Performance issues between turns - is this typical? what's the bottleneck?

solistus

Warlord
Hi all,

Long story short: I get surprisingly poor performance in CiV when the AI civs take their turns. Surprising to me, anyway. I know civ games always have this as their performance weak spot, but I feel like this behavior might indicate another issue.

It's not just the time between turns - the game runs at 1 or 2 FPS for the whole time between turns and the first couple seconds of my next turn. While I'm on my turn, I have 0 performance issues. I can zoom all the way out and jump around the map with only minimal choppiness. Every turn by the Medieval era, I sit at single digit FPS for a minute or two before the next turn starts. This happens for any reasonably sized map (I mostly play on Standard or Large), vanilla or NiGHTS.

All drivers are up to date, and benchmarks of disk and RAM I/O as well as CPU and GPU stress tests put my performance right where I expect for my hardware. Other games run fine. Everything is running at stock voltage and timings, no OCing. Hardware specs:

Phenom II x4 965 (4x3.4GHz)
Radeon 6950 2GB
8GB DDR3-1333 (4x2GB)
SSD boot drive, CiV is installed via steam on a separate SATA-II drive
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I'm running on High settings, 1920x1080, but I don't think it's directly related to GPU load - the issue is just as severe on each 'next turn' whether I'm zoomed in on empty ocean tiles or zoomed out watching my whole empire.

I'm guessing the bottleneck has to do with some terribly optimized use of pagefiles and/or CPU cores, or just broken game files, but that's a not-too-educated guess.

The time between turns seems a bit high, but not enough to make me think something may be wrong besides the general poor state of CiV's code. It's the fact that the game becomes totally unresponsive for the entire process that makes me think something is wrong. I can't move around the map while waiting on turns, the UI is unresponsive, and even unit animations (workers building, etc.) stop. Is this normal, or is the game supposed to be at least somewhat responsive between turns?

Hi all,

Long story short: I get surprisingly poor performance in CiV when the AI civs take their turns. Surprising to me, anyway. I know civ games always have this as their performance weak spot, but I feel like this behavior might indicate another issue.

It's not just the time between turns - the game runs at 1 or 2 FPS for the whole time between turns and the first couple seconds of my next turn. While I'm on my turn, I have 0 performance issues. I can zoom all the way out and jump around the map with only minimal choppiness. Every turn by the Medieval era, I sit at single digit FPS for a minute or two before the next turn starts. This happens for any reasonably sized map (I mostly play on Standard or Large), vanilla or NiGHTS.

All drivers are up to date, and benchmarks of disk and RAM I/O as well as CPU and GPU stress tests put my performance right where I expect for my hardware. Other games run fine. Everything is running at stock voltage and timings, no OCing. Hardware specs:

Phenom II x4 965 (4x3.4GHz)
Radeon 6950 2GB
8GB DDR3-1333 (4x2GB)
SSD boot drive, CiV is installed via steam on a separate SATA-II drive
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I'm running on High settings, 1920x1080, but I don't think it's directly related to GPU load - the issue is just as severe on each 'next turn' whether I'm zoomed in on empty ocean tiles or zoomed out watching my whole empire.

I'm guessing the bottleneck has to do with some terribly optimized use of pagefiles and/or CPU cores, or just broken game files, but that's a not-too-educated guess.

The time between turns seems a bit high, but not enough to make me think something may be wrong besides the general poor state of CiV's code. It's the fact that the game becomes totally unresponsive for the entire process that makes me think something is wrong. I can't move around the map while waiting on turns, the UI is unresponsive, and even unit animations (workers building, etc.) stop. Is this normal, or is the game supposed to be at least somewhat responsive between turns?

Sounds about right to me, although I would add that it does not release video memory pages also.

Lots of artifacts have been known to show up in unexpected places.

Having read the Ryan article on Nvidea (found in Pieceofminds) signature it looks like the game is optimized for multithreading of both GPU and CPU and until the hardware catches up, no one has the most optimized computer yet, which may be the reason the coding is not working as efficiently now.

Top Bottom