• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Play the World first Screenshots!

I still don't know why Firaxis chose not to use Cunobelin as Celts' leader. Why change little things like leader names? Gamespot gave Test of Time a low rating because the reviewer didn't like the fact that Microprose changed the Horseback Riding technology to Horse Breeding. It was pretty funny. :lol:

Or they could have the attack show the dog barking, the enemy turning to run, and instead get speared in the back. The Conquistadors will be unbeatable!

As for King Brennus, the more I think about it, the better he sounds for the Celtic leader. A Gallic King, Brennus was the guy who, you shall remember, sacked Rome back in the 300s BC, back before it was anything at all, really. Luckily for Rome, there were some holy geese to meet old Brennus...

It should be pointed out that there were two Celtic leader with the name of Brennus:

1. the one who led the Gauls to the sack of Rome in 390
2. the one who led the Galatian invasion of Greece in 279 which attacked Delphi

If the makers were thinking of only one though, it was probably the no. 1.

Originally posted by calgacus
It should be pointed out that there were two Celtic leader with the name of Brennus:

1. the one who led the Gauls to the sack of Rome in 390
2. the one who led the Galatian invasion of Greece in 279 which attacked Delphi

If the makers were thinking of only one though, it was probably the no. 1.

Here's a link with another Brennus that describes him as a King of the Britons (slight Monty Python reference there :) ) and was tied to improving the city of Bristol

http://www.about-bristol.co.uk/old-01.asp

I think that there might be a chance for the Dutch to arrive in the Civ3 expansion, more likely than the Ethiopians or Saudi-Arabians:king:

Okey dokey, this is what I think the new civs will be:

1. Spanish(UU: Conquistador, Leader: Isabella)
2. Mongols(UU: Keshik, Leader: Ghengis Khan)
3. Carthaginians(UU:?, Leader: Hannibal)
4. Vikings(UU: Beserker, Leader:?)
5. Koreans(UU: Hwacha, Leader:?)
6. Celts(UU: Claymore Swordsman, Leader: Brennus)

I'm not so sure about the Celtic UU, but it could be just a regular swordsman that costs 20 less shields than normal or something.

The greatest UU the Celts ever had was the Scottish Highlander (who could be the "claymore swordsman"). This should be the UU, as he was totally Celtic, being a Gaelic speaker. The only problem is that his golden age comes almost 2000 years after the Golden Age of the Celts in continental Europe.

Other possible UUs I suppose could be a Gallic Sworsdman (remarkably similar to the pre-gunpowder Scottish Highlander) or the formidable Gallic Cavalry who were used so frequently by the Romans.

I really think that Kenneth Mac Alpin or Malcolm Canmore would have been better choices for leaders, as they ruled kingdoms which were not considered barbaric by their neighbours. Brennus was really a raider, and so would by a barbarian in the language of civ3.

hi, all

i'm corean

i registered today

i like play civ3 and now much more ..cuz..

i saw amazing news that xpack will contain corea.

i hope that corea never weak than others

and...expect who will show corea's face..

thanks read this, and forgive my poor english

Originally posted by Shabbaman
Historically, you can't have conquistadors before navigation...

I've said this before and I will say this again...the conquistador is not only the soldier/adventurer who helped conquer lands and peoples of the Americas. The term was first applied to those soldiers who helped retake Spain from the Moors during the "Reconquista". That's pretty much all land action and much of it was before guns had a prominent place in warfare.

Good to have you here, mercurrius. :) Who do you think will be Korea's leader?

Yeah I think Godinex is right - that mention of Carthaginians in the Mulitplayer looks like a custom-named Civ rather than a standard one. So unless anyone has something else to show us, lack of substantial evidence has forced the Carthaginians out of the list of definitely known new Civs in C3:pTW.

Originally posted by Isak
I guess I'm in a minority, but I'm definitely happy that Firaxis didn't make any kind of ship UU for the Vikings. The capabilities of the Viking longships are really overestimated - not just here on the forum, but in the real world as well.

When I fooled around with making my own Viking civ I actually chose between berzerker and longboat for UU... My conclusion was that the longboat was the natural choice after all. Why do you think they are overestimated? Without the longboats the world would probably never have heard of the Vikings. The given specific ability would be traveling over sea, or even ocean, squares. This matches well with history (they did after all reach America and had "scheduled departures" to Iceland) and gives an interesting ability rather than the usual +1 A/D/M. I also gave it an extra attack point though, since any regular galley should fear being boarded by a shipload of madmen with huge beards and bad breaths :D. But some people might think that is too much advantage...

Berzerker is ok, but not very "special".

