Permanent addition of Modmods

I agree - it would be even more convenient if we could choose which mods we want to include in the game by "ticking" them in the main menu (as I currently do - or undo- for instance, for revolutions and/or barbarian civilizations and/or dynamic names). If feasible, I think an addition like this would keep things tidier and make life much easier (at least for me).

That's not quite what I meant, the options of the game startup are controlled by the SDK. I was implying a standard forum post for only modmodders displaying all the addons available.

I don't know why WoC team added those MLF control files in the form they did - those files do not seem to support modular format at all so you can only have 1 control file in each directory and at the same time the WoC team improved other modular functions greatly.. I hope MLF control files will be also modular in future ie. each directory could have multiple control files (different filenames) - this requires SDK changes of course.

Another thing about modmods - I've now checked some of them and seems that some modders do not yet fully understand the WoC modular format and instead they still use the BtS format meaning if they add something to the RoM's default units, they include this units all xml modifiers in their module while they should only add the changed xml modifiers to their module. As an example Vincentz Jungle camp mod does it the wrong way. WoC SDK takes care of reading the mod's default unit XML and then it merges the changes from all modules the specified xml modifiers.

Now you might ask "Why should I use WoC format instead of BtS default?". Because with WoC several modules can apply changes to default stuff and in BtS format only the last loaded will be applied. So please try to always from now on make modules in WoC style and if you change some default RoM objects to behave differently, only have the changed xml modifiers in your module. If you do not, then you probably break other modules and cause all kinds of conflicts between different modules.

Another thing that I recently thought was that each module could probably add modular concept info to sevopedia's RoM concepts list - I'll have to test if this is possible to make. This way each module could have "readme" inside the game in RoM concepts pages. :)

Anyway, I can add some smaller modmods to main modpack in future versions. They could be located in Unloaded Modules just like the few other modmods already are or I could have them enabled by default, if I think they're great addition to the RoM ;)

Another thing about modmods - I've now checked some of them and seems that some modders do not yet fully understand the WoC modular format and instead they still use the BtS format meaning if they add something to the RoM's default units, they include this units all xml modifiers in their module while they should only add the changed xml modifiers to their module.

I didn't actually know that.

I will fix and re-upload :)

Could any of the main modmodders prepare a single file containing all the modmods and the installation steps (including how to exclude a not-wanted modular modmod)?

I don't know why WoC team added those MLF control files in the form they did - those files do not seem to support modular format at all so you can only have 1 control file in each directory and at the same time the WoC team improved other modular functions greatly.. I hope MLF control files will be also modular in future ie. each directory could have multiple control files (different filenames) - this requires SDK changes of course.

Another thing about modmods - I've now checked some of them and seems that some modders do not yet fully understand the WoC modular format and instead they still use the BtS format meaning if they add something to the RoM's default units, they include this units all xml modifiers in their module while they should only add the changed xml modifiers to their module. As an example Vincentz Jungle camp mod does it the wrong way. WoC SDK takes care of reading the mod's default unit XML and then it merges the changes from all modules the specified xml modifiers.

Now you might ask "Why should I use WoC format instead of BtS default?". Because with WoC several modules can apply changes to default stuff and in BtS format only the last loaded will be applied. So please try to always from now on make modules in WoC style and if you change some default RoM objects to behave differently, only have the changed xml modifiers in your module. If you do not, then you probably break other modules and cause all kinds of conflicts between different modules.

Another thing that I recently thought was that each module could probably add modular concept info to sevopedia's RoM concepts list - I'll have to test if this is possible to make. This way each module could have "readme" inside the game in RoM concepts pages. :)

Anyway, I can add some smaller modmods to main modpack in future versions. They could be located in Unloaded Modules just like the few other modmods already are or I could have them enabled by default, if I think they're great addition to the RoM ;)

i think this post needs it's own thread just incase it has been missed!

As an example Vincentz Jungle camp mod does it the wrong way. WoC SDK takes care of reading the mod's default unit XML and then it merges the changes from all modules the specified xml modifiers.

Could you please specify that.

This is how the junglecamp units look like. I dont think it could be more modular, but if its wrong then I stand corrected :

EDIT : Nwm. I just saw zappara's post date and double checked it with my 1.2 upload date. Though I already had made the WoC changes before the post date, I didnt upload it before 2 days after zappara posted. Makes sense.
BTW thanks to whoever suggested I put upload dates on my mod. It can be quite helpfull even for me (with a memory like a swizz cheese ;))

Spoiler :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Alex Mantzaris (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Unit Infos -->
<Civ4UnitInfos xmlns="x-schema:JUNGLECAMP_CIV4UnitSchema.xml">
	<UnitInfos>
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_WORKER</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_WORKER</Type>
			<Builds>
				<Build>
					<BuildType>BUILD_JUNGLE_CAMP</BuildType>
					<bBuild>1</bBuild>
				</Build>
			</Builds>
		</UnitInfo>
		<UnitInfo>
			<Type>UNIT_INDIAN_FAST_WORKER</Type>
			<Builds>
				<Build>
					<bBuild>1</bBuild>
				</Build>
			</Builds>
		</UnitInfo>
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_WORKER_ANDROID</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_WORKER_ANDROID</Type>
			<Builds>
				<Build>
					<bBuild>1</bBuild>
				</Build>
			</Builds>
		</UnitInfo>
	</UnitInfos>
</Civ4UnitInfos>

BTW thanks to whoever suggested I put upload dates on my mod.

I just started doing that too. Go figure.

I think (as others have mentioned) we need to create a sticked thread that ONLY modmoders can post in, with only 1-2 posts each (depending on content) that list all their modmods. That way we have a central location to get everything.

Could you please specify that.

This is how the junglecamp units look like. I dont think it could be more modular, but if its wrong then I stand corrected :

EDIT : Nwm. I just saw zappara's post date and double checked it with my 1.2 upload date. Though I already had made the WoC changes before the post date, I didnt upload it before 2 days after zappara posted. Makes sense.
BTW thanks to whoever suggested I put upload dates on my mod. It can be quite helpfull even for me (with a memory like a swizz cheese ;))

Spoiler :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Alex Mantzaris (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Unit Infos -->
<Civ4UnitInfos xmlns="x-schema:JUNGLECAMP_CIV4UnitSchema.xml">
	<UnitInfos>
		<UnitInfo>
			<Type>UNIT_WORKER</Type>
			<Builds>
				<Build>
					<bBuild>1</bBuild>
				</Build>
			</Builds>
		</UnitInfo>
		<UnitInfo>
			<Type>UNIT_INDIAN_FAST_WORKER</Type>
			<Builds>
				<Build>
					<bBuild>1</bBuild>
				</Build>
			</Builds>
		</UnitInfo>
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_WORKER_ANDROID</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_WORKER_ANDROID</Type>
			<Builds>
				<Build>
					<bBuild>1</bBuild>
				</Build>
			</Builds>
		</UnitInfo>
	</UnitInfos>
</Civ4UnitInfos>
Yup, I guess I had downloaded the older version which didn't have modules yet in WoC format. Anyway, as you've shown, the above method is correct way to make the modules if your modmod changes any of the default RoM objects. :)

Top Bottom