Pirates

brewgod

Prince
Hello Civ Fans

Anyone else getting stuck on Pirates at "Retrieving Host Information "

Should this scenario be available in Single Player or just Multiplayer.

Thanks

Brew God

Same here, stuck. Maybe day one teething. I'm guessing you have the option for single player once you are in the game set up.

I had the same problem, so i searched for a games in internet(not sure if name is corectly translated to my language) options, there are plenty of lobbies with pirates that works.

I had the same problem, so i searched for a games in internet(not sure if name is corectly translated to my language) options, there are plenty of lobbies with pirates that works.

Still not a solution for people wanting to play solo.

You can set up a private multiplayer game and choose all your opponents as AI.

I used to play the War Machine multiplayer scenario in this way.

You can set up a private multiplayer game and choose all your opponents as AI.

I used to play the War Machine multiplayer scenario in this way.
It's also how I used to play my immortal SP games because I could set the AI as immortal, put myself on deity which had the effect of having stronger CS surviving longer early game.

I think there were (are?) similar issues with Red Death. The “matchmaking” is wonky at best. The only way I’ve ever got a game is to view the game browser.

Thanks EthiOPia, that worked going into Multiplayer Setup instead of the Pirates setup. Just selected setup Pirate game and in I go...
Yep, tried it out. It's a decent beer & pretzels scenario. The AI haven't been taught the concept of self-preservation.

100% this should be a single player scenario. They finally make a scenario that I have interest in and they make me look at a loading screen for everything but my turn.

To troll you even more, you can hear your ships getting attacked, but you can't see what is happening. When it's your turn. Surprise! Your ship was sunk. Too bad you couldn't see what the other players were doing to learn and develop strategy.

The other thing that is not acceptable is the turn limit. In 60 turns I had been able to visit about an 1/8 of the map.

Please make this single player and a proper game mode that can be played to completion.

I had the scenario crash on me after the last (other) human player left. The game froze and I couldn't even CTRL-ALT-DELETE it. I saw the "Crash Report" pop up, but I'm unsure if my report went through. Restarting the computer and playing it again, I had no issues.

I like it though; it's simple, but has some nice tactical layers and it's good fun with other humans (if anything it's the AI French/Spanish/Dutch/British carpet of sloops that I find irritating).

I tried out this scenario in single player, but I don't think I will be spending much time on it. For one thing it was really short, and for another the AI is a real pushover. I get that it is designed for multiplayer, and assume it is more fun that way.

It's been 15 years since we had a new pirates game or remake now. The one that came out in 2005 was good, but far too easy. I wouldn't mind another remake or sequel at this point.

The other thing that is not acceptable is the turn limit. In 60 turns I had been able to visit about an 1/8 of the map.
Maybe try to capture more ships. I'm able to explore the entire caribbean (minus the pacific, way to difficult to walk around) by having a big fleet in each area.

My main complain would be that Fighting points is too easy to rack up and Infamous too difficult.

Maybe try to capture more ships. I'm able to explore the entire caribbean (minus the pacific, way to difficult to walk around) by having a big fleet in each area.

My main complain would be that Fighting points is too easy to rack up and Infamous too difficult.

Certainly. To be fair I have only tried one game. Map size is probably the disparity here, but maybe not. I played the Caribbean, which I believe is large. A big part of it is how little you can do each turn. Capture a trade vessel. Next Turn. Visit a city. Next turn. etc.

I did capture a few ships, but they were almost exclusively attacked from an unseen enemy and sank. I don't know what happened since I was looking at a loading screen for no apparent reason.

I suppose it is just frustration at how good this scenario / game mode could be vs what it is (from a single player perspective).

Certainly. To be fair I have only tried one game. Map size is probably the disparity here, but maybe not. I played the Caribbean, which I believe is large. A big part of it is how little you can do each turn. Capture a trade vessel. Next Turn. Visit a city. Next turn. etc.

I did capture a few ships, but they were almost exclusively attacked from an unseen enemy and sank. I don't know what happened since I was looking at a loading screen for no apparent reason.

I suppose it is just frustration at how good this scenario / game mode could be vs what it is (from a single player perspective).
I also play as SP on the Caribbean (and is baffled at how many Spanish bases there are compared to everyone else). I quickly visit cities early and capture Brigantines then heal them immediately. The earlier you do this, the more movement you'll get in total (which is needed to explore, find treasures, get more crews), and more experience for your ships (which leads to interesting promotions like +10 strength or +1 additional attack, which doesn't cost movement points). I also try to pick lone ships first and avoid treasure fleets until later. Even weak sloops will do the treasure-hunting jobs well.

Also apparently it is possible to Coastal Raid your own treasure, I believe this is a bug.

00% this should be a single player scenario. They finally make a scenario that I have interest in and they make me look at a loading screen for everything but my turn.
Run the game via Multi-player->Local Network.
Leave all of the other players as Computer/AI.
Then you will see the AI's turns instead of a Loading Screen.

Sounds like you are running "Hot Seat" - which does show a loading screen when it's not your active turn.

I also recommend increasing the other pirate AI's by 1 or 2 levels to increase their overall survivability.

I also recommend increasing the other pirate AI's by 1 or 2 levels to increase their overall survivability.
But they would still fail to collect gold and eventually vanish because of mutiny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom