationFactor = 0.0
mconst.westAttenuationRange = 0.0

Cephalo, you should see about getting the guy that did FullOfResources for Civ4 to add more settings to the WorldBuilder so they can be tweaked at will instead of changing and saving over and over.

Also, I changed the settings to:
mconst.twistMinFreq = 0.12
mconst.twistMaxFreq = 0.22
mconst.twistVar = 0.042
mconst.mountainFreq = 0.09

Among other slight tweaks regarding desert and ocean size. My results are attached.

Attachments

• LargePerlinMap1.jpg
    LargePerlinMap1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 909
  • LargePerlinMap2.jpg
    LargePerlinMap2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 822
  • LargePerlinMap3.jpg
    LargePerlinMap3.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 743
I started a few games with this map script not knowing what it truely did.. A few games later I decided to take a look on the forums, and I saw how advanced it was and decided to make a huge world and look around. This is what I found...
Spoiler :

Looks like Civ 4 creeped in... (Sorry for big size)

Top Bottom