Planetfall

Patch 13c for Planetfall, the Alpha Centauri total conversion mod for Civ4 BtS, has been released. This patch needs to be applied on top of the main v13 file of Planetfall. This is a fix patch for code mistakes for features introduced in the previous patch. The patch doesn't break savegames, but unfortunately it won't fix the mentioned bugs in games already in progress.

Changelog:

1. Buildings graphics update by GeoModder.
2. Datalinks text by Pickly.
3. The Hive can hurry Genejack Factories with population.
4. Fixed a bug introduced in the previous patch: the Planetary Council once again works properly.
5. Fixed a bug introduced in the previous patch: Spies are no longer visible to everyone.
6. Fixed a bug introduced in the previous patch: the AI will once again build terrain improvements that provide negative Planet.

It is in the right directory

Can you post what directory that is?

I have the latest patch

What patch is that? Do you have the BtS patch 3.19?

I am running it with Vista in compatibility mode for Windows XP as an admin.

Compatibility mode isn't necessary. Try again without it.

Other mods work.

Do you mean official Firaxis mods included with the game, or usermade mods you downloaded here?

Patch 13d for Planetfall, the Alpha Centauri total conversion mod for Civ4 BtS, has been released. This patch needs to be applied on top of the main v13 file of Planetfall. This is a fix patch for code mistakes in features introduced in the previous two patches. Patch d doesn't break games started under patch c. Patch c and d do cause crashes in games started under patch b.

Changelog:

1. Free Drone cityset by Lord Tirian.
2. Espionage screen and spies fixed.
3. The Planetary Datalinks now require Cybernetics.

I need some kind of resource to build native units like mind worms. What is it? It is some kind of greek letter that looks like a trident. I can't find a reference or a name for it in any of the civopedia. Please, for the sake of my security, what do I need?

I need some kind of resource to build native units like mind worms. What is it? It is some kind of greek letter that looks like a trident. I can't find a reference or a name for it in any of the civopedia. Please, for the sake of my security, what do I need?

Those two posts might answer your question:

Post #977:

The second requirement is enough "PSI potential" - it is the accumulated Planet Attitude (= the individual figure which is displayed in every base right to happiness/health, it is the difference of the positive and negative factors) of all bases over all turns. For each +100 of PSI potential you can support one native unit. If you have exceeded the limit, no more units can be built.
This applies BTW also for captured native life, it counts against the same limit and you cannot capture, if you don't have at least +100 PSI potential "free". Also, each native unit you currently control, will reduce the PSI potential by one per turn (as compensation for those units not costing gold to maintain)

#1077:

You need to have 100 positive points of PSI potential stored to maintain one PSI unit -means you need to have 200, if you have already have one and you like to try to train or capture another one. The PSI potential is generated by excess planet value generated from your bases. It comes mainly from allowing Fungus/Hybrid Forest in the radii of your bases, employing Empaths, avoiding polluting improvements or certain ressources.It hasn't to do anything with the FC.

You find the value both in the base screen and on the main map in the left upper corner - just hoover over the Red/Green heart. The last number in the pop up is your current PSI potential which you have accumulated over the course of the game - it might be negative, which means no training or capturing native life.

Take a look at the beginner's guide - it's Psi Potential, i.e. the positive planet points you accumulated throughout the game. If you hover over the planet value widget on the main screen (the red/green heart in the top left panel on the main screen), you'll see how much psi potential you have and how many additional native lifeforms you can breed/control.

Of course, this means you need to be sufficiently planet-friendly to use native forces.

EDIT: Beaten by Pfeffersack... of course, since this question appears to pop up frequently (since Psi Potential is a concept that's not reflected in vanilla Civ4 at all), it might deserve an entry in the FAQ?

Cheers, LT.

Is there any way to download the older version of Planetfall, compatible with BtS 3.17?

Fantastic mod. I love it when I can find something like this that gives an old game completely new playability. Couple of issues/bugs though:

1. Someone whom I had open borders treaty with conquered one of my cities with a chopper without fighting the units inside and without declaring war. Unfortunately, this was several games ago and I didn't keep the save. Is it helpful to keep the save games and somehow upload them when these bugs are encountered or is telling you about them sufficient?

2. Only 2 corporations are listed as taking a Great Person. Is this the case? How do you form the other corporations?

3. The garland crater claims to give iridium without any prerequisite technologies or improvements but doesn't do so.

4. Some squares appear to randomly have access to fresh water. I actually like this feature, it accurately portrays access to underground reservoirs. I was just curious if there's any rhyme or reason to it; the squares with it seem completely random.

Fantastic mod. I love it when I can find something like this that gives an old game completely new playability. Couple of issues/bugs though:

1. Someone whom I had open borders treaty with conquered one of my cities with a chopper without fighting the units inside and without declaring war. Unfortunately, this was several games ago and I didn't keep the save. Is it helpful to keep the save games and somehow upload them when these bugs are encountered or is telling you about them sufficient?

Keeping saves is crucial. Important is always the save before something happening, often also the saves of a couple of turns before (sometimes their is a delay between cause and effect). It is recommended to change the sutosave interval to 1 and to keep more then the default number of autosaves stored (30 or more) - the FAQ explains how to do that.
I have never encountered the issue you described and without a save it is sadly impossible to say what happened here.

