mtrein

Chieftain
My video card arrived and I played the demo yesterday. Here are my specs:

Quad C2D 6600
Sapphire Radeon 4830
Windows 7 64 bit
2 gb ram ddr2 800
sata 2 hard drive, 320gb

As you can see, not cutting edge. My resolution is 1280x1024, and everything played very smoothly indeed... No crashes, no glitches, nothing bad (only some load times are a bit high, such as when a leader contacts me... Loading time can take about 10-15 seconds when that happens). End of turn is fine, takes about 5 seconds, 10 seconds maximum.

I did notice those red blotches on some terrain, though, as well as the "hot amber" thing on a tile as well. I guess these will be corrected in a patch.

I played on prince, as the Egyptians, until the 100th turn. I had 5 cities (I managed to take Antium from Rome). I liked the game very much but it seems a bit less complex than Civ 4. But that is just an initial impression. I was ally with a city state and a friend to two others, and almost friend with a fourth. It seemed to me that I was better off overall than the other civilizations, except on happiness (mind you, my citizens were happy, just not as happy as the others). I also managed to build the pyramids :p

About the city states, I quite like the idea, but I also wish I could turn it off on some games. Would that be possible in the full version, I wonder? If not, there will probably be a mod for it.

I should play the full game today, I will post my observations here as well.

I hope Neal takes the King of the World series to V :)

Yep you can turn em off. :)

Good news, then, Lemmy :)

I hope so too, Neal and all others :)

Forum games are sooo nice to read at work.

Oh, so true. Neal's series is the only one I read so far, and I still haven't read his last one (I just finished Peter). Neal is certainly an easy writer, his posts are very entertaining and well written. Any others you can recommend? Not too many, please, otherwise I will never get any work done :p

I can't wait for TMIT to post some Let's Play Videos for Civ5.

Will be interesting to watch his approach to the new game.

I felt the same when playing the demo - altough there are pretty good ideas implemented ( Vivat "hexwar" system ) and the graphic is amazing, but I regretted to find the simplicated culture, and missed the religion as well.

City-states are good ideas, but it also needs some polising - for warmongers, for example, it may seem much more simple to conquer them than feeding with gold/stuff :)

Comparing to CivIV, where you are forced to have a balance between money/cult/science and must count its consequences, so you are force to think in long terms, in this new system it feels a little a "short-termed" thinking - something like the game Anno 1701, but it may be a bad comparison here.

I think the polished culture/religion/spy etc. system seems intentionally missed out, to include it based on the feedback of the civ community. They focused on the new things first - and they did a good job on this field.

So I still keep myself at CivIV - once the first big expansion with the missing stuff is out, I gonna get it - sorry guys.

I felt the same when playing the demo - altough there are pretty good ideas implemented ( Vivat "hexwar" system ) and the graphic is amazing, but I regretted to find the simplicated culture, and missed the religion as well.

City-states are good ideas, but it also needs some polising - for warmongers, for example, it may seem much more simple to conquer them than feeding with gold/stuff :)

Comparing to CivIV, where you are forced to have a balance between money/cult/science and must count its consequences, so you are force to think in long terms, in this new system it feels a little a "short-termed" thinking - something like the game Anno 1701, but it may be a bad comparison here.

I think the polished culture/religion/spy etc. system seems intentionally missed out, to include it based on the feedback of the civ community. They focused on the new things first - and they did a good job on this field.

So I still keep myself at CivIV - once the first big expansion with the missing stuff is out, I gonna get it - sorry guys.

I agree with you, but it is not as bad as it sounds. The game is different. It seems simpler, but it is still very fun. I am thinking that when the first mods start coming out, it will be very interesting indeed. I think if you decide to get it now or later it won't be much of a difference, since as soon as you get bored with the core V there will be quite a few mods and maps for you to try. This community is simply awesome. :)

Top Bottom