The Vikings should of course be commercial and expansionistic, but somehow I doubt that Firaxis has the same point of view.

On the other civs I am surprised about Korea. Why squeeze in another (rather uninteresting, no offense) civ between the chinese, mongol and japanese? That's even more "crowded" than europe imo. My guess and hope is that the only piece of evidence (the UU) really belongs to China or something, like someone proposed earlier.

South America REALLY needs a civ or two for geographic balance. Firaxis just can't ignore that anymore. Modern civs like Brazil or Argentina are just plain boring so I hope for the Inca (Mayans are too close to the Aztecs).

On the other side of the pacific I have suggested the Aborigines, but Polynesian might be a better choice (including Aborigines, Maori, Hawaiian, etc). When the vikings obviously didn't get their longboat, the Polynesians could steal that UU :)

In Africa I predicted the "sure bet" Carthaginians, but I wouldn't mind yet another civ there, towards the equator, like the Massai or Ethiopians. Not very likely though...

I also agree that some kind of Arab civ should be in. (You don't have to have a picture of mohammed to have them in the game ;))

And for geographic and cultural spread, how about the Inuit (Eskimo)? There is a vast area in Alaska, nothern Canada and Greenland that could be put into good use.

Ouch, I was just going to answer the Viking thing, but it went on... :D

Zerzes, I agree with your arguments on the Viking UU pretty much completely. Who needs another UU with just +1 A/D/M? Not sure why you choose Commerical for the Vikings though, but I can see expansionistic. But then, there aren't many to choose from - I don't see them as being very strongly religious, though that's still very relevant to them. I definitely don't see them as Scientific. The only one that sounds right to me is Militaristic.. just because they were very much like that!

Personally I think having the Koreans is cool enough. Your arguments on cluttering Asia are only really valid on an Earth map, surely?!

I think Mayans would be cool indeed, and also Ethiopians is a good one. But they've got free range here - they could make a completely new Civ. Who said it absolutely must be on Earth? :D We've only seen one of the extra terrain sets, right? ;)

Originally posted by Zerzes
When I fooled around with making my own Viking civ I actually chose between berzerker and longboat for UU... My conclusion was that the longboat was the natural choice after all. Why do you think they are overestimated? Without the longboats the world would probably never have heard of the Vikings. The given specific ability would be traveling over sea, or even ocean, squares. This matches well with history (they did after all reach America and had "scheduled departures" to Iceland) and gives an interesting ability rather than the usual +1 A/D/M.
That's not bad - I would say that was the least incorrect way to give them a Naval advantage. :D
The reason I won't say entirely correct, is because this was only the Norwegian vikings - The Swedes and Danes rarely ventured away from the coast. But I guess compromises like this will have to be made when trying to come up with a Viking unity - something there never was in the real world.
I also gave it an extra attack point though, since any regular galley should fear being boarded by a shipload of madmen with huge beards and bad breaths :D. But some people might think that is too much advantage...
Well it is the sort of stuff that Viking Public relations dept. has been spreading since around 700 AD, so it's understandable. However, there are really no confirmed sources of Vikings actively boarding ships. Most of their attacks were on land. Their boats would be hauled up halfway on a beach, ready to depart if need be, and if they met any kind of organized resistance, they most often "chickened out". Their chief elements were not Battle Prowess, but fear and surprise (like a certain Pythonish Spanish Inquisition) :)
Berzerker is ok, but not very "special".
I agree. I'm also totally unable to think of an alternative
The Vikings should of course be commercial and expansionistic, but somehow I doubt that Firaxis has the same point of view.
We'll just have to educate them, then ;)
South America REALLY needs a civ or two for geographic balance. Firaxis just can't ignore that anymore. Modern civs like Brazil or Argentina are just plain boring so I hope for the Inca (Mayans are too close to the Aztecs).
Definitely should be Incas instead of modern civs

Originally posted by Frimlin
Yeah I think Godinex is right - that mention of Carthaginians in the Mulitplayer looks like a custom-named Civ rather than a standard one. So unless anyone has something else to show us, lack of substantial evidence has forced the Carthaginians out of the list of definitely known new Civs in C3:pTW.

Hannibal is listed as one of the leaders in the promo materials so I think that confirms Carthage.

Hello! I'm so happy that I can be a new resistor today~ Actually here is very night time, but I couldn't get a sleep because of the news about "Play the world". Especially, it's amazing that Korean is included in the package.
Well, whacha is a good unit as a sort of cannon, but who will be the leader of Korean? I think it should be a anciant one so maybe...Emperor Kwang-Gae-To who was one of the greatest leader Korean still reminds.

Top Bottom