2. Only 2 corporations are listed as taking a Great Person. Is this the case? How do you form the other corporations?

Yes, though the GPs are just an optional way of obtaining the corporation - you can build all of them regularly as building or national SP for Morgan.

3. The garland crater claims to give iridium without any prerequisite technologies or improvements but doesn't do so.

:confused: The Garland Crater entry does not talk about Iridium at all, while the Iridium entry lists Industrial Automation as prequesite. Or to which other source of info you are refering?

4. Some squares appear to randomly have access to fresh water. I actually like this feature, it accurately portrays access to underground reservoirs. I was just curious if there's any rhyme or reason to it; the squares with it seem completely random.

Jungle tiles give fresh water to surrounding tiles, the same applies for tiles with the Condenser improvement.

Can you post what directory that is?

What patch is that? Do you have the BtS patch 3.19?

Compatibility mode isn't necessary. Try again without it.

Do you mean official Firaxis mods included with the game, or usermade mods you downloaded here?

It is here: D:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Planetfall v13

Yes, I have BtS 3.19. I actually downloaded it for this mod.

Does not work outside of compatibility mode either.

Both Firaxis mods and civfanatics mods work just fine. I have been downloading mods from here since, well, forever.

Any thoughts?

:confused: The Garland Crater entry does not talk about Iridium at all, while the Iridium entry lists Industrial Automation as prequesite. Or to which other source of info you are refering?

If you hold your curser over a Garland Crater square on the main map, it notes that the square gives iridium but doesn't list any prerequisites. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on all the other issues.

Also: is there any reason to build mag tubes? They cut movement by 1/2 but I can only build them on squares that only take 1/2 movement anyway.

Is there any way to download the older version of Planetfall, compatible with BtS 3.17?
Huh... you know, 3.19 came out last summer, that's means you'd need to go back quite a couple of versions. And IIRC, Planetfall was uploaded to the gamefanaticsvault back then, which went offline in the meantime... :(

(out of curiosity, why haven't you patched to 3.19 yet?)

Cheers, LT.

If old mods are working it's unlikely you're patched to 3.19. Download and install the 3.19 patch manually to make sure it's installed, the automatic udpator often lies to the user and says it's patched when it has not. The 3.19 patch can be found here:

http://www.firaxis.com/downloads/Patch/Civ4BeyondTheSwordPatch3.19.exe

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. At this point, I just want to play the mod. My wanting is palpable.

EDIT: That was it. Huh, I never would have thought that the auto-updater was a liar... Thanks a ton!

If you hold your curser over a Garland Crater square on the main map, it notes that the square gives iridium but doesn't list any prerequisites. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on all the other issues.

Ok, haven't checked the hoover help. Not sure if it can be changed.

Also: is there any reason to build mag tubes? They cut movement by 1/2 but I can only build them on squares that only take 1/2 movement anyway.

There is a restriction that you can't built them on rocky terrain, on fungus tiles and on rigdes. Any other land tile should be fine and lead to a cut in movement costs from 1 to 1/2. Of course there are some other situation were it is possible to travel over normal, flat tiles with a speed greater then 1 (along Rivers/Coasts or Infantry with the APC special ability) without magtubes, but genenerally they have an effect. I recommend not to use them in network style like Civ4s roads but to instead build just tracks from base to base, given that the route is often used and there are no geographical obstacles in the way.

magtubes:
actually you CAN get magtubes to cross even ridges or rocky terrain: its a little more expensive though as it consumes the former: build a bunker and you get the magtube in addition :)

(out of curiosity, why haven't you patched to 3.19 yet?)

The reason I asked for a 3.17 version, is that the Japanese version of Civ4 does not have a 3.19 patch yet due to the DCBS problem. And now the civ5 is coming out, I'm quite sure the 3.19 patch won't be released forever.
Thanks for replying anyway.

>>>actually you CAN get magtubes to cross even ridges or rocky terrain: its a little more expensive though as it consumes the former: build a bunker and you get the magtube in addition <<<

Nice! :)

Is this an intended feature or a delightful side effect?

Sorry if I bumped, but I got a question. There are only seven factions, but you have leaders for the expansion packs as well. Do you plan to add their factions?

>>>actually you CAN get magtubes to cross even ridges or rocky terrain: its a little more expensive though as it consumes the former: build a bunker and you get the magtube in addition <<<

Nice! :)

Is this an intended feature or a delightful side effect?

Technically, it is probably a side effect (Forts in Civ count as road as well); gameplaywise it hasn't caused any issues so far, so it is a least not considered as a bug.

VladDrakken said:
Sorry if I bumped, but I got a question. There are only seven factions, but you have leaders for the expansion packs as well. Do you plan to add their factions?

4 of them (Svensgaard, Domai, Roze and Luttinen) are already added as CPU-factions; they will become playable in the near future. Cha Dawn will appear in future as 2nd Gaian leader, also the two Aliens leaders as complete factions. This might take some time to happen, though.

Top Bottom